• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael1985

They were in too much of a rush to explain the next process and apologised for that but he did query my preferred location. This reminded me of the MMI only a lot shorter. Said to expect an email within 4 weeks saying what is next in the process. I have enhanced pass for both parts so fingers crossed that means I could get straight through to DMI... got to the DMI for Arriva not that long ago and tripped on one question... felt tough falling at that stage of the process but looking from the outside this TOC looks the business!

I have been googling with no luck... can anyone tell me the salary and when it goes up. For example I know Arriva London training salary is approx 29k but goes up to 43k after approx 9 months and then approx a year later you finally move to the full salary of 62k... is there something similar at LNER?
Hi there

I believe the salary for a fully qualified driver for LNER is just shy of £70k. I know that if you’re a qualified driver coming from another TOC, you go up to full training after you’ve completed route and traction training, so around 4 months. I’m not sure as a trainee to be honest, but if you have to pass everything from scratch then my guess would be you’d go onto full salary after training, so around a year? Happy to be corrected though if someone knows better.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan4291

They were in too much of a rush to explain the next process and apologised for that but he did query my preferred location. This reminded me of the MMI only a lot shorter. Said to expect an email within 4 weeks saying what is next in the process. I have enhanced pass for both parts so fingers crossed that means I could get straight through to DMI... got to the DMI for Arriva not that long ago and tripped on one question... felt tough falling at that stage of the process but looking from the outside this TOC looks the business!

I have been googling with no luck... can anyone tell me the salary and when it goes up. For example I know Arriva London training salary is approx 29k but goes up to 43k after approx 9 months and then approx a year later you finally move to the full salary of 62k... is there something similar at LNER?

Advert for this job says training salary is £28711. According to Aslef website, full salary is £68988. Don't know if you get that straight after passing out or not.

ExMil79

Advert for this job says training salary is £28711. According to Aslef website, full salary is £68988. Don't know if you get that straight after passing out or not.
Thanks I did have those numbers also... only Eurostar pays better to fully qualified drivers! I was more interested in finding out the expected duration you stay on the £28k figure and if there was a mid level figure you move onto. For instance after training is complete but whilst still on some kind of probation phase/completing your apprenticeship...

Bubba

Thanks I did have those numbers also... only Eurostar pays better to fully qualified drivers! I was more interested in finding out the expected duration you stay on the £28k figure and if there was a mid level figure you move onto. For instance after training is complete but whilst still on some kind of probation phase/completing your apprenticeship...

It would certainly be useful to have an understanding on how the salary increases (if it does) during the training.

Peppajug78

The next stage in the process is going to be a half day of group role plays where they can narrow it down to who will sit psychometrics (anything passed in last 3 years, but unsure of level should skip this stage). Then will then go to final interview and medical I understand.

Railway123321

The next stage in the process is going to be a half day of group role plays where they can narrow it down to who will sit psychometrics (anything passed in last 3 years, but unsure of level should skip this stage). Then will then go to final interview and medical I understand.
Do you know if psychometrics are enhanced or standard at lner? :) EDIT - Sorry just seen you said unsure of level

ExMil79

Thanks for that! Not heard of the role play before! Hopefully I get to skip it if fortunate enough to progress!
UPDATE- got this email back from HR.

The next stages are;
Stage 1 psychometrics
Assessment centre
Stage 2 psychometrics

We will be doing a check of the RACF database to ensure that candidates have reached our ENHANCED level and provided they have within the last 5 years, you would skip those stages

Peppajug78

Thanks for that! Not heard of the role play before! Hopefully I get to skip it if fortunate enough to progress!
UPDATE- got this email back from HR.

The next stages are;
Stage 1 psychometrics
Assessment centre
Stage 2 psychometrics

We will be doing a check of the RACF database to ensure that candidates have reached our ENHANCED level and provided they have within the last 5 years, you would skip those stages

Cheers for that

Fancythis

It feels good to get that interview out of the way! Not too bad. Fingers crossed it was good enough. Good luck to those still to interview.

Nh2014

Am I right in saying an enhanced pass with one toc is not necessarily an enhanced pass with another? Or basically do different toc's set their own level of enhanced standard?

ExMil79

Am I right in saying an enhanced pass with one toc is not necessarily an enhanced pass with another? Or basically do different toc's set their own level of enhanced standard?
Correct! So potentially my enhanced pass marks at another TOC won’t be enough and I’ll need to do another test on the ones that fall short.

heedfan

I told him I don’t mind, I will relocate for any opportunity but he pressed me for a favourite so I said London as it’s closer to my current location/partner.

I was under the impression that you had to currently live within 60 minutes commute of your current location. Eg, they are not accepting candidates who would need to relocate. Unless you have heard differently from LNER?

ExMil79

Not heard differently but I think they might find that’s discrimination if someone is willing to relocate.

heedfan

Not heard differently but I think they might find that’s discrimination if someone is willing to relocate.

It is quite a common policy of recruitment for most TOCs, not just LNER. I am not sure whether you would have much luck claiming discrimination and personally I would check directly with LNER (eg not with the third party recruitment company that's doing the current interviews) if I were you, if you don't currently meet that specific requirement.

ExMil79

I would rather get to the final interview and then tell them about all the lovely properties I have lined up to view this weekend.

Coopes1710

I can get to both Doncaster and Leeds so she said she would mark both down.
Doncaster is closer.

Last edited:

ExMil79

Tell me about it, think my eyes have only just stopped watering from that bourdon test
For me it was the MMI... kept asking me the same question till I didn’t know how to answer it. Think they were trying to see if they could rattle me. Lol

CreamNCookies

For me it was the MMI... kept asking me the same question till I didn’t know how to answer it. Think they were trying to see if they could rattle me. Lol

God, the MMI was the worst experience ive had in regards to assessments.

"Why did you do that? What would you of done differently?"

Dave19801980

‘How did that make you feel?’

‘mmm....but how did that make you feel?’

‘I see...but.....how did that make YOU feel?’

Michael1985

Hate to be a pain in the backside, but it states in the job advert that you must be within an hour of your preferred station at the time of application (at the time of application is in capitals and bold)

ExMil79

Hate to be a pain in the backside, but it states in the job advert that you must be within an hour of your preferred station at the time of application (at the time of application is in capitals and bold)
I was living in York so technically I was!

Status
Not open for further replies.