• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER curiosity (Advance London to Shipley and Saltaire, Saturday 14 Aug)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
I know Advance fares sometimes seem arbitrary, but can anyone work out the rationale of these?
KGX-SHY, 0833 £29.00
KGX-SAE, 0833 £72.50
Just to make clear, the two stations are on the same route out of Leeds and about 3/4 mile apart.
Answers on the proverbial postcard, anyone?

(BTW: the two previous trains are £72.50 to both places.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I know Advance fares sometimes seem arbitrary, but can anyone work out the rationale of these?
KGX-SHY, 0833 £29.00
KGX-SAE, 0833 £72.50
Just to make clear, the two stations are on the same route out of Leeds and about 3/4 mile apart.

Presumably (a) LNER has made a certain number of Advance tickets available at each price point to both Shipley and Saltaire, and (b) a lot of people want to go to Saltaire on that train so have bought all the lower-priced Advance tickets: not many people want to go to Shipley, so the cheaper tickets are still available

alistairlees

Established Member
KGX-SHY, 0833 £29.00
KGX-SAE, 0833 £72.50

Less than half a mile apart, I think.

Is it just one left at the lower price?

Veteran Member
Less than half a mile apart, I think.

Is it just one left at the lower price?
Doesn't say so!
Presumably (a) LNER has made a certain number of Advance tickets available at each price point to both Shipley and Saltaire, and (b) a lot of people want to go to Saltaire on that train so have bought all the lower-priced Advance tickets: not many people want to go to Shipley, so the cheaper tickets are still available
A logical explanation - it never occurred to me that LNER priced individual "connections" stations!

Haywain

Veteran Member
I don't know, but I would guess it's because LNER trains serve Shipley (SHY) but not Saltaire (SAE).

island

Veteran Member
One consideration will be that the Saltaire ticket will require a connection onto (I presume) Northern who will want their slice of the pie and may not have made quota available for the cheaper Advances on their trains.

One could, of course, split tickets.

skyhigh

Established Member
One consideration will be that the Saltaire ticket will require a connection onto (I presume) Northern who will want their slice of the pie and may not have made quota available for the cheaper Advances on their trains.

One could, of course, split tickets.
The 0833 quoted doesn't go to either though. Wonder if Northern availability has an impact on it when they're connections on an advance?

paul1609

Established Member
Doesnt surprise me, LNER plus connections tickets across London sre always priced as that its much cheaper to split in London 99% of the time.

Veteran Member
I don't know, but I would guess it's because LNER trains serve Shipley (SHY) but not Saltaire (SAE).
SHY level fares seem to be available at Guiseley.

Skyhigh: The 0833 quoted doesn't go to either though. Wonder if Northern availability has an impact on it when they're connections on an advance?
It does with reservable services, but these aren't (though Northern have Advances presumably with CPR)
Doesnt surprise me, LNER plus connections tickets across London sre always priced as that its much cheaper to split in London 99% of the time.
Yes, I know only too well, but that applies across the board not to random trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.