• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

lner co pay checks puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

checkmate

Hi, I have got quite a few brass pay checks stamped -lner co-and a number, al normal until I discovered that the numbers were triplicated (3 of each), I also realized that they were in sets---1 with a segment cut of--1 oval---and 1 round, can anybody throw some light on this? photo attchd,thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0547[1].JPG
    IMG_0547[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Since no-one has appeared with any actual knowledge, I'll offer a bit of speculation:
  • The issuing company seems to be the pre-grouping North Eastern Railway, rather than the post-grouping LNER.
  • I wonder whether the company issued a new series of tags at intervals, changing the shape to identify the new issue. A bit similar to modern companies issuing new security cards and disabling the old ones, to prevent use of expired, lost or stolen cards.
  • If so, maybe someone like a station master collected and retained the old ones, forming your collection. The consecutive numbers might suggest that they were all issued for one location (though no 763 seems to have gone AWOL).
All guesswork on my part though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.