• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancythis

Assuming you've already started your training then I hope you're aware you'd be eligible to pay back all training costs to the TOC as per the contract you've signed?

I understand the position you may be in, but the sensible thing here would be to complete your training and work for the TOC for a few years, then look to move elsewhere. From years of lurking around these forums and reading posts from some HR insiders, I understand that most TOCs appear to have some kind unwritten "pact" to not hire trainees from other TOCs. That's just speculation though... ;)
I did suspect that there would be something in the contract to stop this sort of thing. They need to protect their investment, and rightfully so. It seems questionable to ask somebody to invest a lot of money in you, then run off into the sunset without repaying any of it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

badger1badger

There might be a question mark over why you’re looking to change TOCs at such an early stage. I’d ask them during the interview, if you’re given the opportunity to do so.

Presumably they are aware that you’re currently training at another TOC from your application form?

I completely disagree with this.

If the previous poster feels there’s a better opportunity on offer at LNER why shouldn’t he or she go for it?

The opinions of applicants who are out of work/aren’t yet in the industry are completely irrelevant.
you are of course entitled to your views

Thanks for everyone’s input. Firstly, if I wish to apply for a better role than what I’m currently in I shall do so for the betterment of my career irregardless of peoples opinions about jumping ship. I suppose jealousy outweighs logic for those who think should I retract? My applying had no bearing on people not having a job. I believe I’m the best candidate and if someone else wants it more and does better than me then good on them. They deserve the job. If not, it’s mine and I’ll try my damnedest to get it.

I know other trainees that have jumped ship also. More money, better t&c’s. It’s not rocket science it’s career astuteness. I’m just being honest here, is it really so far fetched?

Also checked the contract and couldn’t find anything there about paying back but it would make sense And is probably in our t&cs.

Last edited:

Michael1985

Thanks for everyone’s input. Firstly, if I wish to apply for a better role than what I’m currently in I shall do so for the betterment of my career irregardless of peoples opinions about jumping ship. I suppose jealousy outweighs logic for those who think should I retract? My applying had no bearing on people not having a job. I believe I’m the best candidate and if someone else wants it more and does better than me then good on them. They deserve the job. If not, it’s mine and I’ll try my damnedest to get it.

I know other trainees that have jumped ship also. More money, better t&c’s. It’s not rocket science it’s career astuteness. I’m just being honest here, is it really so far fetched?

Also checked the contract and couldn’t find anything there about paying back but it would make sense And is probably in our t&cs.
In fairness BlackPanther, you did come on here asking for advice and seemed to have responded defensively when you’ve heard stuff that you didn’t like the sound of. From what I can see, only one person has actually turned around and told you to retract your application.

As for ‘logic,’ surely it would be more logical to apply for a post with LNER when they’re advertising for qualified drivers, rather than trainee drivers as the numbers, and therefore the odds, are massively more in your favour?

Like I said in a previous post, it’s your life. You’re in a win/win position to a degree; keep your application in, get offered the position and happy days. The only unknown is how much, if any, of your training fee you would have to pay back.

Keep your application in with LNER, don’t get offered the position, and go back to your training with your current TOC. No one is any the wiser, you’ve had experience of the LNER recruitment process which will stand you in good stead for the next time you apply.

Like I said, win/win. To a degree.

Bubba

Had mine earlier. Id prepared about 7 pages of notes and hardly used any of it - its pretty tough.

If the job was based on 'waffling' Id be confident of getting an offer :lol:

Got to this stage twice before and failed so arent holding out much hope. I have got a lot of experience, but getting it out in detail when on the spot is painfully hard.

Hopeful2015

Had mine earlier. Id prepared about 7 pages of notes and hardly used any of it - its pretty tough.

Got to this stage twice before and failed so arent holding out much hope. I have got a lot of experience, but getting it out in detail when on the spot is painfully hard.

Hahahaha ha I know exactly what you mean. Nice enough bloke I spoke to though.

Gigmole

If you only had a grade D English would they throw out you application straight away ?
I doubt given the volume of applicants and the way the recruitment is being run, they would have read the applications yet. They probably want to wait until the recruitment process has identified those suitable to continue.
I'd be surprised if anyone could progress without an A - C in Maths and English, if it was one of the specified criteria.

Michael1985

If you only had a grade D English woukd they throw out you application straight away ?
I’m pretty sure that one of the questions you had to answer before you started the application was if you had English and Maths to at least a grade C. They asked me that at the beginning of my telephone interview.

I don’t think it would necessarily rule you out however. I know my TOC run courses for conductors/train managers now as apprenticeships. Quite a few of the people on the courses coming through have said that because they left school so long ago, they are unable to provide proof that they have the A-C because they have either lost their original certificates or their old school is no longer a school so can’t get a replacement. What they do in that instance, is the TOC, well mine anyway, sets out a week of the training to let people who can’t provide proof of A-C English and Maths, the opportunity to sit an intensive course to do so.

