• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Also checked the contract and couldn’t find anything there about paying back but it would make sense And is probably in our t&cs.

These clauses tend not to be enforceable (as TOCs know well). They use them as a way to threaten people, but won’t withhold pay, and won’t do anything if you simply refuse to pay, because there’s nothing they can do (been there, done it). :D

Ignore the naysayers on this thread. If you’ve spotted a better opportunity - go for it! Good for you, it shows initiative. Do the interview, and see where you get to.

I reaffirm that either retract or simply stop winding others up not good practice in an open forum

When you last applied for a job you wanted, did the thought that it might annoy people who want to do the same job, but haven’t yet broken in the same industry, occur to you? If it did, did it bother you? If one of them had told you on an online discussion forum to withdraw your application, would you have done?

I suspect the answer is “no” on all counts - it certainly would be for me! The previous poster has as much right to apply for this role as anyone else. He/she also has a proven track record of getting through TOC selection processes so is probably immediately in with a better chance than many other posters on this thread.

Good luck to him!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

charles123

Had my interview. Was going to post after it at an earlier daye but didnt want to identify myself.

I found it very much like my MMI in regards to the questions asked.

I cant tell if i did good enough but in 4 weeks ill find out i guess.

In regards to driving licence, I was only asked if i had a method of transport to get to the depot. I mention my method and it was accepted. So who knows why people may of been dumped out of the process for not having a driving licence. Maybe they mentioned they would not be able to get to the depot or home at unsocialable hours.

Thanks for posting this, very annoying as I live close to central and have ways of getting there without a car, I've emailed them about it but not got a reply at all!

badger1badger

These clauses tend not to be enforceable (as TOCs know well). They use them as a way to threaten people, but won’t withhold pay, and won’t do anything if you simply refuse to pay, because there’s nothing they can do (been there, done it). :D

Ignore the naysayers on this thread. If you’ve spotted a better opportunity - go for it! Good for you, it shows initiative. Do the interview, and see where you get to.

When you last applied for a job you wanted, did the thought that it might annoy people who want to do the same job, but haven’t yet broken in the same industry, occur to you? If it did, did it bother you? If one of them had told you on an online discussion forum to withdraw your application, would you have done?

I suspect the answer is “no” on all counts - it certainly would be for me! The previous poster has as much right to apply for this role as anyone else. He/she also has a proven track record of getting through TOC selection processes so is probably immediately in with a better chance than many other posters on this thread.

Good luck to him!

Good luck to him!

ok “ mr keyboard warrior “

Fancythis

Good luck to him!
I've got no problem with people doing what's best for them and theirs. I was just giving my opinion on how it's likely to be seen from the LNER perspective.
With 1000's of applicants, and likely 100's of those capable of doing the job. Why would they invest in somebody that has clearly demonstrated to them that they're not particularly bothered about the impact their actions have on the TOC they work for as long as it benefits themselves?

Komma

Opinions are like backsides, we all have one. Let's keep this thread on track and good luck to all.

Red1980

I've got no problem with people doing what's best for them and theirs. I was just giving my opinion on how it's likely to be seen from the LNER perspective.
With 1000's of applicants, and likely 100's of those capable of doing the job. Why would they invest in somebody that has clearly demonstrated to them that they're not particularly bothered about the impact their actions have on the TOC they work for as long as it benefits themselves?

To be fair there's plenty of TOCs out there that wouldn't give a frogs fat ass about it. I applied for a position not so long back with a TOC and was successful.....when I told them how long my notice period was in my current role let's just say they more than hinted about the possibility of breaking my Terms and conditions and joining sooner.

A conscience is a fine thing but let's not make the mistake of thinking a TOC won't look out for itself when it needs to and worry about other stuff later.

Established Member
With 1000's of applicants, and likely 100's of those capable of doing the job.

Turning that around, they have to whittle down thousands of applicants. Someone who has already successfully got through the application process elsewhere might make a better bet than someone whose a complete unknown.

Why would they invest in somebody that has clearly demonstrated to them that they're not particularly bothered about the impact their actions have on the TOC they work for as long as it benefits themselves?

If TOCs cared about that they’d never recruit qualified drivers from elsewhere, and yet they do. All the time.

Fancythis

Turning that around, they have to whittle down thousands of applicants. Someone who has already successfully got through the application process elsewhere might make a better bet than someone whose a complete unknown.

If TOCs cared about that they’d never recruit qualified drivers from elsewhere, and yet they do. All the time.
Maybe I've got this wrong then. Although recruiting a qualified driver is a completely different proposition.
I'd be interested to find out the outcome of the telephone interview black panther?

Established Member
Maybe I've got this wrong then. Although recruiting a qualified driver is a completely different proposition.
I'd be interested to find out the outcome of the telephone interview black panther?

