LNER Qualified Driver Kings Cross

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by DoubleO, 10 Dec 2019.

1. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

You can't willy wave unless you do 300kph on a regular basis :D

2. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Can you explain this a little further please. Why aren't 'Metro' Drivers or why wouldn't 'Metro' Drivers be fully trained in rules ? I am taking 'Metro' to be TOCs like Southeastern/Arrive London/GTR/Southern etc.

3. 43066

43066 Member

He means “metro” in the sense the LNER advert means it* - ie tram/tube/depot drivers etc. - as opposed to qualified mainline drivers.

Drivers who drive for SE/GTR “metro” depots are clearly NR rules trained mainline drivers.

*Unfortunate choice of words on LNER’s behalf given that many suburban operators refer to “‘metro” and “mainline” operations, all of which are worked by fully qualified drivers.

4. baz962

baz962 Established Member

It's why I asked the question originally. The advert say's no metro , however it doesn't state wether metro is tube/tram etc or includes metro style heavy rail .

5. 43066

43066 Member

They lump metro in with depot driving, elsewhere in the add they also refer to “qualified train driver”, I’m convinced they’re just trying to emphasise they want qualifieds so they don’t get a load of tram drivers etc. applying.

As someone else said if they’d specifically wanted high speed experience they could easily have specified it (IIRC Eurostar used to specify this but even they will take suburban drivers these days)

I’d put in for it mate if you’re close to 3 years at ARL - what have you got to lose?!

6. notadriver

notadriver Established Member

Tyne and Wear metro have been taken on by tpe and grand central as qualified drivers.

7. DoubleO

DoubleO Member

That's not entirely true, while GC did take some drivers from Nexus (Tyne and Wear) they had to undertake additional training and nearly a full rules course. So although they recruited them, they didn't recruit them as qualified drivers.

8. saracen

saracen Member

Perhaps they did, but T&W is a light rail/metro system.

9. TCA

TCA Member

Do Tyne and Wear metro Drivers have a European Train Driver's Licence issued by the ORR?

10. saracen

saracen Member

I thought this might be the case. DB Cargo recruited a number of former On Track Plant staff and all required full rules, traction and hours as trainee drivers

11. DoubleO

DoubleO Member

Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure they won't have

12. iphone76

iphone76 Member

I'm quite interested in this position. Would anyone be able to provide first/last shift times etc? I have had a look around to see what LNER are like to work for, but any extra information would be gratefully received. Thank you.

13. Sirgerbil

Sirgerbil Member

Link 2 is the main link - earliest book on about 0525, few jobs that book off around midnight. Lots of weekend work sundays are in.

There’s also regular nights of 4-5 shifts, usually ECS moves to and from Bounds Green and depot work.

Two types of traction - however I’ve heard all new starters/ex tocs will only sign 800s. There is 67 and pilot work in another link but a waiting list to sign relevant traction.

Core route is London-Newcastle/Leeds/Lincoln. Looking at about 3hr 20m in the chair for a Newcastle stopper.

14. iphone76

iphone76 Member

Thank you very much for the information, much appreciated.

15. evoice

evoice Member

Sorry to interrupt. Making me think too now. This is some great information. Just to add some more question to that if you don’t mind. Do they have any Taxi/Lodge arrangements for very early starts or very late finishes.
    Would greatly appreciate your reply. Thank you

16. Joliver

Joliver Member

I can confirm we are fully qualified drivers and drive on the main lines on NR infrastructure. (Mtr)

17. S3

S3 Member

Any guys applied for this role?

18. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

Thought about ,but didn't.

Sounds good except two things out me off a bit,

First, Sundays are inside which is ok but means that not a 4 day week I believe (4.3 on aslef site) whereas I'm currently a fully 4 day week.
    The nights of depot work aren't appealing. Suppose it's not a big enough depot at bounds green to have their own depot drivers.

I imagine a few did apply.

19. iphone76

iphone76 Member

No. I didn't proceed with my application.

In the next 2 years my limited AWS/TPWS route will be expanded to a much much wider network involving cross London tunnel work with CBTC / ECTS, etc. So I thought I'd stay to get that experience which will look better for a future employer. Plus I really enjoy the company I currently work for and getting to Kings x will be a pain for the next few years as my line currently doesn't offer a weekend service to London due to engineering works.

20. Economist

Economist Member

What's the current situation with the IETs and dispatch? I've heard rumours that LNER want to bring some form of DCO in, after all GWR have DCO on their IET stock.

21. S3

S3 Member

Evening all..just wondering whether anyones heard a anything at all regarding this vacancy out of those who applied?

22. Station 2

Station 2 Member

I’ve not herd anything either.

23. SlimJim1694

SlimJim1694 Member

I've heard nothing myself.

24. S3

S3 Member

The wait Continues I guess! Always a slow process.

25. Privateluke

Privateluke New Member

Hi everyone, still not answer from LNER, wondering if anyone has heard anything about the application too ...
    Thanks

26. Station 2

Station 2 Member

It’s been a while hasn’t it! Strange, wonder what’s going on.