• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER HST Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gaillark

Correct. That is a very good first reason for it to not go to EMR. Second, it has a prototype trailer in the set. Why take one if you don't have to? Third, if it was going, they'd have painted a full 8-car set, not a 7-car.

I think it will be snapped up by a charter operator. Makes perfect marketing sense to have it in original livery.

On Moderation
I hope so. it would be a shame to scrap an already painted set, particularly one with a prototype trailer
Paint paint paint paint paint paint paint.

All people ever look at. There's far more important stuff to look at when choosing vehicles. Anyone who takes a prototype trailer when others are available needs their head testing, frankly.

BR 45111

All people ever look at. There's far more important stuff to look at when choosing vehicles. Anyone who takes a prototype trailer when others are available needs their head testing, frankly.
Given the fact that it will be hardly be overworked doing charters , will the fact that a prototype involved be such an issue ?

Dave91131

The prototype TF I can understand. Why not 43206?

Others in the know may be able to elaborate or correct - but possibly because (if memory serves me correctly) it required a fairly extensive re-build of the nose end / cab area prior to entering service with (I think) GNER.

On Moderation
Others in the know may be able to elaborate or correct - but possibly because (if memory serves me correctly) it required a fairly extensive re-build of the nose end / cab area prior to entering service with (I think) GNER.
Indeed.

Dave91131

Additionally, does anyone know the consist of the set which transferred on Monday?

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K05859/2019-12-16/detailed

I believe Monday's transfer was 43314 + 319 with set EC57.

By a process of elimination, I would suspect today's stock with 43272 + 277 was 7 vehicles from set EC53 with the remaining 2 being left behind at Craigentinny.

According to my notes and again by a process of elimination (corrections welcome) I think all but 3 EMR-bound sets are now at Gascoigne Wood - these being EC51 (finished at Neville Hill with 43238 + 316), EC59 (finished at Neville Hill with 43257 + 318) and EC61 (finished at Heaton with 43307 + 43308).

Whether the power cars which last worked with these sets transfer with them or whether swaps take place remain to be seen.

In terms of power cars (again corrections welcomed) I have the present situation as follows:

Gascoigne Wood, for EMR: 251, 272, 274, 277, 295, 299, 302, 305, 306, 310, 314, 319
Ely, for EMR: 296, 309
Elsewhere, for EMR: 238, 257, 290, 320

Not for EMR (various locations): 206, 208, 239, 300, 311, 312, 313, 315, 367

Unknown (various locations): 307, 308, 316, 317, 318

Knowing 9 sets are transferring to EMR, I'd estimate approximately 22 power cars. Assuming I have all the 'for EMR' power cars correct, if all of the 5 'unknowns' head there too that would be 24.

We await further developments....

SteveP29

Saw the repainted set at Waverley yesterday.
I remained remarkably calm although it was the last time I'd regularly see an HST (apart from looking at the stationary Scotrail ones at Haymarket when I pass on the bus each day to work)

Deepgreen

Established Member

If a set is to be used for mainly enthusiast charters, then livery and vehicles' pedigree do matter a lot. The set would be likely to attract far more attention and custom if presented as a heritage one. The HST has such a place in the non-enthusiast mind-set, that the original livery, etc., will carry some sway there too.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As with all good things or at long last (depending on your point of view) the LNER HSTs have left public service. This thread is therefore closed. We do have a thread regarding the Railtour which is still ongoing. Any other matters (such as the transfer to EMR) are either the subject of an existing thread or suitable for a new one.

All change please all change.

Status
Not open for further replies.