• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Established Member
It’s distinctive, it sounds Japanese (ooooh must be high tech bullet train!), and it sounds fast.
What’s wrong with it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Brake fault according to Tyrell. Luckily only 1P56 was stuck behind it and ended up running as booked albeit late, everything else was sent round.
A bit rubbish that there was a fault after only a couple of days of passenger service.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
A bit rubbish that there was a fault after only a couple of days of passenger service.

Not rubbish really, but part of getting quite a high-tech piece of kit into full squadron service. There will be teething troubles for a while yet but as long as they learn from these problems. All part of the process.
I've not known any new traction entering service without some tech issues.

Railperf

Established Member
Actually...i think this may have been reported on the GWR thread, but there is definitely an issue with phone charging on the LNER Azuma. When i try to charge my Huawei P20 pro, the phone starts doing crazy things, the screen becomes unresponsive, and i cannot use it properly. The touchscreen only works properly when i unplug the charger cable. I tested this numerous times, and the result was the same each time...weird!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Actually...i think this may have been reported on the GWR thread, but there is definitely an issue with phone charging on the LNER Azuma. When i try to charge my Huawei P20 pro, the phone starts doing crazy things, the screen becomes unresponsive, and i cannot use it properly. The touchscreen only works properly when i unplug the charger cable. I tested this numerous times, and the result was the same each time...weird!
I had the same issue when travelling yesterdayx

samuelmorris

Established Member
No ground, so most capacitative sceeens don't work properly when the device is plugged in under such circumstances, it's fairly common with the sockets on trains - I think those on the 700s do it too?
You may also find, if your phone has a metallic casing, that it has a 'fuzzy' feel to it.

GW43125

Established Member
You may also find, if your phone has a metallic casing, that it has a 'fuzzy' feel to it.

Not so sure about "fuzzy", but I've certainly had a bit of a whack off the phone when I put it to my ear! (I use my earphones now as a result.) 458s are pretty bad for this but don't have the issue with the screen going funny, I've only noticed that on 800/802.

jimm

Established Member
Years of bleating pushing the DfT decision.

If you don't want to accept that the DfT approach to these trains has always been 'we know best' - something that has been well documented in the railway press since the early days of the IEP project (train concepts that defied the laws of physics being one of the best) and in comments on this forum and elsewhere from people with insider experience of DfT's attitude - that's your problem.

Of course, if you want to show us evidence of the intense anti-buffet lobbying by Reading commuters (who don't even have a group organised to represent them) then I'll be happy to accept what you are saying.

Jurassicjewel

On Friday 17 May we were amazed to see an Azuma at Paddington having just arrived on a GWR class 800 at 13:10 . I just had time to capture this picture before it departed, presumably on some sort of test run?. Must admit I like the Azuma livery and the interior looked a lot brighter than the GWR train. it was a nice surprise to see next to a GWR class 800. Comment welcome!.

Attachments

• Azuma at Paddington!.jpg
    Azuma at Paddington!.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 246
  • Azuma at Paddington!.jpg
    Azuma at Paddington!.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 189

supervc-10

I don't think the Reading commuters would have been anti-buffet per se, but more that they would have been pro-seating. After all, I'm sure some of the Reading commuters would also use the train for long-distance journeys to the West country too!

On Moderation
If you don't want to accept that the DfT approach to these trains has always been 'we know best' - something that has been well documented in the railway press since the early days of the IEP project (train concepts that defied the laws of physics being one of the best) and in comments on this forum and elsewhere from people with insider experience of DfT's attitude - that's your problem.

Of course, if you want to show us evidence of the intense anti-buffet lobbying by Reading commuters (who don't even have a group organised to represent them) then I'll be happy to accept what you are saying.
Oh the irony of you of all people giving the “we know best” line.

jimm

Established Member
I fail to see what is ironic about a simple statement of fact about the attitude of the DfT.

Especially with this comment coming from you - someone who only the other day told us all how you knew best about what should have been done when it came to platform lengthening on the Cotswold Line, in spite of an obvious lack of knowledge on your part about a series of local factors at the various stations which meant that providing uniform 10-coach long platforms was impossible.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
From some of the videos posted online recently, they look decent enough. Nice to see moquette back in first class !

darloscott

Had a trip on one today London-Leeds, seemed perfectly capable units albeit this was off peak but the carrot of 100 extra seats per set (9 car) is an obvious boost to the fleet. Yes the seats aren't ideal (the TPE 185 I connected home on much nicer!) and pretty firm, but I wonder/hope they will soften up through more usage, they are brand new after all. Seemed to be plenty of luggage storage and the ride quality seemed far better than the Mk4 set I used going south last week. The interior was a bit stark and white which is fine during the day but I wonder what it will be at night. Having said that I've used some 360s and 387s at night over last few days and they were ok (albeit short journeys).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I rode 800 113 today.

My immediate impression is it's good; but for all the various comments it is - apart from being red and not green inside - exactly identical to the GWR units.

Interestingly it looks like different sets have different headrests in first class? I was on one last week that had leather headrests but today it's got the fabric headrests as shown in the original pictures. The leather ones are much nicer, and adjustable too.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We've had a few posts of late that would have been better suited to the GWR 800 thread (or even a whole new thread). We don't need to rehash discussions about whether Reading Commuters are the in the centre of the universe or not, whether the GWR IETs should or shouldn't have buffets, etc etc. Please ensure that future posts remain focused on the introduction of LNER's Azumas.

Thanks,
ainsworth74

gavin

Azuma via Saxilby this morning overhead wire damage on the SB line south of Retford

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
How do you work that out then? The affected train never went on GWR services.
It's basically the same unit though, just because it isn't the same exact set number as a unit that worked the GWR route is kind of irrelevant, the testing regime for all the routes the 800 series will work, including LNER's routes has been extremely intensive. That the inaugural services went without a hitch suggests this is a regular unit fault, probably nothing to do with the new route the units are now working. The comment being made is that this occurring after a few days in service is poor. I don't disagree, though again, I expect reliability to improve over time. I still don't think these units will make it very far up the reliability league tables, the quality just doesn't seem to be there. However, the reliability of the 91/Mk4 fleet is already very poor, so the 800s should still present a big improvement, even if they make it seem like Desiros run on magic fairy dust.

westv

Established Member
I assume it all depends on whether you consider a fault being with one new individual unit or a fault with one out of a number of units some new and some not quite so new.

Master29

Established Member
I think that too many people on here are comparing the GWR ones to the LNER ones on the basis that they are all the same. They may look the same but they are not!!
They`re almost exactly the same train in every way. Different coloured seats and an all electric version (which should have been the 9 car GWR`s in the first place) doesn`t count. As railperf says, please enlighten us.

Swimbar

They`re almost exactly the same train in every way. Different coloured seats and an all electric version (which should have been the 9 car GWR`s in the first place) doesn`t count. As railperf says, please enlighten us.

I was assured that the set wiring and associated hardware had been updated but I bow to your greater knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.