• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER cancellations out of Kings Cross (15/02)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
There have been a number of LNER cancellations (5 so far) out of Kings Cross tonight. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Burrows

Failure of an up train north of Newark Crossing - up line blocked for about 3 hours before it moved into Newark and presumably terminated.

dan4291

I must have passed this not long after it failed whilst heading north. Saw LNER trains held at all stations further north and even stacked up on the Up Slow north of York! It was rescued by 66795 and headed north, assuming back to Neville Hill?

DanNCL

Established Member
I do have to wonder what the logic behind using 66795 to shift the failed train to Newark North Gate in the first place instead of summoning the 67 straight away was. If it enabled the set to move quicker I'd have understood it, but I struggle to believe it would have taken as long as 3 hours to get a 67 from Doncaster to Newark to do the rescue had that option been taken instead.

It's not been a good day for 91s on the ECML in general today. Of the 5 diagrams out, only one of them (worked by 91111) actually did a full days worth of work, the rest of them have all had services removed from their diagrams today for varying reasons (not just the failure of 91105 earlier).

I must have passed this not long after it failed whilst heading north. Saw LNER trains held at all stations further north and even stacked up on the Up Slow north of York! It was rescued by 66795 and headed north, assuming back to Neville Hill?
Hauled south to Newark by 66795, then back to Neville Hill empty by 67007.

Established Member
66795 hauled it into Newark station, where lners 67 thunderbird then eventually hauled it back to Neville Hill.
Services will be held at stations where possible when line is blocked, to prevent customers self evacuating onto the tracks.
As Retford, Doncaster and York had trains held, they then had to hold trains at Skelton Junction north of York.
York was not helped by Transpennine also suffering from disruption across the pennies so they were also being held or terminated at York.
Regarding 1Y84 the failed train, some people did actually open the doors, and were thought to be attempting to leave the train, this resulted in all lines been stopped including the Newark Castle Line, until it was established that no one had left the train.

I do have to wonder what the logic behind using 66795 to shift the failed train to Newark North Gate in the first place instead of summoning the 67 straight away was. If it enabled the set to move quicker I'd have understood it, but I struggle to believe it would have taken as long as 3 hours to get a 67 from Doncaster to Newark to do the rescue had that option been taken instead.

It's not been a good day for 91s on the ECML in general today. Of the 5 diagrams out, only one of them (worked by 91111) actually did a full days worth of work, the rest of them have all had services removed from their diagrams today for varying reasons (not just the failure of 91105 earlier).

It required a fitter from Northern’s Nevill Hill depot to make there way to Doncaster to join the 67. However as LNER services were held and cancelled, lead to believe the fitter travelled by taxi to Doncaster.
66795 was approaching Doncaster from the north where it was then decided that this would head as 1Z99 to do the rescue.
Completely agree over 3 hours for lners Thunderbird to arrive at the scene is absolutely ridiculous.

As for the 5 mark4 diagrams, 91105 is the only failure today.
The reason others didn’t complete a full diagram is solely down to 91105, as other services were cancelled due to this disruption.

DanNCL

Established Member
It required a fitter from Northern’s Nevill Hill depot to make there way to Doncaster to join the 67. However as LNER services were held and cancelled, lead to believe the fitter travelled by taxi to Doncaster.
It seems like madness. I understand the need for the fitter to move the set back to Neville Hill at any reasonable speed, but I don't understand why this would have prevented a slow speed movement (as eventually happened with 66795) to Newark North Gate to clear the line and detrain.

The reason others didn’t complete a full diagram is solely down to 91105, as other services were cancelled due to this disruption.
Part of diagram NL405 was worked by an 80x this morning, 91119 not taking over this diagram until 1A26 (11:15 Leeds - Kings Cross). So not entirely down to 91105, but indeed most of the alterations were.

Established Member
It seems like madness. I understand the need for the fitter to move the set back to Neville Hill at any reasonable speed, but I don't understand why this would have prevented a slow speed movement (as eventually happened with 66795) to Newark North Gate to clear the line and detrain.

Part of diagram NL405 was worked by an 80x this morning, 91119 not taking over this diagram until 1A26 (11:15 Leeds - Kings Cross). So not entirely down to 91105, but indeed most of the alterations were.
NL405 was due to failure of a Mk4 yesterday, 800111 came out yesterday to work 1A49 and 1N36 finishing at York. Today it worked 1Y00 then 1D06 (I think) then swapped at Leeds for the MK4.

As for slow speed move using a 67, this issue is, LNER drivers do not have coupling competence to attach a loco, again a ludicrous thing, you would of thought thunderbird drivers would have the relevant competency.

DanNCL

Established Member
As for slow speed move using a 67, this issue is, LNER drivers do not have coupling competence to attach a loco, again a ludicrous thing, you would of thought thunderbird drivers would have the relevant competency.
Makes you wonder what the point of having a 67 is if the drivers don't have coupling competence for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.