• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Silver Jubilee brochure - from Monday 4th May 1936

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
And a very interesting booklet it is too. I have a book with some scans of the Coronation and Silver Jubilee booklets but not the entire contents so it's very interesting to see the whole thing.
Certainly a neat little product, 4.5" x 6" so pocket sized, and all that 'silver' printing of the borders and edges throughout gives it a quality look.

As others have mentioned the level of technical info provided is impressive - and I expect they must have thought that much of the target audience could understand the detail? No dumbing down to the lowest common denominator...

I'd actually been thinking about posting it for a year or more, but the news yesterday kicked me into action...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Certainly a neat little product, 4.5" x 6" so pocket sized, and all that 'silver' printing of the borders and edges through out gives it a quality look.

As others have mentioned the level of technical info provided is impressive - and I expect they must have thought that much of the target audience could understand the detail? No dumbing down to the lowest common denominator...

I'd actually been thinking about posting it for a year or more, but the news yesterday kicked me into action...

Thank you very much for doing so, I love reading through menus as much as the technical info.

The average speeds on the steamliners always impressed me as well, 6 hours to Edinburgh, 3 hrs 57-4 hours to Newcastle. Timings which because of the war weren't managed again until Dieselisation, it just shows what steam could do really.

Willr2094

I think it may prove both helpful and of interest to clarify the formations of the LNER streamlines here.

The first streamliner was the Silver Jubilee, introduced from September 1935 on a four hour schedule from King's Cross to Newcastle with one stop at Darlington. The outward left Newcastle at 10.00 am and returned at 5.30pm. One set of stock was used for outward and return.

The original formation was 7-coaches consisting of two articulated twins flanking a Restaurant Triplet Set:

BFK-SFO
FO-RK-TO
TK-BTK

The first class twin included a semi-open first next to the first class dining car, vehicles of this type were well used on the West Riding to augment restaurant seating and First class accommodation as necessary. On the Silver Jubilee however this was not this case.

The train suffered from overbooking despite the supplementary fare and so two measures were taken to improve matters. Within the first six months the balance of reserveable and dining seats was altered with 32 reserveable seats added by making half the dining car bookable seating in addition to altering some of open seating from 1+1 to 2+1.

This aided matters but the issue of capacity remained and so in 1938 a further 35 Third Class seats were added by building a 45ft 11in Corridor Third to fit inside the trailing Third class twin making it into a Triplet of TK-TK-BTK. The set remained as 8 vehicles from then.

The 'Coronation' was introduced in 1937, linking the Capitals of England and Scotland in 6 hours (the Flying Scotsman took 7 hours 20 at this time but often loaded 12-16 coaches). As a result of the longer journey time and both services leaving within 30 mins of each other, opposing formations were required and it was decided to build three 8-coach sets, two with Coronation in raised lettering on the side and one plain for use as a spare.

Two beaver-tail Observation Cars were built for use in summer months with seating for 16, though over half the vehicles were actually van space. The 3 sets were formed as 4 articulated pairs and unlike the Silver Jubilee were all open saloon with all seats reserveable and meals at all seats in both classes:

BTO-TO
RT-TO
FO-FO
RT-BTO

A desire to maximise seating saw a pantry removed from each RT giving 3 extra Third Class seats, however this proved to the detriment of the catering service as there was insufficient room for staff to provide the required service and so within 6 months the RTs were rebuilt with 2 pantries a 3 fewer seats.

The West Riding Limited between King's Cross, Leeds and Bradford later in September 1937 using one identical set to the Coronation but with West Riding Limited lettering and no Observation Car.

The unbranded spare set was then used to replace either of the Coronation sets or the West Riding set as necessary.

Unlike The Silver Jubilee, the Coronation also made a stop at York before continuing on to Newcastle and Edinburgh. Additionally, the reason why the Coronation did not convey an Observation Car in the spring and winter months was because of the fact that it ran late afternoon/early evening, which in winter months saw the train operating mostly in darkness.

The West Riding Limited didn't convey the Beavertail Observation Cars at all because the train was only A4 hauled as far as Leeds - there was a locomotive change to a pair of N2 tanks for the final leg on to Bradford.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Unlike The Silver Jubilee, the Coronation also made a stop at York before continuing on to Newcastle and Edinburgh. Additionally, the reason why the Coronation did not convey an Observation Car in the spring and winter months was because of the fact that it ran late afternoon/early evening, which in winter months saw the train operating mostly in darkness.

The West Riding Limited didn't convey the Beavertail Observation Cars at all because the train was only A4 hauled as far as Leeds - there was a locomotive change to a pair of N2 tanks for the final leg on to Bradford.

From the Coronation brochure I have a facsimile of, York was only served northbound, with Newcastle southbound instead.

Forgot about the traction change with the West Riding, those tanks must have looked at bit incongruous with a prestigious Streamliner in tow! :lol:

Taunton

Established Member
Forgot about the traction change with the West Riding, those tanks must have looked at bit incongruous with a prestigious Streamliner in tow! :lol:
The GWR 1930s "Cheltenham Flyer", quoted as fastest train in The Empire (based on start-to-stop scheduled average speed) did this between Swindon and Paddington, The initial bit, from Cheltenham to Gloucester (reverse) was hauled by a 45xx tank. The Castle came on at Gloucester.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The GWR 1930s "Cheltenham Flyer", quoted as fastest train in The Empire (based on start-to-stop scheduled average speed) did this between Swindon and Paddington, The initial bit, from Cheltenham to Gloucester (reverse) was hauled by a 45xx tank. The Castle came on at Gloucester.

Not too fast to Gloucester then? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.