• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER HST Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CTS1990

Has anyone got any information about the future of the repainted BR Intercity set? Is this likely to be transferred to EMR?

I can’t imagine that it would be shunted away somewhere, given the cost and resources of repainting. Wouldn’t it be great to see it running in service for a year or two more?

PS - what a stunning job they’ve made of it!

On Moderation
Has anyone got any information about the future of the repainted BR Intercity set? Is this likely to be transferred to EMR?

I can’t imagine that it would be shunted away somewhere, given the cost and resources of repainting. Wouldn’t it be great to see it running in service for a year or two more?

PS - what a stunning job they’ve made of it!
It is not going to EMR. Next move likely to be to Ely for store.

Paul Kerr

The set on the tour is not planned to go to EMR.

That makes sense. Without some changes to the paint job, I don't think it could go to EMR. Safety regulations now require the doors to be a distinct colour from the rest of the bodyside for regular service carriages, do they not? The retro livery doesn't meet that requirement.

On Moderation
That makes sense. Without some changes to the paint job, I don't think it could go to EMR. Safety regulations now require the doors to be a distinct colour from the rest of the bodyside for regular service carriages, do they not? The retro livery doesn't meet that requirement.
Correct. That is a very good first reason for it to not go to EMR. Second, it has a prototype trailer in the set. Why take one if you don't have to? Third, if it was going, they'd have painted a full 8-car set, not a 7-car.

CTS1990

Correct. That is a very good first reason for it to not go to EMR. Second, it has a prototype trailer in the set. Why take one if you don't have to? Third, if it was going, they'd have painted a full 8-car set, not a 7-car.

The cutter’s torch awaits, by the sounds of things...

Stathern Jc

It does seem a pity that it won't be migrating somewhere.
I know this could be controversial. But, would it be the end of the world if (after the celebration tours have been done), the doors were to be painted the same grey as the bodyside stripe to allow continued use? That would be a subtle change, but would it be sufficiently distinct??
Also, I may well have missed something in connection with references to transfers to EMR. Do they not yet need to fit retention tanks and power operated doors? Or are they transfers of stock for refurbishment?? Clarification / pointers to posts elsewhere would be appreciated. Thanks

greatvoyager

Established Member
But Pacers were envisaged as a temporary solution, yet became the backbone of Regional trains in the capital city of Wales and also in most of Northern England ;)
Difference being that pacers were a cheap exercise using bus parts, whilst HSTs are proper trains and had lots of effort put in.

Domh245

Established Member
The cutter’s torch awaits, by the sounds of things...

Not necessarily. From Richard Clinnick's twitter - LSL being Locomotive Services Leasing, who operate heritage tour

EMFXZVHWsAUehEl

Also, I may well have missed something in connection with references to transfers to EMR. Do they not yet need to fit retention tanks and power operated doors? Or are they transfers of stock for refurbishment?? Clarification / pointers to posts elsewhere would be appreciated. Thanks

Retention tanks I'm not sure about, but power doors is a definite no. Whilst the LNER stock isn't PRM-TSI compliant, it's slightly more compliant than the EMR stock, although there isn't any plan to make them fully compliant that I'm aware of

Stathern Jc

Not necessarily. From Richard Clinnick's twitter - LSL being Locomotive Services Leasing, who operate heritage tour

EMFXZVHWsAUehEl

Retention tanks I'm not sure about, but power doors is a definite no. Whilst the LNER stock isn't PRM-TSI compliant, it's slightly more compliant than the EMR stock, although there isn't any plan to make them fully compliant that I'm aware of
Thanks. I'm more familiar with the ScotRail refurbishments and what a protracted situation that is, so was curious as to what EMR would be using.

heedfan

EMFXZVHWsAUehEl

There are no plans to fit retention tanks to the sets transferring to EMR.

433N

43290 + 43317 with set EC53 currently heading to Craigentinny, presumably in readiness for transfer to EMR.

Shame it couldn't be used to run a few of the services which LNER have decided to cancel today.

I noticed this working on RTT yesterday and was assuming it was something new heading this way. I headed to Newcraighall and saw it pass through (although with a long signal wait at which the driver dismounted and took a photo). I thought that watching the Farewell tour head off would be my last experience of LNER HSTs but, actually, this was ... and it was a new experience since I haven't seen an HST set pass through before although I'm sure they have (I have seen power cars runs into Newcraighall for turning purposes).

If anyone know the headcode it was running under, I'd be much obliged.

I noticed this working on RTT yesterday and was assuming it was something new heading this way.

If anyone know the headcode it was running under, I'd be much obliged.

5S04, 08.06 Ferme Park Reception - Craigentinny T&RSMD

360xup

Forgive my ignorance, its quite hard to work this out. Have they just repainted an entire set to send it to the scrap yard? If yes that is totally insane!

Speed43125

Forgive my ignorance, its quite hard to work this out. Have they just repainted an entire set to send it to the scrap yard? If yes that is totally insane!
As if we on this forum here care, I just saw it and it looks amazing.
Hopefully something will be salvaged. LSL are talking of buying one set, but it's not confirmed which vehicles that would be.
That said, it's not unreasonable to assume at least some of the vehicles in the rake will be scrapped yes.

On Moderation
As if we on this forum here care, I just saw it and it looks amazing.
Hopefully something will be salvaged. LSL are talking of buying one set, but it's not confirmed which vehicles that would be.
That said, it's not unreasonable to assume at least some of the vehicles in the rake will be scrapped yes.
Any sensible organisation wouldn't touch at least two vehicles in that set if they had a choice: the prototype TF and 43206.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lsl surely can have the pick of the litter. Why limit themselves to one nicely painted set when there might be better vehicles elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.