• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER/TP Ticket Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

4COR

(First time poster; hi!)

FWIW, The GWR app had a similar issue last year to this last August, so clearly not limited to LNER's implementation of timezone handling. When in France, I booked an advance ticket for a journey from Bristol to Tiverton as part of a split, and landed up with a train ticket an hour out - I fortunately noticed before the day of travel!

The helpdesk refunded (with a 2x travel voucher as a goodwill gesture) as this was a known issue on their app, and was rebooked correctly.

[I'm also a software tester by trade, and replicated this beforehand by sticking the phone into I think the Indian timezone (+5:30), and was promptly offered a ticket on a fictional 3:something AM service...]

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
They really seem to have missed the point - that it was their staff who acted in breach of contract by purporting you needed to pay an additional amount to travel in line with the ticket you'd already bought. Of course, whether you want to pursue it even though you've received a resolution from LNER is up to you, but I definitely think it's worth it - if nothing else to ensure that staff are given briefings on that this issue may occur. I daresay you can't be the only person who's encountered this problem.

Listening/engaging with the provided information doesn't seem to be their strong point.

I have sent them another email.

(Ffirst time poster; hi!)

FWIW, The GWR app had a similar issue last year to this last August, so clearly not limited to LNER's implementation of timezone handling. When in France, I booked an advance ticket for a journey from Bristol to Tiverton as part of a split, and landed up with a train ticket an hour out - I fortunately noticed before the day of travel!

The helpdesk refunded (with a 2x travel voucher as a goodwill gesture) as this was a known issue on their app, and was rebooked correctly.

[I'm also a software tester by trade, and replicated this beforehand by sticking the phone into I think the Indian timezone (+5:30), and was promptly offered a ticket on a fictional 3:something AM service...]

Thanks for the information, I'm glad it's not just me that has had this issue!

I will certainly be extremely cautious about purchasing UK tickets from abroad in the future. I've had no issues purchasing Trenitalia/SNCF/SJ tickets from the UK though. How come E-tickets aren't affect the same?

Haywain

Veteran Member
How come E-tickets aren't affect the same?
Because an e-ticket is, effectively, a piece of paper and doesn't rely on the technology of the phone other than to view the 'document'.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TP have replied:

Can't really argue with that.
Yes, you can.

They are basically saying they refuse to accept tickets and are right to blame and charge their passengers who have bought tickets in good faith.

It's a breach of consumer and contract laws as well as a breach of the correct protocol that train companies are required to adhere to.

TPE have done this before, and they will do it again.

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you for contacting TransPennine Express in regards to your journey on 19 June 2019, I was sorry to learn that you were unhappy with the response you received from this office.

I have reinvestigated your case and on this occasion, due to the issues faced, I would like to offer you a refund of the additional costs you incurred. So that I am able to issue you a cheque to the value of £18.55, I would be most grateful if you would provide me with your full address and postcode.

Hallelujah. Persistence pays off. I will donate this money to a railway charity.

Thanks to everyone who has assisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.