• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Just that NRES says the diversions start after 1300. Surely that’ll be the time they get into in the relevant area, not necessarily the start of their journey?
I don’t know anymore than the guard saying ‘due to overrunning engineering works’

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t know anymore than the guard saying ‘due to overrunning engineering works’

I would suggest the guard has just confused themselves slightly. The engineering works are from Saturday afternoon through to Sunday morning (ish). Sadly you're train being late means that you've missed your window to get through the mainline before it shut for the engineering work.

I imagine the guard just accidentally mixed the two in their head and come up with overrunning engineering works.

Bayum

Established Member
I would suggest the guard has just confused themselves slightly. The engineering works are from Saturday afternoon through to Sunday morning (ish). Sadly you're train being late means that you've missed your window to get through the mainline before it shut for the engineering work.

I imagine the guard just accidentally mixed the two in their head and come up with overrunning engineering works.
Possibly. I don't know if I'm honest. As I say, was just a bit miffed about the whole situation! Spent my bus journey into York stressing I'd miss the train because of the race and market traffic, then it turned up 40 down, it wasn't an 800 AND we were almost two hours late. So yeah.

Anyone have any idea whether the 1730 Kings X to York will be an Azuma tomorrow?

CR165022

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but does anyone know if/when 800101 will go in Service/get lner livery if it hasn't already

Stathern Jc

I'm glad LNER are listening. Now if they could only install some better seats and some more 1 plus table plus 1 seats we'd be on our way to something moderately acceptable.
Haven't yet been on an Azuma, but will be on the Chieftain from Newcastle on what should be the first service Azuma into Inverness on Monday 9th so will have a better awareness of them then. My first reaction when booking tickets was surprise at there being just one "table for 2" in each coach. I would have thought that despite the wish to provide for solo business travellers, these were very popular and will be missed.
With the multitude of single "airline" seats and windows having built in blinds rather than curtains, I wonder if there have been disagreements as to whether the blinds are closed or left open? Sounds as if it could be a cause of "irritation".

GrimShady

Established Member
Haven't yet been on an Azuma, but will be on the Chieftain from Newcastle on what should be the first service Azuma into Inverness on Monday 9th so will have a better awareness of them then. My first reaction when booking tickets was surprise at there being just one "table for 2" in each coach. I would have thought that despite the wish to provide for solo business travellers, these were very popular and will be missed.
With the multitude of single "airline" seats and windows having built in blinds rather than curtains, I wonder if there have been disagreements as to whether the blinds are closed or left open? Sounds as if it could be a cause of "irritation".

Good luck to you sir is all I'll say. Please do post your observations of the train though. Just don't expect much.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You get disagreements over blinds on all trains that have them regardless of the seating layout. They are an almightily stupid idea when compared with curtains which allow each seat to choose the position of their own window covering.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must just be travelling around, er, blind as I've yet to come across any disputes between passengers regarding blinds!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I must just be travelling around, er, blind as I've yet to come across any disputes between passengers regarding blinds!

This may be something that affects us taller passengers, as the most common way of using them when it's sunny is to pull down to just above eye level to avoid dazzling - the trouble is that my eye level is about 6" higher than most other peoples' and I like looking out!

You do get the odd person who just pulls them down completely to work on a laptop etc - given that there are blank wall seats on most trains I don't get why they don't choose those seats instead.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This may be something that affects us taller passengers, as the most common way of using them when it's sunny is to pull down to just above eye level to avoid dazzling - the trouble is that my eye level is about 6" higher than most other peoples' and I like looking out!

I mean I'm 6'2" so unless you're pushing 7'...

GrimShady

Established Member
You get disagreements over blinds on all trains that have them regardless of the seating layout. They are an almightily stupid idea when compared with curtains which allow each seat to choose the position of their own window covering.

Agreed. Why make the arrangement more complicated than it needs to be Vs some cloth and curtain hinges?

Another stupid modernism.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I mean I'm 6'2" so unless you're pushing 7'...

Maybe we just come across different other passengers! It's also more of an issue outside the UK, as UK passengers tend to want to look out more than those in other countries, particularly hot places.

