• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQTV

LNER's new loyalty scheme has apparently launched, under the name LNER Perks.

Sign up is available now, with a welcome £5 credit bonus and then 2% credit back on LNER tickets bought through the LNER website or app.

Credit can be redeemed against LNER tickets or donated to one of two charities: Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) and FareShare North East.

Alternatively, it can be converted to an eVoucher, permitting it to be gifted to others.

Full terms, conditions and sign-up options are available from the below link:

Existing registered users of the LNER website will be prompted to opt-in to the Perks programme when making their next booking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it's no East Coast Rewards! But it's a heck of a lot more attractive than Nectar ever was.

FQTV

What a great idea and a £5 joining bonus , why wouldn’t you join?

Well, I suppose that one thing that might put folks off is receiving an email every time a seat reservation is amended, even prior to getting as far as actually buying a ticket.

Still, it is our LNER, and therefore the most basic bits of user-testing appear to be, as usual, a complete mystery to them.

Reminds me of the old observation made of that great and successful operation, British Leyland: Why pay for quality control when you can let the customers do it for free?

Fuzzytop

Fab to see the back of Nectar! Joining credit aside, it isn't really that generous: on 2% you need to spend £250 on tickets to earn the next lot of £5. Still in the current climate it's nice to get at least something :)

It's a bit frustrating that unless you've built up substantial credit, you can only use it in the app rather than on the website. An innovative way to try and push the app, but regardless of how good it is (and it's actually quite decent these days), I'll always prefer using a computer to book long-distance travel.

superalbs

Established Member
Fab to see the back of Nectar! Joining credit aside, it isn't really that generous: on 2% you need to spend £250 on tickets to earn the next lot of £5. Still in the current climate it's nice to get at least something :)

It's a bit frustrating that unless you've built up substantial credit, you can only use it in the app rather than on the website. An innovative way to try and push the app, but regardless of how good it is (and it's actually quite decent these days), I'll always prefer using a computer to book long-distance travel.
I'm sure it will all add up if you are a local.

Agree with the mobile thing, never book something on mobile unless I am already out (where a booking office will be sought).

RJ

Established Member
Fab to see the back of Nectar! Joining credit aside, it isn't really that generous: on 2% you need to spend £250 on tickets to earn the next lot of £5.

Trust me, I know people who will put in a lot of effort to earn rewards worth a lot less than 2%!

If the business wins out then it's a good scheme.

Stormaggeddon

Seems a bit “meh” to me. The percentage seems the same as Nectar Points (2 points for £1). Whilst at least I can collect those at multiple outlets and with offers I regularly collect 5,000 - 10,000 of them a month to convert those into Ebay vouchers or spend them in Sainsbury’s, this is tied to a single operator and can only be redeemed with LNER.

At first glance it appears (at least for me) far less useful than the scheme it replaces and sadly not worth bothering with.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Seems a bit “meh” to me. The percentage seems the same as Nectar Points (2 points for £1). Whilst at least I can collect those at multiple outlets and with offers I regularly collect 5,000 - 10,000 of them a month to convert those into Ebay vouchers or spend them in Sainsbury’s, this is tied to a single operator and can only be redeemed with LNER.

At first glance it appears (at least for me) far less useful than the scheme it replaces and sadly not worth bothering with.
Or you can always donate your points to a good cause or a friend.

Last edited:

boyaloud

2 nectar points is worth 1p So the ratenof return was 1%.

westv

Established Member
Presumably the friend you offer the evoucher to can also be yourself.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Presumably the friend you offer the evoucher to can also be yourself.
There are three options: use the points yourself; donate them to a charity; give them to a friend.

westv

Established Member
There are three options: use the points yourself; donate them to a charity; give them to a friend.
The info on the LNER website says you can use the points to buy tickets via the app for yourself or use the points to buy evouchers for a friend hence my question as to whether you can buy a voucher for yourself.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The info on the LNER website says you can use the points to buy tickets via the app for yourself or use the points to buy evouchers for a friend hence my question as to whether you can buy a voucher for yourself.
I believe you get an eVoucher , what you do with it is up to you.

AY1975

Established Member
It would appear that although you can join LNER Perks by logging on to your account on the LNER website and clicking on "Join Perks", you have to download the LNER app to use your £5 joining credit and to earn credit on your ticket purchases. That obviously means you have to have a smartphone, meaning that if you use the internet but don't have a smartphone you can still join but you can't make use of any of the benefits.

westv

Established Member
It would appear that although you can join LNER Perks by logging on to your account on the LNER website and clicking on "Join Perks", you have to download the LNER app to use your £5 joining credit and to earn credit on your ticket purchases. That obviously means you have to have a smartphone, meaning that if you use the internet but don't have a smartphone you can still join but you can't make use of any of the benefits.
That's not how I understood the rules when I looked when they first came out. I'm sure they said you got points for any purchase of LNER tickets from the website and these points could be used to buy evouchers.

westv

Established Member
Redemption has always been via the app.
Oh yes I see now. You can use points to buy evouchers via the website but the evouchers can only be spent via the app.
So basically this promotion is useless for a lot of people. I recently changed my phone but the app is incompatible with my old Samsung smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.