• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER service still announced as Virgin Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveP29

I was going to put this in the long VTEC thread, but it's been locked since this happened.

I Was at Newcastle last night, travelling back to Edinburgh.
Waiting for my train, the following announcement came over the tannoy:
'The next train to arrive at platform 3 will be the 20:33 Virgin Trains service to Kings Cross'
Posters, TV screens, departure boards, coach indication points and staff ID all saying LNER.

Probably just a slip since they'd be so used to saying Virgin Trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
It was not a slip the recording has not been changed from the sounds of it. They will have to get Anne into the studio to record a new one.

Bucephalus

I believe some of them are still in the vt livery, maybe it was meant to be helpful to passengers, describing what they would see

SteveP29

It was not a slip the recording has not been changed from the sounds of it. They will have to get Anne into the studio to record a new one.

It wasn't an automated message

I believe some of them are still in the vt livery, maybe it was meant to be helpful to passengers, describing what they would see

Yeah, all of the trains I saw whilst waiting (3 no) still had the Virgin logo on them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was going to put this in the long VTEC thread, but it's been locked since this happened.

'The next train to arrive at platform 3 will be the 20:33 Virgin Trains service to Kings Cross'
Posters, TV screens, departure boards, coach indication points and staff ID all saying LNER.

the change of franchise always develops such excitement here and the slip of the tongue by a guard is always remarked on. It is hardly worth the bother. People are not robots and make mistakes especially after a change to ingrained behaviour.

BTW - The auto announcements at Waverley were using London North Eastern Railway on Friday. Some branding was also in place.

Last edited:

On Moderation

If you’re going to get all pedantic about, then are you sure it was a tannoy? To quote Alan Partridge: “It's like people who say Tannoy when they mean ‘public address system’. Tannoy is a brand name.”

If it was a human, rather than digital Doris, announcement it’s not surprising - force of habit over the last 3 years or so.

SteveP29

If you’re going to get all pedantic about, then are you sure it was a tannoy? To quote Alan Partridge: “It's like people who say Tannoy when they mean ‘public address system’. Tannoy is a brand name.”

If it was a human, rather than digital Doris, announcement it’s not surprising - force of habit over the last 3 years or so.

Which is what I said in the last line of my post, but lets not read it eh, lets get uppity about my use of a brand name over the correct term for the thing instead.
Do you say to your missus that you're putting the vacuum cleaner around, or do you say hoover?

xotGD

Established Member
I don't know. The railways were nationalised way back in 1948. And yet here we are in 2018, and we are still getting station announcers saying LNER instead of British Railways...

High Dyke

Established Member
Which is what I said in the last line of my post, but lets not read it eh, lets get uppity about my use of a brand name over the correct term for the thing instead.
Do you say to your missus that you're putting the vacuum cleaner around, or do you say hoover?
In our house the term 'suck monster' is used. Or "we need to get Henry out." Again we are referring to the appliance by its brand name.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

chill out. It was obviously a slip of the tongue by someone on his or her first turn after a name change. It isnt a big thing.

In our house the term 'suck monster' is used. Or "we need to get Henry out." Again we are referring to the appliance by its brand name.

Someone comes into my house and does manual work. They may have names.......

BluePenguin

On Moderation
chill out. It was obviously a slip of the tongue by someone on his or her first turn after a name change. It isnt a big thing.

I doubt anyone got off when they heard Virgin seeing as the train wws going to Kings Cross anyway.

Someone comes into my house and does manual work. They may have names.......
No they do not have names, they are the British Gas Engineer, the computer or boiler man or the gardener ;)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
You assume them to be a man. He might not have a missues or even have a vacuum cleaner at all lol.

Craigster90

When i was at York yesterday, services were announced as LNER, today they were announced as London North Eastern Railway but there were some pauses and giggles from the annoucer, seemingly going to say Virgin Trains, stopping, thinking about it and then saying it correctly

AY1975

Established Member
When i was at York yesterday, services were announced as LNER, today they were announced as London North Eastern Railway but there were some pauses and giggles from the annoucer, seemingly going to say Virgin Trains, stopping, thinking about it and then saying it correctly

Do you know whether it was an automated or manual announcement?

londonmidland

Established Member

She was announcing services as LNER on the 23rd (last day of VTEC) at Kings Cross and Leeds, as well as it being advertised as LNER on the CIS. So all computers and automated announcements were updated early.

It’s just manual announcements which will get it wrong from time to time, as we’re so used to saying something we’ve been saying for years.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
When I was waiting at Birmingham International a couple of months ago, a manual announcer kept using ‘London Midland’ instead of LNWR or West Midlands Railway.

What’s also amusing, I also heard when Ruth and Eryl had just recorded ‘Great Western Railway’ there was a service that was delayed and the announcement said “Your attention please. We’re sorry that the xx.xx service to Cardiff Central is delayed by approximately 26 minutes. This is due to a train fault. First Great Western apologises for the inconvenience this may cause you”. This was just after announcing a ‘Great Western Railway service to Swansea’ :D

Quite clever really :lol: maybe all TOCs that have 2 names. One for when all things are going well, one for when things go wrong :lol: (the delay announcement had been updated next time I was in the area)

SaveECRewards

Newcastle were still saying Virgin on Sunday and on the train the guard was mixing the two, some announcements said Virgin, the others said LNER (first day, easy to do).

I think all announcements would be better off sticking with LNER rather than 'London North Eastern Railway' I don't think GNER was announced as 'Great North Eastern Railway' very often.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The TM on the 15:56 DON-KGX I'm travelling on has just announced it as a *GNER* service!
Immediately corrected himself, though.

I know I'm on it! Pleased to find from the TM that we aren't sufficiently late to get held at Pboro to allow the fast behind past- it was also 10+ late.

GW43125

Established Member
They’re human. They’ll get used to it eventually. For example, I was on a “South Western Trains” service yesterday!

Harbornite

Established Member
An incorrect announcement is made. In othet news, people have been converting oxygen to carbon dioxide.

Status
Not open for further replies.