Though again it's a question of proportion as to how high up you sit. I have issues with headrest wings being too low on a lot of stock, for instance. I have a long body and long upper leg but shortish lower leg (and am 2" taller than you) - which is just about the worst proportions for fitting comfortably in seats. A long lower leg as some people have barely makes any difference in modern upright seats, by comparison.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit I have seen lots of disputes about the blinds, watching an airline seat the person at the front constantly putting it down, they person behind constantly putting it up. No-one said anything to either. But yes considering seats existing looking at plastic I wonder why they didn't sit at that one (although they could have had a reservation)

In my opinion having nothing would be better than a blind. (or they could have mounted them so they closed vertically - but I suspect that would cost too much)

bramling

Veteran Member
I must admit I have seen lots of disputes about the blinds, watching an airline seat the person at the front constantly putting it down, they person behind constantly putting it up. No-one said anything to either. But yes considering seats existing looking at plastic I wonder why they didn't sit at that one (although they could have had a reservation)

In my opinion having nothing would be better than a blind. (or they could have mounted them so they closed vertically - but I suspect that would cost too much)

Blinds are a really stupid idea when shared between more than one row of seats.

Is there any scope to discreetly wedge something in the runner to stop them being lowered?

westv

Established Member
Was in a 225 1st class coach this morning for the first time in quite a long while.
Definitely a lot plusher than an Azuma.

Where will the Chieftain change to/from diesel - Stirling?

Yes according to this tweet exchange from the Safety & Operations Director of LNER.

https://twitter.com/warrick7622/status/1199304006012743680

Warrick Dent

@warrick7622

Nov 26
One of the many benefits of the new @lner #Azuma is the Automatic Power Change Over (APCO) seen here taking place at Haymarket on our inaugural Aberdeen service. Allowing us to seamlessly switch to electric traction where OLE exists.

@KiNg_Of_PiNg
Nov 26
Will this happen at Stirling on the Inverness service?

@warrick7622
Replying to
@KiNg_Of_PiNg @AlexHynes and @LNER
Yes it will.
12:28 PM · Nov 26, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Established Member
I've done a lot of travel in First Class on Azumas over the past week and been very happy with their practicality, space and service. I've forgotten how firm the seats are and just got on with my work.

It's a funny bit of psychology though. I wouldn't under any circumstances give GWR the extra for First on IET. Partly because what they offer is all round poor value, but also partly because of the grey old world that is GWR IET cabins. I've already started to get quite fond of the dark reds and greys on First in the the Azumas.

deltic08

On Moderation
I was on the Azuma press launch from Harrogate on Tuesday. Pretty unremarkable journey especially as the line speed is 60mph and we stopped at every block signal from Weeton to Leeds behind a late running stopper and then waited for platform 1 to vacate.

Marton

Just been in M for the first time.

Other than overhead lockers and the gap between the backs of the two 4 table seats. there is no luggage space.
My case used to fit between MkIV seats; but not on Azuma. I had to use the, fortuitously empty, wheelchair spaces.

It confirms the comment by a crew member recently “commuter not long distance trains”.

Stathern Jc

Just been in M for the first time.

Other than overhead lockers and the gap between the backs of the two 4 table seats. there is no luggage space.
My case used to fit between MkIV seats; but not on Azuma. I had to use the, fortuitously empty, wheelchair spaces.

It confirms the comment by a crew member recently “commuter not long distance trains”.

JOPSUK mentions on #2690 the different numbers of seats compared with HSTs & Mk4 sets, and I suspect there is undue enthusiasm to grab headlines about the extra seats which wouldn't be exclusive to any particular franchise.
However, I always think that on a crowded train it would be preferable to sacrifice a couple of seats in a coach to free up sufficient floor space to allow those unfortunate enough to be standing to be able to do so without tripping over the obstacles on the floor. Apologies for drifting a little away from this topic but several references are made in the Scotrail HST thread to luggage / overcrowding problems on the Highland Main Line services, and no doubt on numerous other threads too.

westv

Established Member
I just got an email about my LNER Hull to London service on Monday.

"When you purchased your ticket, the journey was scheduled to be on one of our 9-coach Azuma trains. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen timetable changes we may need to use one of our 5-coach Azuma trains for this service instead"

The thing is that I looked at what service was scheduled to run on 20/1 - the latest for which AP tickets are available. That is a 5 coach train too. I do wonder what this "unforeseen timetable change is" and how long it will last. Last week the service was 5 coaches and the TM had to apologise to passengers for the lack of space.

Sleeperwaking

Could be due to one of the 9-cars being timetabled for extensive repairs after the Neville Hill collision...

Status
Not open for further replies.