• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER HST Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is there a duty list for the LNER power cars? I have a few trips north coming up over the next month and want to hit LNER HST

43300 will probably be the first power car to be withdrawn and taken to the scrapyard.

if it is nashered it will get stripped for spares. It wont get hauled off to the scrappies until everything of use has come out

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Is there a duty list for the LNER power cars? I have a few trips north coming up over the next month and want to hit LNER HST

if it is nashered it will get stripped for spares. It wont get hauled off to the scrappies until everything of use has come out

Diagrams? There's a thread on that somewhere

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
NL65 for scrap (including power cars 43061+43075) next week.

EC64 the week after.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Straight for scrap? Or is it just going off lease? Also, if I may ask, where is the source for such information (if you're able to publicly disclose this of course)?

Off lease, but I imagine Porterbrook want them scrapped because they haven't been able to find much for the GWR sets plus these sets are the least compliant for 2020 out of the numerous stored Mk3s

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Off lease, but I imagine Porterbrook want them scrapped because they haven't been able to find much for the GWR sets plus these sets are the least compliant for 2020 out of the numerous stored Mk3s

NL65 and power cars are already off lease - was returned to Porterbrook on Weds 13th Nov.

Source is within Porterbrook. Set is withdrawn with defects and life expired. Scrap move is next week (21st November).

Last edited:

On Moderation
NL65 and power cars are already off lease - was returned to Porterbrook on Weds 13th Nov.

Source is within Porterbrook. Set is withdrawn with defects and life expired. Scrap move is next week (21st November).
Only 43075 currently showing as off lease on the system.

nat67

Established Member
Hitachi seem to be doing well this autumn, as another LNER Power Car could now be set for an early retirement. 800109 has managed to collide cab to cab with 43300 this evening in Neville Hill. The power car cab has sustained some damage, 3 coaches of the 800 are off the rails.

(for those not aware, The EC HST Fleet are maintained now by Hitachi as part of the EC contract. While it is unfortunate that this has happened, 2 collisions within 3 weeks isn’t great, 43296 ran around with half its face off last week, and it has been noticeable that the standard of maintenance on the EC fleet has dropped off considerably of late).
That was 43299 not 43296.

can I just ask a quick question are all kings cross- Leeds services azuma now or is it still a mixture of HST and 91s as I will be doing a South pennines day ranger soon and when like one last ride on them before they all get withdrawn thanks

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
can I just ask a quick question are all kings cross- Leeds services azuma now or is it still a mixture of HST and 91s as I will be doing a South pennines day ranger soon and when like one last ride on them before they all get withdrawn thanks
A high majority are Azumas. The LNER journey planner will clearly show the trains that are.

devonexpress

Seems a bit of a mess, given that only last year EMT upgraded First Class using former GWR Mk3's with the posh GWR First class interior.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
NL65 for scrap (including power cars 43061+43075) next week.

EC64 the week after.

EC64 working 1S27 17.30 KGX-EDB tonight. Due for withdrawal tomorrow (Monday) with debranding at Craigentinny.

Set (trailers only) are booked to move to Swansea for scrap next Saturday (23rd).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Great day on the ecml today. One rammed 5 car azumma and lots of 91's followed by 43047 and 43044 doing the honours from york to kings cross

For what might be my last hst from york that was a nice surprise

LNER 43367

EC64 working 1S27 17.30 KGX-EDB tonight. Due for withdrawal tomorrow (Monday) with debranding at Craigentinny.

Set (trailers only) are booked to move to Swansea for scrap next Saturday (23rd).

What power cars is EC64 formed of So I know what it is that is going tomorrow

LNER 43367

Does anyone know when 43367 and/or 43317 will be withdrawn as they are my 2 favourite HSTs. Also 43367 has now been de named. It was hauling 1E95 today.

Last edited:

devonexpress

These are the three ex-Grand Central sets where it was easier to take on a GWR buffet with first class than to refit the GC buffet which had standard class seats.
It still seems silly to have spent all that money refurbishing the interior only to axe it 12 months later.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It still seems silly to have spent all that money refurbishing the interior only to axe it 12 months later.

They didn't do much more than reupholster the seats on the ex-GC sets - even for only 12 months that is a reasonable spend to ensure that passengers don't complain about coaching stock that is less well appointed than the current stock.

On Moderation
Does anyone know when 43367 and/or 43317 will be withdrawn as they are my 2 favourite HSTs. Also 43367 has now been 're named. It was hauling 1E95 today.
I believe all the LNER power cars have been de-named, with the possible exception of "Spirit Level of Sunderland".

Swimbar

Are all 31 LNER Power Cars moving to EMR by the end of 2019? or is there a list of those transferring that I have missed?
(I appreciate that the move of at least one could be affected by recent events!)

Status
Not open for further replies.