• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master29

Established Member
My personal favourite would have been the old blue grey inter city livery but I suppose that was asking too much. Most people alive wouldn`t even remember the old LNER livery anyway. I suppose I`m being nostalgic too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
It's a tidy enough livery but it certainly extends the 'nothing special' vibe about the 800s to the exterior. The AT300 is a smart-looking train in my opinion but this livery doesn't really bely its express designation at all, it's a very commuter EMU look. I'm not saying it should be an old nostalgic pre-nationalisation style livery as many seem to want, but it doesn't have any of the class that the old GNER livery or current GWR livery have. Even the previous DOR East Coast livery was OK due to having a fairly distinctive all-over colour to it, basic though it was. More colour on the driving vehicles and it'd probably be fine. The faux-panelled effect on the sides between the windows is an interesting touch but it clashes quite badly with the DfT standard issue plastic interior within.

ash39

Established Member
That is an embarrassment. Looks like a kids toy you'd see in a pound shop.

ash39

Established Member
Well I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if I'd designed that I'd be embarassed to put my name to it.

corsaVXR

I like the overall shape, but the bit at the front is a bit coke can - too many changing curves. Partly due to the drive side window not being in alignment. Not a fan of the silver and the bit under the lights. I think the front end could do with a bit more work.

Not fond of the Azuma stuff being plastered everywhere either. Looks a bit WordArt. Would be better if it was more subtle, such as footplates or something.

WYSH

Well I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if I'd designed that I'd be embarassed to put my name to it.
Personally don’t think it’s THAT bad it could be better and it could be worse. Don’t think it’s as bad as the current gaudy coke can livery on the HSTs/225s

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I quite like the livery. I like the way the brown stripe swooshes into the nosecone.

Undecided about the "wooden" pattern effect. Will have to see one in the flesh.

trebor79

Established Member
Looks nice other than having "Azuma" one every carriage.
The interior looks very budget, but I guess we knew that anyway.

rich-leeds

TRAX

Established Member
How does everyone seem to see the (different shades of) red stripes on the side as a wood inspiration ?

trebor79

Established Member
Apparently these are not yet the final interiors, according to this post on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChalmersCameron/status/1052243231730294785

I'm sure I've also heard David Horne suggesting there's going to be a 'big reveal' in respect of the LNER interiors for these trains.

Can't see there being much change. They're hardly likely to rip out the seats and replace them with better ones. It'll be a splash of colour here and there and perhaps some bistro style seating in the buffet car.

One thing that's occurred to me. Why are they continuing with the roll out of the seat reservation indicators on the existing trains, given they are all going out of service soon? Seems like a total waste of time, money and staff resource.

Rail Blues

I couldn't disagree more. I think it is an excellent design that suits the shape of the units.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder what we should call the new livery ?

My choice would be "Brown Derby" livery, after the ice cream and chocolate sauce dessert sold in Wimpey bars :)

I don’t think it is that black and white. If ORR reckon it’s a safety issue that’s been disregarded I’d expect age won’t come into it.

Does all seem a but un-necessary.

However a sheet of rubber between the coaches that will bend with the train on a curve, perhaps 2m high to fill the gap looks like a simple and cheap fix.

Grumbler

Does all seem a but un-necessary.

However a sheet of rubber between the coaches that will bend with the train on a curve, perhaps 2m high to fill the gap looks like a simple and cheap fix.
Why has the ORR not stopped these trains from entering service on the GWR as well?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So we have the crazy situation where a regulator says trains considered safe on one line are not safe on another line! Barmy!
Indeed it may be useful to have a built in ladder to climb on the roof during dewirements.
I’ll get my hi-vis on the way out...

GrimShady

Established Member
I think the livery would be improved of they went over to Apple Green or Caledonian Blue in place of the Virgin Red.

xc170

How does everyone seem to see the (different shades of) red stripes on the side as a wood inspiration ?

I did wonder that myself, nothing wood about it, I'd say it was more like red 'dynamic lines'...

Status
Not open for further replies.