• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Class 91/Mk4 service status/withdrawals/2021 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

destere

I made this quick mockup sometime last year. Always thought silver/pewter doors ala GWR would have suited better than red - certainly makes it feel a little more modern. (I appreciate we are veering off-topic!)Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 01.01.39.png

ChilternTurbo

I had a colleague refer to GNER the other day in relation to travelling from London to Leeds. My other also referred to the 'GNER train' when travelling to York recently.

They obviously meant LNER but it's interesting how the GNER brand has stuck in some non rail enthusiasts minds. I always thought it was a classy era for the ECML.

Back on topic, I personally really like the new livery on the 91's and Mk.4s but then I always hated the VTEC colours whose vinyls looked flat and dull from day one. At least the interior refurbishment of the same time was very good.

Mogz

I had a colleague refer to GNER the other day in relation to travelling from London to Leeds. My other also referred to the 'GNER train' when travelling to York recently.

They obviously meant LNER but it's interesting how the GNER brand has stuck in some non rail enthusiasts minds. I always thought it was a classy era for the ECML.
A restaurant car on every train.. ah! Those were the days!

rdlover777

Abit like this for example, Unable to do it to the IC225 but ohwellView attachment 116193
didn't think i'd see my wikipedia diagram here of all places

the GNER livery always holds a place in my heart especially on the 373s

Last edited:

destere

I do wonder whether striped vinyl would have been a better move. Both to add to brand cohesion across the fleet and be more of a bridge between past and present. I've mocked it up here but can't make my mind up...lner1.jpg

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I do wonder whether striped vinyl would have been a better move. Both to add to brand cohesion across the fleet and be more of a bridge between past and present. I've mocked it up here but can't make my mind up...View attachment 116323
So much better. Makes it look like their own livery rather than a rushed application of their logo to BR.

Class360/1

I do wonder whether striped vinyl would have been a better move. Both to add to brand cohesion across the fleet and be more of a bridge between past and present. I've mocked it up here but can't make my mind up...View attachment 116323
Looks more like their own. Tbh they should have gone with the stripey windows as it gives it a modern twist.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Looks more like their own. Tbh they should have gone with the vinyls as it gives it a modern twist.

They haven't had a proper repaint since NX days. They need one.

43102EMR

Established Member
Looks more like their own. Tbh they should have gone with the vinyls as it gives it a modern twist.
Was part of their maintenance to receive a repaint, especially as they haven’t been repainted since the East Coast days, so over 10 years ago now. The paint work was starting to get relatively worn and tired too!

Skimble19

Established Member
That looks much better! Still in the Intercity design for the heritage nod, but far more on brand and consistent with the Azumas.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I made this quick mockup sometime last year. Always thought silver/pewter doors ala GWR would have suited better than red - certainly makes it feel a little more modern. (I appreciate we are veering off-topic!)View attachment 116207
Excellent work, I like that a lot. I've also always felt that pewter coloured doors would have been preferable to red on the GNER livery. Reminiscent of GNER's Pendolino proposal (Which was of course pre-red doors):
gner pendolino.jpg
Yes, I do prefer that, despite my fondness for the IC Swallow-derived livery as has been unveiled. In fact, despite my general antipathy towards vinyl livery components, part of me had assumed that there would be a final vinyl application over the Oxblood window band much like that generated here.

Nice to see that they've disguised the additional bodyside grille behind the cab door that's been added since their Intercity days - Being picked out in black on 91119, it sticks out like a sore thumb

Class360/1

Was part of their maintenance to receive a repaint, especially as they haven’t been repainted since the East Coast days, so over 10 years ago now. The paint work was starting to get relatively worn and tired too!
Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant the stripes.

XAM2175

Established Member
Is it not the case that the Azuma window bands are vinyls? I agree they really bring it up a notch, but I can also understand them not wanting to spring for the extra cost if they're having to repaint everything anyway.

DanNCL

Established Member
Is it not the case that the Azuma window bands are vinyls? I agree they really bring it up a notch, but I can also understand them not wanting to spring for the extra cost if they're having to repaint everything anyway.
Yes. The ‘livery’ on the Azumas as painted is DFT plain white.

Status
Not open for further replies.