• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER HST Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I do like this use of the term "withdrawn". They are not withdrawn yet - that has a specific meaning on the national vehicle register. EC64 has been stopped by LNER in preparation for handback - it isn't off lease yet.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I do like this use of the term "withdrawn". They are not withdrawn yet - that has a specific meaning on the national vehicle register. EC64 has been stopped by LNER in preparation for handback - it isn't off lease yet.

It is withdrawn from passenger service though...

Tweeted by Tim Dunn this afternoon, HST Farewell Tour for Charity 18th - 21st December with coaches and power cars (one of which will be 43302 - World Speed Record) in British Rail Livery.
hst.png

Really hope I will be able to obtain a ticket for the 20th Dec journey! Will be really great to see a full set in BR livery! Good variety of trips too (although potentially slightly surprising that there is not one from London (eg London - Edinburgh).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to note that there is a dedicated thread which can be found here. Let's continue the conversation about this exciting railtour over there :)

NoMorePacers

Established Member

XC90

I seen a brief which stated some Azumas will not be ready in time and will be supplemented with HSTs. Is this news or already well known?

reddragon

Established Member
According to RAIL they are moving to EMR as follows: -

Portabrook EC61,62,63 + 41190,44077 plus all but 1 class 43 power cars. (was 43299 guess now its 43300!)
Withdrawn = EC64, 42117,42306,42163, 40732,40805

The existing EMR fleet is for scrap - 22 class 43 + 9 sets.

theblackwatch

Established Member
According to RAIL they are moving to EMR as follows: -

Portabrook EC61,62,63 + 41190,44077 plus all but 1 class 43 power cars. (was 43299 guess now its 43300!)
Withdrawn = EC64, 42117,42306,42163, 40732,40805

The existing EMR fleet is for scrap - 22 class 43 + 9 sets.

It probably needs clarifying that this is East Midlands Railway, not European Metals Recycling, which has been known as EMR and been cutting up stock for years. (Very clever of a TOC to use the initials of a railway scrap metal dealer!)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In sadder news, according to Richard Clinnick on twitter, the movement of LNER HST sets for scrapping starts tomorrow: NL65 to go to South Wales tomorrow, EC64 next week:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/1197173390861320192

Both Porterbrook sets, doesn't impact on the three Porterbrook sets reputedly earmarked for MML service.
Perhaps Richard Clinnick reads this thread, where it has been discussed since last Friday, when HamworthyGoods posted the same info...

reddragon

Established Member

xotGD

Established Member
It probably needs clarifying that this is East Midlands Railway, not European Metals Recycling, which has been known as EMR and been cutting up stock for years. (Very clever of a TOC to use the initials of a railway scrap metal dealer!)
Drat!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the photos of cutters' torches making short work of some power cars, whichever fleet they come from.

Sorry if this was discussed earlier and I missed it, but does anyone know the fate/ whereabouts of 43272? It's the only LNER powercar I haven't seen.

On Moderation
Sorry if this was discussed earlier and I missed it, but does anyone know the fate/ whereabouts of 43272? It's the only LNER powercar I haven't seen.
In service today on set EC60. Should be one of the power cars moving to EMR.

ChilternTurbo

Apologies if I've missed the answer somewhere but is the scrap move going to Sim's Metals at Newport Docks or elsewhere? I see Swansea mentioned as a location but wasn't aware of a scrapping facility there...

Apologies if I've missed the answer somewhere but is the scrap move going to Sim's Metals at Newport Docks or elsewhere? I see Swansea mentioned as a location but wasn't aware of a scrapping facility there...

I'd also like to know this so I can say my goodbyes. It's such a shame that they're heading straight for scrap. I'm sure plenty of people including myself would love to see them increasing capacity on CrossCountry services.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Now maybe I'm being a bit slow here (happened before...) but I don't understand.

Currently 12 EMR NL HSTs, 3 sets moving from LNER to replace them - how will that work?

The present EMR NL sets have coaches with wheelchair space and disabled toilet but hinged doors and track discharge toilets so presumably being discarded because they don't meet 1. 1. 20 PRM. But the LNER sets are pretty much the same with the exception that some coaches might have CET. So where's the advance?

And what about the DfT sets at EP. These have the same shortcomings as the NL sets, but are staying.

Now I know that not all LNER HSTs are Porterbrook (the EMR sets are Porterbrook, of course) - some are Angel Trains. But there are more Porterbrook LNER sets (I think) that are not shown as moving.

Of course, it may just be that the LNER sets are in better condition than the EMR ones; but the EMR NL ones seem a lot better than the ex GC ones (the latter have disabled toilets routinely locked - air cond. very hot in summer, cold in winter - minor defects)

Status
Not open for further replies.