• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclist

so far I've had three tech glitches: being denied after only one test, being sent two error checking tests and then not being sent the third test. Have overcome them and finally been offered a phone interview like many of you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

badger1badger

so far I've had three tech glitches: being denied after only one test, being sent two error checking tests and then not being sent the third test. Have overcome them and finally been offered a phone interview like many of you.
Good luck

ST

Did you eventually get sent the third test? Good luck!

Azumaaaa1324

Hi, I have my telephone interview coming up and have prepared myself for questions like communication, team work, deadlines and stuff. Just wanted advice if I am on the right track or will they be asking something different. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Ludus

So I absolutely fluffed my interview. :oops: Nerves just got the better of me and I was asked some questions that I hadn't even come across in the last couple of days of practice and revision I have been doing. It's funny, I've never struggled with an interview in my life, but I think the difference this time was that I actually want the job, so the stakes were high! :lol: Although it's a great shame and I can't help but feel disappointed in myself, as others have said on this thread, you win some, you lose some! Just look at it as a positive experience... it was great to actually have the opportunity to at least get to an interview with a TOC and now I know I need to be a lot more prepared next time! My interviewer was awesome though, you all have nothing to worry about, it felt like it was just a friendly chat.

For those asking though, I was told there was currently NO talent pool with LNER - all successful candidates will go straight into a training course in York. You are also asked at the start of the interview what depot you are applying for, and in my case, whether you are willing to relocate if successful.

Azumaaaa1324

So I absolutely fluffed my interview. :oops: Nerves just got the better of me and I was asked some questions that I hadn't even come across in the last couple of days of practice and revision I have been doing. It's funny, I've never struggled with an interview in my life, but I think the difference this time was that I actually want the job, so the stakes were high! :lol: Although it's a great shame and I can't help but feel disappointed in myself, as others have said on this thread, you win some, you lose some! Just look at it as a positive experience... it was great to actually have the opportunity to at least get to an interview with a TOC and now I know I need to be a lot more prepared next time! My interviewer was awesome though, you all have nothing to worry about, it felt like it was just a friendly chat.

For those asking though, I was told there was currently NO talent pool with LNER - all successful candidates will go straight into a training course in York. You are also asked at the start of the interview what depot you are applying for, and in my case, whether you are willing to relocate if successful.
So I absolutely fluffed my interview. :oops: Nerves just got the better of me and I was asked some questions that I hadn't even come across in the last couple of days of practice and revision I have been doing. It's funny, I've never struggled with an interview in my life, but I think the difference this time was that I actually want the job, so the stakes were high! :lol: Although it's a great shame and I can't help but feel disappointed in myself, as others have said on this thread, you win some, you lose some! Just look at it as a positive experience... it was great to actually have the opportunity to at least get to an interview with

that has scared me... not asking you for the question but when you say that they asked question you hadn't prepared for what were the question based on i.e. policy and procedure?

Coopes1710

Hi Ludus
So you just feel you fluffed it or have you been notified you haven't got through?
Even if you struggled you may of still got out what they needed to hear.
I must admit I am very nervous. I have a lot of experience to refer too but it will be getting it out in words.
I have only ever had one interview before and that was 13 years ago so I don’t feel very prepared. Not long to wait now though

Gooner18

I am sure you have done better than you think.
Surely they have more than just one training centre, can’t imagine they expect someone in London to travel every day up to York to do their training?

dan4291

Surely they have more than just one training centre, can’t imagine they expect someone in London to travel every day up to York to do their training?

TOCs will pay for hotels for trainees that are based a long way from the training centre.

Railway123321

They would put you up in a hotel during class room based training i believe :)

CreamNCookies

I'm certain they would put you up in a hotel like other TOCs do. I know Northern give you the option of staying in a hotel or traveling each day and being paid for the time you travel (conductor courses anyway).

