• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER or Grand Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choooochoooo

Just a quick one hypothetically speaking from those in the know. If it was a choice of working for either LNER or Grand Central as a trainee/qualified driver which company would you go for and why?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TTDARL

This is one of those individual preference / opinion questions. Yes LNER drivers are on a lot of money in comparison to GC and most other TOCS. However, it’s down to an individuals circumstances / preferences to answer this one. Need to know more about rosters, rest day patterns, terms & conditions, annual leave entitlement, routes signed, management, pension, rest day patterns, amount of weekends worked, earliest/latest starts/finishes, quality of work, how wide the movement to be given a job from spare is.... you get the drift etcetc. Often it’s easy to be drawn in by the headline salaries particularly offered by the high speed intercity TOCS but a lot more to it as I’m sure you know.

Hey 3

Also more driving on LNER than GC having a few services a day when LNER have at least 10tph+ out London King's Cross plus a few more twice daily and daily services out of London too

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just a quick one hypothetically speaking from those in the know. If it was a choice of working for either LNER or Grand Central as a trainee/qualified driver which company would you go for and why?

Properly "in the know" I am not, but from a personal perspective I'd go for a franchised TOC over an OAO because the former is likely to offer more job security.

Hey 3

Properly "in the know" I am not, but from a personal perspective I'd go for a franchised TOC over an OAO because the former is likely to offer more job security.
Yes a franished TOC is more safe in terms of job security because they never suspend their services in a global pandemic. Also the latter in your post is most likely to become redundant

tiptoptaff

Established Member
As a qualified driver? LNER without question.

As a trainee? Whichever one will give you your key

Absolutely the right answer on this one.

Out of interest. Would the drivers who committed to Wrexham and Shropshire, all those years ago, have done so under the impression it couldn't fail or under the guarantee that their jobs were "safe" and they would be picked up by arriva or db should/when W&S hit the wall?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Absolutely the right answer on this one.

Out of interest. Would the drivers who committed to Wrexham and Shropshire, all those years ago, have done so under the impression it couldn't fail or under the guarantee that their jobs were "safe" and they would be picked up by arriva or db should/when W&S hit the wall?
Not sure, but one of my DIs is ex-W&S and he didn't struggle to find something after it folded

LNER over Grand Central either as a trainee or a qualified.

Much safer with a superior pension.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
LNER over Grand Central either as a trainee or a qualified.

Much safer with a superior pension.
I disagree. You take whichever will offer you the training.

Get your key. Then move.

I wouldn't assume LNER as a safe bet. Does no one remember the infamous Azuma talent pools?

Trogladyte

Get your key. Then move.

I wouldn't assume LNER as a safe bet. Does no one remember the infamous Azuma talent pools?
Not unless GC make you redundant first. There’s a precedent for this! Not like OA operators are on firm ground right now

I don't know, due to still trying to crack this industry, but do some OAs with franchises in current operation not guarantee trainee's jobs with the promise of work on a franchise should the worst happen? I'm thinking that the trainee's at East Coast may be guaranteed a role at another First Group toc such as TPE or Hull Trains (also OA I know) should it go t××s-up.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Not unless GC make you redundant first. There’s a precedent for this! Not like OA operators are on firm ground right now
GC on the East Coast is as secure an OA operator could be.

The West Coast operation is an outlier rather than a pattern

If you get offered a start date with GC and LNER tell you're in their "pool" you would be a fool to turn GC down. Cutting your nose to spite your face.

Trogladyte

GC on the East Coast is as secure an OA operator could be.

The West Coast operation is an outlier rather than a pattern

If you get offered a start date with GC and LNER tell you're in their "pool" you would be a fool to turn GC down. Cutting your nose to spite your face.
Disagree, I’d rather wait and end up in a much more secure job with LNER, than rush into being a trainee at GC and tempting fate due to the current state of play with OA train operators

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Disagree, I’d rather wait and end up in a much more secure job with LNER, than rush into being a trainee at GC and tempting fate due to the current state of play with OA train operators

There is nothing and I mean nothing wrong with going to GC for your key.

LNER is not safe. Pools are not safe. They screwed a lot of people over in a talent pool not that long ago. You will seriously regret turning down a definite job for maybe if they turn round and dump the pool again.

There is nothing to suggest that OA is going to fail because of Covid. Absolutely nothing.

HT and GC were doing well on the East Coast prior to this and will carry on doing so again when by the end of the summer we're all vaccinated and travelling again

LNER is not safe. Pools are not safe. They screwed a lot of people over in a talent pool not that long ago. You will seriously regret turning down a definite job for maybe if they turn round and dump the pool again.

There is nothing to suggest that OA is going to fail because of Covid. Absolutely nothing.

HT and GC were doing well on the East Coast prior to this and will carry on doing so again when by the end of the summer we're all vaccinated and travelling again
I would still rather apply for LNER, CC or Northern for the pension unless you’re going to go to waste GC’s time and effort by moving once you’re qualified.

Darandio

Established Member

Yes, we know. You got burned a while back due to a perfect storm of circumstances, now you have a serious bee in your bonnet about anything OA.

Dieseldriver

My opinion. I agree that personally I would rather gain a trainee job with LNER.
*However* without being blunt, if you are trying to become a Train Driver, any company that gives you the chance, you should snap up the opportunity. If you get a position with any TOC, as long as you keep your head down and keep your license clean, after a couple of years productive driving, you can apply elsewhere.
Any company that takes you on is worth your time and effort.

skyhigh

Established Member

I agree with this - I was in a pool, having passed all the psychometrics, waiting a start date (with a franchised TOC) and the vacancy was pulled. It worked out for me in the end but having been through that if an opportunity came up I'd go for it, whoever it was with.

Sirgerbil

If your a trainee - go wherever to get your key.

Qualified then yeah I’d go for LNER. Someone mentioned above about joining LNER for T&C’s, which isn’t really accurate though.

Yes we do get paid a lot compared to other Toc’s but in comparison our T&C’s aren’t great compared to some other Tocs.

Established Member
unless you’re going to go to waste GC’s time and effort by moving once you’re qualified.

What's wrong with moving if another company is offering you a better deal elsewhere?

I'm sure the people doing the training would move if they got offered a better deal elsewhere.

Maybe the correct view would be "What can we do as a company to stop drivers leaving?"

Just my thoughts on the matter.

800 Driver

You would be mad not to go with LNER. Far better conditions, pay, pension and travel benefits. Also LNER is backed by the Govt unlike GC. Complete no brainer really.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You would be mad not to go with LNER. Far better conditions, pay, pension and travel benefits. Also LNER is backed by the Govt unlike GC. Complete no brainer really.
As a qualified driver yes.

As a trainee? It's not such an easy decision. You go where the firm offer of a key is. Not a talent pool for a "better" TOC

Stigy

Established Member

Ordinarily I’d agree, but not so sure with an open access operator in the current climate.

Established Member
At the end of the day - GC would be unlikely to recruit if they thought there was any possibility of things not going to plan. I think Blackpool was a one off.

Even if the worst happens - a trainee driver who goes to another TOC will be snapped up - especially if they have already passed some modules such as rules and PTS.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Ordinarily I’d agree, but not so sure with an open access operator in the current climate.
GC Eastern side is as safe as a TOC. They'll be back to thriving again once lockdowns are lifted and we can travel again

Status
Not open for further replies.