LNER Livery

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Up_Tilt_390, 9 Jun 2018.

1. Up_Tilt_390

Up_Tilt_390 On Moderation

But what if on the off-chance of a derailment we have passengers trapped in a coach for weeks because the carriage was launched into the woods and was hard to see because of camouflage?

2. pt_mad

pt_mad Established Member

Ok that is slightly sick.

But on a more positive note HS2 could see off environmental campaigners if they adopt the above livery.

So the trains will 'blend in' to the green and brown surrounds of the Chiltern Hills. Paint the fences and gantry's camoflage as well. Nobody will notice it's there

For an extra ten grand they can line the fences with camouflage painted egg boxes to screen the sound of the trains passing.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2018
  3. mde

mde Member

You joke, but, it probably wouldn't look half bad…

4. USRailFan

USRailFan Member

Is that Train Simulator (the original Microsoft one from 2002 or thereabouts)? Almost looked like the Acela Express from there

5. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Yes that would work too. :D

6. fairysdad

fairysdad Member

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
    Every single bloody time... :rolleyes:

7. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

It looked dated over thirty years ago, it'd look appalling on the sleek, slab sided IETs. Not to mention that locomotives don't feature in the future rolling stock strategy for the East Coast (barring a handful of retained 'legacy' sets)...

Similar can be said for teak effect, it's not the 1930s any more...

8. mde

mde Member

I disagree - in the right combination it works fairly well. Too much use of white on some liveries now, which, doesn't work well. Sure it looks great when first applied, but, in this country where it rains roughly half the year it isn't the best choice.

It'd be daft to suggest that a single colour alone is the sole aspect of the livery, you'd be combining it with other aspects such as vinyl - Ray Stenning et al do a fantastic job of this.

9. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

I can fully agree with that, though I disagree that it looks good even when first applied. White/light grey based liveries are just bland right from the get go.

Also I'm not sure that xotGD, while no doubt being slightly tongue in cheek, was suggesting a modern application of the scheme...Though given the current predilection for light grey based liveries, perhaps the reverse blue/grey BR "Pullman" scheme would be more likely to see a resurgence (It already pretty much did on the 350/1s)! ;)

Funnily enough though I would actually favour a blue and grey scheme for the LNER brand, but using something akin to the colour palette of the attached "Silver Jubilee" brochure (originally posted by swt_passenger) in a modern style, rather than the BR corporate image:

Attached Files:

Last edited: 13 Jun 2018
  10. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

Teak-look won't work. Anything 'sausage-shaped' coloured predominantly brown will draw scorn, looking as it will like something a dog left at a lamppost.

11. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

I enjoy the threads where people complain about all of these new-fangled liveries that constantly change... why can't we go back to sticking with one straightforward livery like LNER did with their light blue and dark blue and apple green and maroon and teak and... old railway companies clearly never fiddled with their liveries :lol:

12. DPWH

DPWH Member

Well the LNER did turn out all metal coaches with carefully crafted faux-teak livery, could it be done again?

13. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

Which, unfortunately, was my first thought when seeing some of the green/teak mockups; 'Oh look, a flying stool'.

14. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

I'm sure it could, but why would you, it's 80yrs old....

15. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

They should have black and white stripes ;)

16. Royston Vasey

Royston Vasey Established Member

Rail blue 91s ok but blue and grey HST power cars, not sure I agree with the latter

17. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Paint the power cars blue - it will keep those who consider them to be locomotives happy.

18. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

Surely to satisfy the purists it should be repainted in the original HST livery from 1976; Rail Blue/Grey with the yellow on the top/bottom?

19. JohnElliott

JohnElliott Member

And the coaches crimson lake with cream doors.

20. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

And so (once again) a livery has been posted in the main LNER thread, here, but this time it has been confirmed that this is an internal source, and is to be the "final design"

Far more in line with what I'd expected (if not actually more so), just a shame they've written Azuma along the side of it.

21. Rhydgaled

Rhydgaled Established Member

The VTEC livery is applied using vinyl; or at least it was on the coaches I saw in Aug 2015 (not sure if they've been repainting as they've been refurbishing). Thus, seeing as the 800s and 801s are being delivered in plain grey/white and the IC225s (if, as I hope, LNER retains some as Virgin had planned) will be plain grey once the VTEC vinyls are removed, I think it likely that the LNER livery will be grey-based. My hope is that they will add a dark grey vinyl window band (to match the doors) to make it look less boring and then, when a repaint is due, paint the window band on (and while they are at it change the dark grey of the doors and window band to a dark blue, similar to GNERs original colour). The end result would be similar to the inverse 'Pullman' blue & grey, but different shades of both blue and grey.

22. Up_Tilt_390

Up_Tilt_390 On Moderation

If I'm perfectly honest I kind of erm... don't like that. Yeah, it's okay but it's very uninspiring given that there was much more potential for the livery. I reckon my submission earlier would've been a better option since it not only captures the eyes better, but this livery will stick with the franchise, so there was no worry in needing to rebrand it. That's just my opinion really.

23. deltic08

deltic08 Established Member

I assume south of Hitchin, but where?

24. 59CosG95

Harringay, to be precise. But the location of the shot was neither here nor there when I did the photoshop!

25. joshy.fre_2003

joshy.fre_2003 Member

Indeed it is, my shot so quite proud for it to be on google images haha, thanks to the OP for picking it out!

26. CosherB

CosherB Established Member

Who says the VTEC vinyls are coming off the 91s and HSTs? Pretty daft idea if you ask me.

27. 59CosG95

It'll be more likely that the red "Virgin" bits are vinyled over wand replaced with LNER ones - though all will be revealed eventually! (I know nothing, just making stabs in the dark)

28. MonsooN

MonsooN Member

The Great Exhibition of the north got underway in Newcastle yesterday and this was on display outside the Discovery Museum: (Credit: Mynewsdesk)

[​IMG]

I'm not sure this is the final livery because the doors don't really stand out enough and I doubt the windows will have vinyls on them. Aside from being a bit plain, it's not bad though. It's fairly simple and interestingly, carries the Azuma name with the Z in the same style as the N in LNER.

29. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Anyone else hoping that Beardy et al suddenly become possessive about the name "Azuma" and prevent it being used? ;)

30. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Yeah paint wibble! ;) Looking at the branding I saw on my ecml travels yesterday it will be red and black. Why not save some excitement and wait and see what it looks like ;)

Ps The auto announcements at Edinburgh were using LNER or more to the point London North Eastern Railway.