Michael1985

Just done my phone interview. Wasn't too bad, managed to answer all the questions, perhaps in too much detail as interview overran. Didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary asked. I asked about the next stages and they were as follows:

Pen and Paper Pyschometric Testing
Assessment Centre
Driver Psychometric Testing
Face to Face Interview

Best of luck to everyone

Coopes1710

I have just had my phone interview too.
The lady was very easy to talk too and made me feel relaxed.
I was told I would be contacted by LNER within 4 weeks to let me know if I have been successful and if so what the next stage is.

good luck everyone

Aftv49

Just done my phone interview. Wasn't too bad, managed to answer all the questions, perhaps in too much detail as interview overran. Didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary asked. I asked about the next stages and they were as follows:

Pen and Paper Pyschometric Testing
Assessment Centre
Driver Psychometric Testing
Face to Face Interview

Best of luck to everyone

Hi Michael,

I hope you pass mate!

May I ask, did the interviewer mention what the assessment centre will consist of? Also, what’s the difference between pen and paper psychometric tests and driver psychometric tests?

I have passed my psychometric tests with another TOC, and that included - Tea-OCC, Group Bourdon, TRP1&2, Computer Tests and MMI.

You are also asked at the start of the interview what depot you are applying for, and in my case, whether you are willing to relocate if successful.

May I ask which depot was your preference please @Ludus?

Has anyone else been asked this question? Just trying to see if I’ll be asked to up sticks..

Dsm13

Hi, I'm new to all this. I passed the first 3 assessments and have my phone interview tomorrow. Ever so slightly nervous now. I've been preparing using the STAR approach with some generic questions and looking through practise competency questions. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone

Michael1985

Hi Michael,

I hope you pass mate!

May I ask, did the interviewer mention what the assessment centre will consist of? Also, what’s the difference between pen and paper psychometric tests and driver psychometric tests?

I have passed my psychometric tests with another TOC, and that included - Tea-OCC, Group Bourdon, TRP1&2, Computer Tests and MMI.
Hi

The interviewer didn't mention what the assessment centre would entail, I'd imagine it would be explained if we're successful at the phone interview stage.

Regarding the pen and paper and driver pyschometric tests, I'm not too sure, but I'd imagine you've already passed it. I know for Northern that the pen and paper and the computerised driver psychometrics are done on the same day, and you have to pass the pen and paper ones to then do the driver ones in the afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Fahim

Hi all, I've just had my interview. Started off so well but kind of fluffed the last question as the example I gave wasn't the best. Questions weren't too bad, I was expecting worse! I did go on a bit too much as the woman stopped typing and apparently I answered another question before she even asked, so not sure what to think of that. It's nothing too much to worry about, just don't let the nerves get the better of you! She did inform me that someone will be in contact within the next 4 weeks, and suggested I email recruitment if I want specifics. Good luck everyone!

Aftv49

For those of you have had your phone interview, I wish you all the best!

Roughly how many questions were asked during the telephone interview?

Also, is it worth it researching and revising the company for this stage?

Whitney2993

Is anybody still waiting to hear back at all, i’ve still had no rejection email and no emails reference invite to interview, I’m working off the principal of no news is good news at the minute but from what I’m seeing the vast majority of you have at least had some sort of reply?

Bubba

Is anybody still waiting to hear back at all, i’ve still had no rejection email and no emails reference invite to interview, I’m working off the principal of no news is good news at the minute but from what I’m seeing the vast majority of you have at least had some sort of reply?

You arent alone. I have just emailed them just to check given the technical glitch at application stage. I will let you know the outcome.

Whitney2993

You arent alone. I have just emailed them just to check given the technical glitch at application stage. I will let you know the outcome.
Cheers bubba I emailed them yesterday so if I hear anything before you I’ll let you know

na281093

Just want to chip in about the telephone interviews. I think I did well in mine, answered all of the questions and it went for 30 minutes exactly. I was particular not to stutter or say “errmm” too much. The most important thing is the lady who done the interview for me was very nice and friendly and this made the process much easier, the 30 minutes genuinely felt like 5-10 minutes. Good luck everyone, we’ll see what they say in 4 weeks.

charles123

Had my telephone interview this afternoon and unfortunately I won't be progressing any further as I don't have a driving licence, said all roles outside central London require a driving licence! So bear that in mind for anyone with an interview coming up!

Bubba

Just had the invite to an interview. Not sure if it was on the back of my email or not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.