• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER reservations social distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisurefirst

Hi there,
Made a booking some weeks back for a future journey on LNER.
It is in First Class and for two people.
Used the app and somehow managed to book without double checking the seats.
The app booked us in at a table for four and so I checked with LNER customer services that if I stuck with this (and not swop to the one pair of two in a couple of the First carriages) that we would not have to share the table.
I was assured that the whole table would be booked out for us.
The train is now fully booked.
Out of interest checked availability for another week for the same journey for two and it allows me to choose single aisle seats at tables of four.
Therefore I am concerned that you can book at the same table as somebody else after all?
Can anybody send some light please?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
It shouldn’t be an issue for two people travelling together as it’ll only reserve two seats at each table for four, the other two seats at the table should be empty. The only time it would sit you with a stranger at a table for four is if only one passenger was travelling.

Leisurefirst

It shouldn’t be an issue for two people travelling together as it’ll only reserve two seats at each table for four, the other two seats at the table should be empty. The only time it would sit you with a stranger at a table for four is if only one passenger was travelling.
Ah, great, thank you!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sorry to butt in. Will they allow a family of four to sit together at the same table?
Under current circumstances it depends on the attitude of the guard. Many will make announcements to the effect of only using window seats, however only a limited percentage will actually move people who are travelling in groups.

I'd like to hope that all such nonsense stops when the government stops "enforcing" social distancing in certain settings on Monday, but it's probably more likely to come with step 4, if not later.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Under current circumstances it depends on the attitude of the guard. Many will make announcements to the effect of only using window seats, however only a limited percentage will actually move people who are travelling in groups.

I'd like to hope that all such nonsense stops when the government stops "enforcing" social distancing in certain settings on Monday, but it's probably more likely to come with step 4, if not later.

It's interesting how some TOCs are being really strict (LNER) and some TOCs don't give a stuff at all (typically DOO TOCs like Chiltern, Thameslink etc).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Must admit I like the EMR approach. Let us be adults and decide for ourselves. People tend to spread themselves out well.

adamskiodp

Thankyou

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Must admit I like the EMR approach. Let us be adults and decide for ourselves. People tend to spread themselves out well.

It is, to be fair, the default not to sit next to people unless there are no double seats spare. There is no need for special rules to ensure people do that, as they do it anyway.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is, to be fair, the default not to sit next to people unless there are no double seats spare. There is no need for special rules to ensure people do that, as they do it anyway.
Exactly. I have found the LNER policy actually can have the opposite effect. On a recent Peterborough- Lincoln journey it appeared everyone was booked in coach d. Socially distanced of course. But move to another coach you would have had it to yourself.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Exactly. I have found the LNER policy actually can have the opposite effect. On a recent Peterborough- Lincoln journey it appeared everyone was booked in coach d. Socially distanced of course. But move to another coach you would have had it to yourself.

Indeed. And not only that, but if people think the other people might have the lurgy, they are even less likely to sit near* them.

I get a potential need for "counted places" to manage how many are on board, but actual seat reservations are probably unnecessary and could well be negative in their effect by having people close together unnecessarily.

* My last train journey before the lockdown last March was a LNR 350 all the way from Liverpool to Bletchley in one go. For about two thirds of it, someone sat opposite me on the table with a streaming cold. Guess what, I caught it...unfortunately he joined me, but if I'd seen him sat there and boarded after him and seen him snotting all over his box of tissues I'm very sure I'd not have sat there! :)

Metroman62

My wife booked two tickets for us and got allocated a seat each on 2 different tables of 4. The tickets were booked using a disabled rail card so they normally sit us close together, but not this time. It's not an issue for us, perhaps they were just filling up spare seats in the coach.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I booked 3 on my last trip. I got them split over 2 tables. The extra seat that could be booked on that table was taken by someone else who joined the train before us. That coach was “COVID full”. We move to the next empty one and sat together. Didn’t see an LNER member of staff at all so the reservations were pointless. This was in late April. The return journey we just go on the train and sat at a set of empty seats in coach C. Again no staff in sight.

I have only had my ticket checked once in last 12 months, bike reservations only challenged by platform staff.

As others say counting is useful but as London - York (stoppers) and London - Lincoln are local services it needs to go ASAP from these trains. (But an equally valid argument could be made for Wakefield - Leeds, as this is really a turn up am go)

edit
Today they are checking tickets. Passenger sat near me without a reservation because of a missed connection was told to go to coach c. So they are sensible about it (or are on this train). I wasn’t asked for my reservation.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
The EMR approach is probably based on the fact that they don’t appear to be capable of doing same-day seat reservations.

greyman42

Established Member
That has been common on LNER for months.

greyman42

Established Member
My train right now has 2 people in my coach. Same position opposite side of the isle. I suspect we would be better spread out without the compulsory reservations.
Feel free to spread out. I have never known a guard to be bothered.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Feel free to spread out. I have never known a guard to be bothered.
They guard made a big deal on the PA about masks and sitting in your reserved seat - or you will be moved. I have so we will see if she moves me back (like she said she would pre-departure). Or if she bothers checking tickets at all.

greyman42

Established Member
They guard made a big deal on the PA about masks and sitting in your reserved seat - or you will be moved. I have so we will see if she moves me back (like she said she would pre-departure). Or if she bothers checking tickets at all.
Even when they check tickets, i have never been asked for my seat reservation. Half the time i don't even have a seat reservation.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

On all the LNER journeys I've been on, a guard has never been round to check. I suspect the only way you may ever get challenged is if you sit in somebody else's seat and they come to claim it.

TUC

Established Member

It would be nonsencial to cause a family who are manifestly one bubble to split up.

robbeech

Established Member
The EMR approach is probably based on the fact that they don’t appear to be capable of doing same-day seat reservations.
I’ve always found them “anti reservation” fir lots of things though so maybe it’s just their way of carrying on as they do. No reservations on season tickets, 1800 the day before for reservations on anything else for the longest time (I think that’s largely fixed now though)

Status
Not open for further replies.