Like I say, that’s for guards not drivers, and it will undoubtedly vary TOC to TOC, but don’t think it’s the end of the world if you have a D.

Last edited:

Aftv49

I just had my telephone interview. I think it went well, fingers crossed.

Anyway, I'd like to share some points with everyone.

The person I spoke with has confirmed the following -

LNER tend to have training classes every quarter and had one planned for next month, but due to COVID-19 that is possibly going to change.

They are recruiting drivers because most of the current drivers are coming to the age of retirement.

Training will take place at York station for approximately 4 months, this well then be followed by training at your chosen depot.

For those of us who have passed the driver psychometric tests, we will still need to sit the pen and paper test, attend the assessment centre and then we will have a DMI.

They also don't have a fixed number of trainees they will recruit. So it could be that they are recruit only a few trainees or they hire a lot of trainees.

Hopeful2015

Got my telephone interview coming soon. What sort of questions were they asking you?
f
No offense but I doubt anyone is gonna tell you the questions.
I had mine this morning and the fella was real nice, put me at ease and although none of the questions were what I had thought of I think I did OK.
Just relax and take your time.

Aftv49

What's the pen and paper test, and is the assessment centre the group activities or something like that?

I am not sure what the pen and paper test consists of, my initial thought was that it was stage 1 of driver psychometrics. Please do ask them in your phone interview and get back to us on what they say.

As for the assessment centre, I cannot tell you what it will entail, but as others have mentioned, it does seem to be more like a group activity session.

Michael1985

Pen and paper is stuff like Group Bourdon test I believe. Psychometric tests that require pen and pencil as opposed to computers

dan4291

Ah ok. I've already done them as part of the OPC psychometrics tests. I've done both stage 1 (paper tests) and stage 2 (computer tests plus MMI). Was just asking because of the line in the post above by Aftv49: -

"For those of us who have passed the driver psychometric tests, we will still need to sit the pen and paper test, attend the assessment centre and then we will have a DMI."

Thought the pen and paper test was separate to the Group Bourdon, etc. tests.

I am not sure what the pen and paper test consists of, my initial thought was that it was stage 1 of driver psychometrics. Please do ask them in your phone interview and get back to us on what they say.

As for the assessment centre, I cannot tell you what it will entail, but as others have mentioned, it does seem to be more like a group activity session.

Already had my interview yesterday afternoon. Went OK I think, will await a response.

Coopes1710

if I am honest I don’t think I used the best answers and ones I had practiced.
I think because it was not face to face and I could hear the lady typing I tried to get to the point rather than tell a story

I know exactly what you mean. I had paper set out all around me with answers and I didn’t use any of them.

18nufc98

received an email last night to book interview online. First time I have applied for anything like this so into nervous territory now. Now for the preparation !

badger1badger

I really don’t know why you put the post ?
You have come across very defensive and yet you could have kept quiet,

I reaffirm that either retract or simply stop winding others up not good practice in an open forum

Nh2014

I believe
It did say you needed them to apply or the equivalent and it was one of the first questions I was asked in the interview.
The minimum c grades are in regards to the apprenticeship level 3 enrolment, the drivers academy will not put you on it without these grades

ExMil79

I just had my telephone interview. I think it went well, fingers crossed.

Anyway, I'd like to share some points with everyone.

The person I spoke with has confirmed the following -

LNER tend to have training classes every quarter and had one planned for next month, but due to COVID-19 that is possibly going to change.

They are recruiting drivers because most of the current drivers are coming to the age of retirement.

Training will take place at York station for approximately 4 months, this well then be followed by training at your chosen depot.

For those of us who have passed the driver psychometric tests, we will still need to sit the pen and paper test, attend the assessment centre and then we will have a DMI.

They also don't have a fixed number of trainees they will recruit. So it could be that they are recruit only a few trainees or they hire a lot of trainees.
Handy information, thanks for that!!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Just on the subject of telephone interviews - how long do they last? I take it the candidate needs to be sat around near the phone at the appointed hour ready for that important call? I've never actually done one.

I'm waiting to a have a telephone interview for a non driving job but the HR people have postponed it until further notice pending what happens with the Covid19 crisis.

CJ

TDH2019

Just had my interview this morning.

Thought it went ok but you just can’t tell with these types of interviews. Try to use STAR technique as much as possible. There was nothing there that I haven’t been asked before so just try and stay calm and listen to the questions. Personally, I found it much easier over the phone and the lady I spoke to made me feel at ease. Mine lasted just over 25 mins.

Good luck to everyone.

Sammy2019

Had mine yesterday only lasted 15 minutes and felt rushed. Guessing that’s not a good sign we will have to see

Evolution

Which are these T&C's you speak of? I've actually heard the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.