• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclist

So far I’ve done the situational judgement test (the one where you choose what a driver would do in a situation). Then I received instant rejection email. After that I received 5 emails saying they’d made a mistake and was given “error checking” and “error checking copy” and completed both. Nothing yet after this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chanelle25

My Friend got one instantly after he completed the 3rd
Heya,
Very strange which makes me think I either scored very badly or their system are playing up? I'm sure as and when this will be confirmed properly? What makes me question it is the speed that the rejection e mail bounced back.....
Just managed to finish the third test being the verbal reasoning, no rejection email as of yet so fingers crossed
Did you get the VR?
Hiya,

I got an instant rejection e mail after completing the VR! Either I scored really low or another glitch in their system. Anyone else received an rejection e mail after the VR?

ST

Did anyone receive the 3rd test after a delay? Completed the second test (error checking) this morning and nothing since! See some received it straight away but not sure whether this is the norm?

Thanks in advance.

dan4291

Just done my Error Checking and Verbal Reasoning tests, one after the other. Error Checking was fairly straightforward (used to doing very similar things in my current job) and managed 40 out of 50 in 10 minutes. The Verbal Reasoning test was trickier, hoping I've done well enough.

railwanabe

40 out of 50. How confident are you that you got 40 correct? I done about 25-30 confident 100%

Ludus

Like Dan I also work in IT and compare huge amounts of data in my job to the point where it is critical I even spot an error between a comma or a full stop. I managed 32 and got the invite for the third test instantly. I haven't had an automatic rejection email yet. I assume this is where the manual selection now takes places, most likely starting with the highest scoring applicant and working their way down.

TBDDesiro

I emailed into them as only received SJT and Error Checking (but has a 3rd email inviting for another which wasn’t there!).

Bit later on I received an invite to do VR1. I received another email about 2-3 hours later confirming I’ve completed all 3 assessments and they’ll be in contact at a later date.

Established Member
They’re an awful team to deal with. They’ve not even stayed true to their word from when we were let go. I just searched for the email and it reads...”we would like to keep in touch with you so we can make you aware when such vacancies arise and you will be given an early opportunity to apply before we make these vacancies available more widely”. From what I can tell, no early opportunity to apply was given - just an email to say they were recruiting. Luckily, I’ve not needed to apply as I’ve now qualified as a driver elsewhere.

Very glad to hear you’ve successfully got on elsewhere. It’s a great industry in many respects.

It would have been far classier of LNER to reopen it to the previous applicants who successfully jumped through Virgin’s team building, Lego playing, “arrive awesome” hoops. That’s exactly the kind of corporate BS I joined this industry to get away from!

What any of that utter drivel has to do with the job of driving trains is anyone’s guess, as anybody who has spent five seconds actually doing the job will know. 95% of a driver’s working day is spent alone! If anything the loneliness is one of the most difficult aspects of the job, and needs to be better emphasised during the recruitment process.
LNER/VTEC/OLR. It’s just another TOC, at the end of the day.

It might be a different company now but, as with all TOCs, a different brand name above above the door means exactly the same monkeys, eating exactly the same peanuts, wearing different stripes.

Last edited:

KJ83

Not going to lie, that VR test was a B1TCH!!! I found that hard work.... if I do pass it, its a fluke!

Established Member
How do I retract my application again? o_O

Email LNER HR’s website immediately.

If (and it’s a big if) you get through the selection process, you’ll be working with people just like me. :D

If you don’t like it: you know what to do...

Last edited:

TheGoldfish

Its still open at the moment
i tried to apply on the LNER website last week and it said it was already closed .. but this morning found a link to LNER on FB and it was open and let me apply ????

unfortunately i got the instant rejecttion email after the SJE ??? Ive also done a few of these and generally get passed them but not this one even though the questions are broadly the same as other TOCs??

Owen2323

i tried to apply on the LNER website last week and it said it was already closed .. but this morning found a link to LNER on FB and it was open and let me apply ????

unfortunately i got the instant rejecttion email after the SJE ??? Ive also done a few of these and generally get passed them but not this one even though the questions are broadly the same as other TOCs??

I'm the same as you Goldfish - I passed TPE's SJT but didn't pass this one even though some of the questions were exactly the same I think!?

I've had similar experiences when doing aptitude tests on the civil service website - exact same test but very different scores on a different day. It's very frustrating but just comes down to how you're feeling on the day etc.

I've even had the same with interviews a lot recently - I think luck plays it's part a lot with them........

Moral of the story is don't give up - keep trying and success will come your way eventually

Cyclist

I'm the same as you Goldfish - I passed TPE's SJT but didn't pass this one even though some of the questions were exactly the same I think!?

I've had similar experiences when doing aptitude tests on the civil service website - exact same test but very different scores on a different day. It's very frustrating but just comes down to how you're feeling on the day etc.

I've even had the same with interviews a lot recently - I think luck plays it's part a lot with them........

Moral of the story is don't give up - keep trying and success will come your way eventually
There has been an error in the system where they accidentally reject SJT's. Read through the entire thread here. You might get an email saying it was a mistake, this happened to me.

Owen2323

Thanks - I was aware of that before I did it and was hoping an email would come through shortly after but it's been a few days now and I'm not gonna hold my breath.......
I think this one was a bit harder than TPE's to be fair - I was very torn between answers on a few questions.

There has been an error in the system where they accidentally reject SJT's. Read through the entire thread here. You might get an email saying it was a mistake, this happened to me.

charles123

I applied and done the first 2 tests, said on the to do list that my application was incomplete which was weird as I completed it to get sent the tests, i then completed it again and got sent the same SJT, not sure whether to do it again or to leave it? Still says I completed 2 assessments and 1 outstanding.

charles123

I applied and done the first 2 tests, said on the to do list that my application was incomplete which was weird as I completed it to get sent the tests, i then completed it again and got sent the same SJT, not sure whether to do it again or to leave it? Still says I completed 2 assessments and 1 outstanding.

charles123

I have now got invited to do the verbal reasoning so must be alright!

Ludus

Email LNER HR’s website immediately.

If (and it’s a big if) you get through the selection process, you’ll be working with people just like me. :D

If you don’t like it: you know what to do...
I jest, of course. But you do highlight my concerns with driving high speed.

Chanelle25

Rejected despite not completing third test. Not all bad - still in pool for northern & metro.
Hiya,

What test did you just complete? Seems to be a lot of automatic rejections, I do wonder if it's a glitch in their system? I got a rejection email after the VR assessment, it was so quick that I thought wowsers? Funnily enough, I also got a rejection email after the 1st initial assessment also in quick response to me submitting it, then they emailed me to say there is a glitch in the system.......

Northernboy

I think we all need to stop torturing ourselves and just forget about this until LNER have sorted themselves out. Their system is clearly in tatters.
I just received a rejection email after two invites to do the VR test which they didn’t send me.

Busyboy89

Has anyone got a contact for lner? Can’t seem to find and email or phone number. Cheers in advance

Rachelftd

I’ve just finished my VR test, haven’t received any confirmation email or rejection email yet... was very tricky.
Fingers crossed for everyone that’s applied!

Status
Not open for further replies.