• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Delay Repay refund on both legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Was caught up in the disruption yesterday on ECML. I have two advances, Glasgow to Newcastle and Newcastle to Glasgow both for yesterday. I can get a refund on the outward leg but can I get one for the return, I didn't travel but the service ran. I wouldn't think so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
You're not eligible for delay repay.

You are eligible for a refund as you did not travel due to disruption.

robbeech

Established Member
It’s a refund from the retailer you need. Some would argue not and technically not if the return journey wasn’t disrupted but usually in this case if you contact LNER they’ll refund both legs for you. It would be useful to know the outcome of this if you do try this method.

Edit to add: this is if you bought your tickets from lner. If you bought from elsewhere it is there you’ll have to contact and the results may differ.

alistairlees

Established Member
The OP abandoned their journey because of disruption on the outward part of their journey. They are entitled to a full fee free refund of both Advance tickets from the retailer where they purchased their tickets from. It doesn’t make any difference which retailer it was.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You are entitled to a full refund of both tickets and I am reasonably confident that LNER will provide that refund without any fuss.

island

Veteran Member
If you didn’t travel, you can’t get DelayRepay, but you can have your ticket refunded if your train was delayed, or cancelled, or your reservation would not have been honoured.

Advance tickets are issued as single tickets and not returns, so as robbeech correctly observed above, your second ticket isn’t refundable if that train ran to time, although in the circumstances I do not expect there to be any issues obtaining a refund for both of your journeys.

You should address your request for a refund to whomever you purchased your ticket from, within 28 days of the day you intended on travelling.

route101

Established Member
Thanks for the advice! I will try and sort this out, not a lot of money.

alistairlees

Established Member
No problem. Remember to apply for the refund to wherever sold you the tickets.

route101

Established Member
Tickets were purchased directly from LNER.

Trying to submit picture on delay repay for outward leg and picture is over 3.5 mb. Cant compress it under 4mb.

Last edited:

trei2k

Why are you trying to submit a delay repay? You abandoned the journey.

As the previous posters have highlighted, you should be claiming a refund as you abandoned your journey.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Tickets were purchased directly from LNER.

Trying to submit picture on delay repay for outward leg and picture is over 3.5 mb. Cant compress it under 4mb.
This is not a Delay Repay claim. You need to go into your account and request a refund because you didn’t travel. Delay Reoay is for compensation for those who did travel and were delayed on their journeys.

Tazi Hupefi

Perhaps this poster needs to familiarise himself with the Greater Anglia fraud forum if he wishes to be so persistent with his delay repay claim, and ignore the other advice he's been given!

To the original poster:

APPLY FOR A REFUND - DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR DELAY REPAY.

If you've already done it, you should probably get in touch with LNER to explain your mistake immediately!

Hopefully that's cleared that up!

route101

Established Member
No idea, had delay repay in my head as guard mentioned it.

Perhaps this poster needs to familiarise himself with the Greater Anglia fraud forum if he wishes to be so persistent with his delay repay claim, and ignore the other advice he's been given!
I'm the poster. What was that about?

Tazi Hupefi

I'm the poster. What was that about?
People claiming for delay repay when not travelling (or completing their journey) have been investigated for fraud, and in some instances referred to the Police. Most have had to pay large settlements.

You can absolutely get your money back, just not using delay repay!

route101

Established Member
People claiming for delay repay when not travelling (or completing their journey) have been investigated for fraud, and in some instances referred to the Police. Most have had to pay large settlements.

You can absolutely get your money back, just not using delay repay!
Interesting. Why would they do that ? Though if i submitted that delay repay how would they know I made it to Newcastle or not.

robbeech

Established Member

To the original poster:

APPLY FOR A REFUND - DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR DELAY REPAY.

If you've already done it, you should probably get in touch with LNER to explain your mistake immediately!

Hopefully that's cleared that up!
I didn't think you'd be far away. :)
Interesting. Why would they do that ? Though if i submitted that delay repay how would they know I made it to Newcastle or not.
To make money.
How can you be sure they wouldn't know? Given that you ARE due a refund, then there is no financial benefit to you using the delay repay system even if they were to pay out. And if it were investigated (might be a month later, or 2 years later) then you could be charged with claiming delay repay for a train you were not on. In a way it's like your mate Dave owing you £20, so you steal it from his wife Sandra.

Tazi Hupefi

I didn't think you'd be far away. :)

To make money.
How can you be sure they wouldn't know? Given that you ARE due a refund, then there is no financial benefit to you using the delay repay system even if they were to pay out. And if it were investigated (might be a month later, or 2 years later) then you could be charged with claiming delay repay for a train you were not on. In a way it's like your mate Dave owing you £20, so you steal it from his wife Sandra.
He did rather ignore forum advice earlier!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Can you clarify this? On the one hand you say you didn’t travel and on the other you say the guard mentioned Delay Repay. Guards are usually only found on trains and that would suggest you did travel.

Edit: Position clarified by @AlterEgo below.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Can you clarify this? On the one hand you say you didn’t travel and on the other you say the guard mentioned Delay Repay. Guards are usually only found on trains and that would suggest you did travel.
He bailed at Edinburgh and abandoned there.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Which begs the question, how did the OP get back to Glasgow?
As I understand it, if your train is cancelled which means you cannot practically proceed, one of the options the company has is to offer to return you to your origin instead of trying to organise alternative transport. This can be helpful in disruption because it reduces the number of people queueing for buses, in need of a long-distance taxi, or, in extremis, overnight accommodation.

Once you've returned to your origin you then make your own separate arrangements, meaning that you can apply for the ticket to be refunded as unused. In other words it is as if you never left.

route101

Established Member

Edit: Position clarified by @AlterEgo below.
I was sat on a the LNER for over 2 hours, the guard made announcements onboard. I went back to Glasgow.

Status
Not open for further replies.