• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER first class lounges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperboy34

I apologise if this has been discussed before, but I was browsing to buy first class tickets with LNER. I was reading the t and c,s when I read you weren't allowed in the first class lounge, although not a frequent traveler, but the last time I traveled last year you were allowed to use them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I'm aware those Ts and Cs haven't been updated to reflect the rule change years ago now that First Advance is allowed in the Lounges. Certainly I was allowed into Darlington lounge yesterday with a First Advance and I anticipate being allowed into Edinburgh lounge later!

Established Member
I think it just hasn't been updated. I go in the lounges with Advances day in day out.

My recollection is that they started allowing Advances for lounge access in 2015 when VTEC took over from East Coast, partly on the basis that Virgin West Coast had always allowed them.

You could get round it on East Coast by running up enough points on Rewards and taking out an annual lounge pass, which was a handy thing to have.

Established Member
East Coast Rewards was scrapped in 2015 when Virgin Trains East Coast took over, more information is available here: https://saveecrewards.co.uk/content/why-were-here

Off topic I know, but does anyone know why I find myself unable to access the blog posts on their website?
Sorry, I should've said that I was referring to a pre VTEC scheme. I was just trying to illustrate how lounge access has changed over the past five years or so.

I suppose there is some justice in the world - the company that killed Rewards didn't last very long themselves...

Viperboy34

The ticket restrictions were on the TPE booking system, but I went on the LNER website , it clearly states all the tickets including the advance fares are inclusive.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The ticket restrictions were on the TPE booking system, but I went on the LNER website , it clearly states all the tickets including the advance fares are inclusive.
Yes I wouldn't worry. Most likely something in the data or the way that the data is being interpreted is faulty on the TPE website. It shouldn't be of course but when you've got so many moving parts in the ticketing system...

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
My recollection is that they started allowing Advances for lounge access in 2015 when VTEC took over from East Coast,

Nope, it was long before then, it was when EC took over from NX. I was using advances in the lounge at Kings Cross way back in 2013. For a while I seem to remember you having to pay a £5 supplement at Kings Cross (which was often well worth it!) and I genuinely can't remember if that went with VTEC or before.

The EC Rewards pass meant you could use the lounge even if you were travelling standard or on another operator. Though unless you regularly used Kings Cross, I never quite saw the point.

Established Member
Nope, it was long before then, it was when EC took over from NX. I was using advances in the lounge at Kings Cross way back in 2013. For a while I seem to remember you having to pay a £5 supplement at Kings Cross (which was often well worth it!) and I genuinely can't remember if that went with VTEC or before.

The EC Rewards pass meant you could use the lounge even if you were travelling standard or on another operator. Though unless you regularly used Kings Cross, I never quite saw the point.
I'm sure you're right, I knew that it was one of the upheavals in the mists of time that changed it.

I used the pass at Waverley more than King's Cross, it was very handy if I was waiting for other operators' trains. So I did see the point!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used the pass at Waverley more than King's Cross, it was very handy if I was waiting for other operators' trains. So I did see the point!

I got sent a three month one when VTEC had ditched Rewards but were still in "win hearts and minds" mode early in their franchise (boy did that not last long!). It was very handy at Darlington as I would be regularly heading off with other operators in standard class but could use the lounge to wait for their trains.

Established Member
Oh, and don't try and use the Aberdeen lounge with any sort of LNER ticket!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it only LNER first tickets at the lounge in Waverley?

Tickets which are valid on LNER yes. So if one has an Any Permitted first class ticket between say Edinburgh and Newcastle even if you intend to travel with TPE and XC you will be allowed entry.

If you have, for instance, an XC First Advance then no you would not be permitted access.

Established Member
Tickets which are valid on LNER yes. So if one has an Any Permitted first class ticket between say Edinburgh and Newcastle even if you intend to travel with TPE and XC you will be allowed entry.

If you have, for instance, an XC First Advance then no you would not be permitted access.
Caledonian Sleeper tickets get you in too.

Before the wheels came off VTEC you could also enter with a Virgin West Coast ticket, which was very useful for many of us on our way to Liverpool or Birmingham. This lasted for about a month after LNER took over and then that was that.

The whole First Class lounge set up across the UK is a farce. If a lounge is provided then all operators serving that station should contribute to its costs in proportion, and all of those operators' tickets should be accepted. It shouldn't be a guessing game for the passenger.

As above, Aberdeen is possibly the most ridiculous on the network with LNER ticket holders excluded. Or what about those Caledonian Sleeper lounges that only open for an hour ahead of a single departure each evening when they could be providing a useful service all day long? A government mandated waste of money and a terrible advertisement for the railway overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.