Yep qualified is different proposition* - personally I’ve not come across someone moving before passing out but have heard heard of it happening (albeit I take everything I hear in this industry with a pinch of salt).

*Having said that when LNER last recruited for trainees (in VTEC guise) I believe they accepted applications from qualified drivers, who would presumably have been taken straight into traction training and route learning. So things aren’t always as clear cut as they seem.

iwasyoungonce

If TOC's cared about that they’d never recruit qualified drivers from elsewhere, and yet they do. All the time.
I recently told a TOC company when they invited me for testing that I already had an existing application with another TOC in progress, the HR person then suggested that it would be "courtesy" to withdraw the application with them in order to free up a place in their process for someone else !! and stick with the other TOC process.

Duns2208

I recently told a TOC company when they invited me for testing that I already had an existing application with another TOC in progress, the HR person then suggested that it would be "courtesy" to withdraw the application with them in order to free up a place in their process for someone else !! and stick with the other TOC process.

Whilst I appreciate the loyalty within this approach as someone who was stung in the past by VTEC offering me a trainee role only to then withdraw it, the best advice I received on this forum was not to put all your eggs in one basket, I missed several opportunities believing I was through the process with one TOC. At the time a qualified driver (and I didn’t listen) insisted never to stop applying elsewhere until you have a start date and contract confirmed.

badger1badger

Yep qualified is different proposition* - personally I’ve not come across someone moving before passing out but have heard heard of it happening (albeit I take everything I hear in this industry with a pinch of salt).

*Having said that when LNER last recruited for trainees (in VTEC guise) I believe they accepted applications from qualified drivers, who would presumably have been taken straight into traction training and route learning. So things aren’t always as clear cut as they seem.
The difference is

qualified, fine to move where you want.

not qualified, finish your training ......

Easy

Nh2014

If Citroën hired you as a test driver and you have a years training to do then 5 weeks later ferrari start hiring for test drivers what would you do?

Established Member
The difference is

qualified, fine to move where you want.

not qualified, finish your training ......

Easy

You may think that should be the case, but apparently some TOCs disagree with you, and they’re the ones making the hiring decisions.

badger1badger

If Citroën hired you as a test driver and you have a years training to do then 5 weeks later ferrari start hiring for test drivers what would you do?
I would finish my training at Citroen as my final year would bring more to the table for Ferrari to move me up the ranks quicker rather than start lower down

Established Member
open and honest discussion - you maybe not right on everything railway related

I don’t claim to be.

I also don’t claim any right to go around telling other people which jobs they can and can’t apply for.

TBDDesiro

Hi

Hope you don't mind me replying to this.

Firstly, I'm sure that you probably did better than you think so don't beat yourself up about it.

Secondly, you say that you were asked competency based questions that hadn't come up when you were researching. I think therein lies the problem with competency based questions (in my opinion); people are too focussed trying to find out the exact question that is going to be chucked at them, and when it isnt, or it's worded differently, people tend to panic.

Just to offer a bit of advice to anyone who is following this thread, and it is only advice from my own point of view and experiences, you are better off researching what type of skills are needed to be a train driver and thinking about example answers based around those skills so that you have examples ready when the question comes at you. For example, the role of a driver is customer focussed role, so think of times when you've helped a customer out, or when you have went above and beyond to help someone out. Rather than thinking 'I must have a word perfect answer for the question 'Can you give me an example when you've went above and beyond to help a customer?' ' I think essentially what I'm saying is that the wording of questions tends to throw a lot of people, but essentially they are the same question.

For example, I had my telephone interview yesterday and in preparation I thought of examples for all of the following skills:
Customer service, attention to detail, concentration, systematic approach, positive attitude towards rules and procedures, assertiveness, teamwork, decision making, diagnosing problems, cooperation, multitasking, prioritising and organisation. This way, I knew had examples covered for a wide range of skills that they could ask, rather than thinking about the exact question.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, and I'm certainly not preaching, I'm just offering some advice as I've seen a few people on various threads stressing about this type of thing, and it works for me. It may not work for me this time, but I felt relaxed whilst doing the interview.

By the way Ludus, this is by no means a criticism of you, in any shape or form. Everyone who has come this far, have some confidence in yourselves as you've already beaten thousands of hopefuls to get to this stage. You know your stuff, just try to relax and enjoy it.

And before anyone asks, NO, I won't tell you what the questions were.

I had my interview last week, and +1 to this method, think of examples which include the above skills.

The guy I spoke to was really nice and didn’t make you feel pressured or rushed.

Same as what others have said 4 weeks wait and assessment centre and tests would be next.

gibsonhough

Did anyone who has had the phone interview ask about the potential start date for training? I forgot to ask although it's probably unknown due to coronavirus

Gooner18

Had mine today , caught me totally off guard as I had cancelled it on Sunday. Still went ahead with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.