• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER ticket type SSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
I'm looking on lner.co.uk at single fares for Kings Cross to Edinburgh with LNER.

The Super Off Peak Single, code SSU, is being offered to me, marked as 'discounted', which is correct. I'm aware of this long standing discount - 50% cheaper than the Super Off Peak Return (SSR), rather than the £1 cheaper Super Off Peak Single (SSS).

However, I'm not being offered my Disabled Persons Railcard discount on the SSU. I've read on another thread that LNER, and VTEC before them, couldn't code their booking engine to correctly offer this fare with a Railcard discount. I've also read that trainsplit or thetrainline can correctly apply Railcard discounts to the SSU flavour of Super Off Peak Single. But I can't get them to offer it either.

Is their any way to actually buy this fare at the correct Railcard discounted price, which I believe should be £48.65, online? If not, will ticket office systems correctly apply the Railcard to the SSU?

The LNER booking engine even has the cheek to suggest that the Railcard discount has been applied, in the summary box, before you click to purchase. IMG_20190114_052702.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
The LNER site can only offer the one discount at a time. I believe some third party online retailers will offer both discounts for the SSU ticket ( which isn't actually what LNER are offering).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LNER's supplier has been aware of this since the website launched but is unable to fix it.

If you want this ticket with discount you need to use a website that uses a different supplier who has enabled this fare.

LNER had stopped other retailers selling these tickets; this was anticompetitive and they were not allowed to do so.

LNER were forced to relent once the media got hold of the story; see https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...lners-half-price-singles.169541/#post-3631724

Sites such as Trainline and Trainsplit now sell these fares.

bnm

Established Member
If you want this ticket with discount you need to use a website that uses a different supplier who has enabled this fare

Please do tell me how I can get triansplit or thetrainline to apply the Railcard discount. I've tried, as I made clear in my OP, and neither is seemingly giving me the correct price.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Please do tell me how I can get triansplit or thetrainline to apply the Railcard discount. I've tried, as I made clear in my OP, and neither is seemingly giving me the correct price.
They (correctly) sell the ticket as part of a return journey - see this screenshot*. LNER's website incorrectly sells the ticket even on a one-way journey.

This system means that, for Railcard holders on LNER priced journeys, and for all passengers on Virgin Trains priced journeys, it is often cheaper to buy a return journey - with the return leg far in advance on a date that has cheap Advances available, than to buy a single journey, which will typically be charged at around £1 less than the equivalent return.

*Image shows a Kings Cross to York journey with a Super Off-Peak Single (Online) with a Railcard discount on the outbound leg, and a Railcard discounted Advance on the return leg.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You aren't supposed to buy this ticket for a single journey. The only reason you can is due to an issue in that the "new" East Coast booking engine isn't compatible with setting it up for how it is intended to be issued, in conjunction with an Advance for the other direction. Accordingly, they have programmed the website to apply a 50% discount to the Super Off-peak single (not Super Off-peak return as the SSU is priced at) and offer it to anyone planning a journey with an itinerary on LNER trains. Accordingly if you you buy it from the LNER website you can have it for a 50% discount of the full single fare, which is better than the price your Railcard gives you.

If you are planning a return journey then you do lose out because the single is not Railcard discounted, so you would be better off buying from a site like Trainsplit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.