• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwasyoungonce

Well done to all those with interviews lined up and good luck! Has anyone else like me completed all 3 online tests but not received any communication at all whether it be rejection or invitation to interview?
I've not been offered an interview, I didn't get an email either way after the last test (VR)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railway123321

Does a DMI last such a short amount of time.

I read on my invite email that they use a seperate company for these, if thats the case, could this interview just be to weed numbers down?
I highly doubt it's the DMI. The DMI usually lasts at least 45 minutes and is typically one of the last stages (if not the very last stage) of the recruitment process :)

dan4291

Well done to all those with interviews lined up and good luck! Has anyone else like me completed all 3 online tests but not received any communication at all whether it be rejection or invitation to interview?

I've not heard anything either. Will wait and see.

PaulN

did everyone on here do 3+ tests cos I only did 2 as was offered an interview (but no dates given.) they wrote last night and I booked a tp interview through online portal for Monday?

Comfy

I highly doubt it's the DMI. The DMI usually lasts at least 45 minutes and is typically one of the last stages (if not the very last stage) of the recruitment process :)
I went for a job recently and was the DMI the stage right after the paper sift. There may well be more interviews after this but this is an interview for lner to find out more about us and also has competency based questions.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I have somehow managed to get a telephone interview, only got to 20 on the checking test. It was my first time doing anything of the sort, I didn't think that would be good enough after seeing the scores on here. Contrary to the general consensus, I thought the VR seemed fairly straight forward though.
My guess is that it's done to accuracy. A relatively low score but with almost 100% accuracy is more desirable than someone who motors though but makes frequent mistakes. I got ~27 and I'm up for interview.

On interviews: what should I expect? My experience for a job interview is next to nothing. Any advice would be very welcome.

TBDDesiro

I’ve got the email for an interview as well, am I right in saying it’s neither the DMI or MMI?

Railway123321

I went for a job recently and was the DMI the stage right after the paper sift. There may well be more interviews after this but this is an interview for lner to find out more about us and also has competency based questions.
Ahhh that makes sense in many ways :)

Ben Jammin

Hi, i have submitted my error checking results, but also have 'error checking copy' in my list of online tests but it says i have no tests outstanding, if that makes sense. But i have not heard anything.

Should i do the error checking for a second time, even though it says it isnt outstanding?

JDevise

Hello all,

just found this site as I’ve an interview for the LNER train driver jobs. From the communications I can see this will be competency based, but I can’t seem to find a list of the competencies anywhere.

Does anyone know if a competency doc exists anywhere or a list I can use to prepare?

thanks for the help!

Ludus

No idea what to expect to be honest, there's no real guidance for telephone interviews for driver roles... I assume they will just be basic interview questions (tell me about yourself etc...) with some basic competency questions (when did you work well under pressure? etc...) thrown on top. After my interview this week I'll try to update you all on the kind of things they asked - wish me luck, i'll need it!

Last edited:

heedfan

Why would you share the questions here? Do you really think advising people of the questions that you are asked in an interview is a good way to secure the role yourself? I would strongly encourage you to not share this information as it puts those who are earlier on in the week, including you, at a significant disadvantage.

I have to say I am pretty surprised by some of the things people have posted on this thread. Particularly regarding applying more than once using different email addresses. This is an incredibly sought after role and TOCs will remove you from the process for the smallest reason. TOCs have removed candidates for things posted online plenty of times, including things posted on this forum.

It would not be hard to identify some people given what they have posted on here and the information you will have submitted in your application. By all means do what you need to do to get the job. But for goodness sake, do not post about it on a public forum.

Fancythis

I hate to be a spoil sport but I'm inclined to agree, (even though my interview is Thursday.) At the minute it's a level playing field, and we're having to show some initiative in our preparation. Not really fair on others. Perhaps a little too nice of you Ludus? Feel free to private message me though

TO123

I think they’re interviewing more than one person in a time slot tbh, must be more than one person interviewing. Although I do agree it’s not good to give others the questions.

Ludus

You're right, I clearly wasn't thinking straight, just a little worried I guess as I have no clue what to expect.

Last edited:

HotelTango

Due to the nature of the competency based questions which we are likely to expect, I can’t imagine that even knowing the questions will put you at specific advantage. They will be looking for how they are answered and what evidence you can provide to back it up.

Good luck again to all - I also agree that it doesn’t sit well knowing that there are people in the process (even with the best intentions) who are in some way trying to cheat the fair system.

heedfan

You're right, I clearly wasn't thinking straight, just a little worried I guess as I have no clue what to expect.

Trust me, I have been in your position and I understand your nervousness and worry. Try to relax. The basic competancies of train drivers are listed widely by various industry bodies and as long as you have read around these you will be in good stead. Best of luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on! Just keep those questions to yourself

Bucephalus

One Google search on train driver competencies gives a nice list:

https://myjobsearch.com/careers/train-driver.html

• Good mechanical knowledge
  • Good hand-eye co-ordination
  • The ability to concentrate for long periods of time
  • Physical stamina
  • Good communication and interpersonal skills
  • The ability to deal with members of the public
  • Good reaction times
  • A good memory
  • Flexibility
  • Excellent awareness of health and safety regulations and emergency procedures
  • The ability to remain calm under pressure
  • A responsible attitude
  • Good judgement and decision-making skills
  • Reliability...

Can't imagine the competency questions would deviate far from the above. Also, I would imagine each us might get, say, 10 out of 40 questions that are different to the next candidate's.

Status
Not open for further replies.