• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER HST Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stathern Jc

That's the last HST Chieftain out of Inverness on time, 43296 + 43237. Still dark here, just the first glimmers of daylight over the hills as we cross Culloden viaduct. Coach M is well filled. There was a good smell of bacon as I walked up the platform at Inverness.

Last edited:

Stathern Jc

Just passed the Dalwhinnie Distillery. The 'early morning' sunshine casts an orange glow on the snow covered hills, also a dusting beside the track.
Just enjoyed my last HST breakfast and looking out to see if there are any deer about as we head over Druimochter. Is there any better way to spend a morning?

cf111

Established Member
Just passed the Dalwhinnie Distillery. The 'early morning' sunshine casts an orange glow on the snow covered hills, also a dusting beside the track.
Just enjoyed my last HST breakfast and looking out to see if there are any deer about as we head over Druimochter. Is there any better way to spend a morning?
A lovely image. I do enjoy the southbound Cheiftain on a winter's morning.

BRX

Established Member
I'm on the chieftain too, sad this'll be the last time but a nice run over the top with snow on the hills and the sun coming up. Now stuck at Edinburgh with no driver!

Stathern Jc

I'm on the chieftain too, sad this'll be the last time but a nice run over the top with snow on the hills and the sun coming up. Now stuck at Edinburgh with no driver!
Glad to see on RTT you weren't held too long.
Was remembering being on the last Deltic service train out of Kings Cross on 31st Dec 1981 which was for York but terminated at Grantham (where I got off) because of congestion following a broken rail at Barkston. That was sad, but the derision aimed at the HST onto which passengers were transferred was quite unnecessary.
Hope the rest of your journey goes well.

BRX

Established Member
Glad to see on RTT you weren't held too long.
Was remembering being on the last Deltic service train out of Kings Cross on 31st Dec 1981 which was for York but terminated at Grantham (where I got off) because of congestion following a broken rail at Barkston. That was sad, but the derision aimed at the HST onto which passengers were transferred was quite unnecessary.
Hope the rest of your journey goes well.
Thanks! Now on the ECML, only ten mins behind schedule.

43 302

Established Member
Anyone know the rear of 43 296 on the 1Y88 YRK to KGX on 5/12/19.

Stathern Jc

Just passed Morpeth on a good run from Dundee to Newcastle on 1E15 with 43307 leading.
Unfortunately Coach E out of use with no power, and WiFi (according to announcement) issues affecting seat reservation displays. Hope these sort of issues won't just be accepted in the last week.

On Moderation
That's the last HST Chieftain out of Inverness on time, 43296 + 43237. Still dark here, just the first glimmers of daylight over the hills as we cross Culloden viaduct. Coach M is well filled. There was a good smell of bacon as I walked up the platform at Inverness.
Unless they have borrowed 43037 from ScotRail and renumbered it, there’s a number wrong in there!

Established Member
One of the sets withdrawn from front line duties today (off 1E09 or 1E13) runs ECS back from London to Craigentinny tomorrow

Taylor-j01

Is there any more hst to go through Newcastle ?
Would love to go Edinburgh - Newcastle this weekend if
Not I’ll buy the special hst train next week.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

MikeMorton22

Caught sight of late running 1E23 Aberdeen to KingsX near Thirsk on Sunday 8th. Probably the last scheduled 125 service I'll see. Does anybody know what set it was?

class 9

Passed Craigentinny this aft, HST power car with its LNER replaced with EMR outside one of the sheds.

route101

Established Member
Is there any more hst to go through Newcastle ?
Would love to go Edinburgh - Newcastle this weekend if
Not I’ll buy the special hst train next week.

According to the diagrams , the 15th is last day in service

theblackwatch

Established Member
A third set went to Gascoigne Wood yesterday, apparently the power cars were 43305 & 43310. Anyone know the stock consist?

Swimbar

Where is Gascoigne Wood sorry, does this mean that set is moving to EMR?

Gascoigne Wood is near Sherburn in Elmet in North Yorkshire adjacent to the Leeds - Selby line.
It's about 20 mins from Neville Hill and it would appear that LNER sets moving to EMR are being stabled there

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Gascoigne Wood is near Sherburn in Elmet in North Yorkshire adjacent to the Leeds - Selby line.
It's about 20 mins from Neville Hill and it would appear that LNER sets moving to EMR are being stabled there
Built as coal sidings, for a part of the Selby mine complex wasn’t it? The Gascogne Wood site was a drift mine on the western side of the coalfield.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Built as coal sidings, for a part of the Selby mine complex wasn’t it? The Gascogne Wood site was a drift mine on the western side of the coalfield.

I believe that's the case. It was also where all the coal from the wide Selby mine complex was brought for shipment off site to power stations. So a pretty significant piece of infrastructure in it's day. Shadow of its former self now of course sadly.

Thanks very much for that! Glad to hear that EMR sets are being stored there. 43310 is my favourite power car as I've had some great journeys with it including my first HST to Aberdeen and on the Chieftain too. Glad that it appears to have a future!

Status
Not open for further replies.