• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNERCA Set put out of action on the NYMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Might work - Worth a try. BTW - I assume administered with the back of the hand. Got to hurt more.

A sharply closing preserved carriage door to the fingers would do the job.

But seriously, it's that or a very hefty fine imposed on their parents if they can't pay it themselves. Little scumbags can be corrected, but it takes more than a caution and half an hour of community service. We really need to grasp as a society that pathetic, meaningless sentences do more harm than good. They reinforce the toxic idea that even if you get caught, nobody will do anything. It isn't good enough, and it wants dealing with.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
A requirement to do voluntary work every weekend for the next two years, for every weekend the work is not satisfactory the following weekend spent locked up in isolation with no electronic devices and only selected books for entertainment, while on basic rations

Luckily not all 8 teaks have been put out of action. As Brake Third Open 43567 is coupled to the Pullman Diner set at present in lieu of Pullman Car 79 [of Hornby Dublo, Triang and later day Hornby fame] is out of service for a major overhaul. There are several problems with 79 that need addressing, so the teak 43657 is covering for the time being in the Diner. Which in turn reminds me. Several folk have remarked that they were surprised that the teaks were ONLY third class as they were far better than First!

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A sharply closing preserved carriage door to the fingers would do the job.

But seriously, it's that or a very hefty fine imposed on their parents if they can't pay it themselves. Little scumbags can be corrected, but it takes more than a caution and half an hour of community service. We really need to grasp as a society that pathetic, meaningless sentences do more harm than good. They reinforce the toxic idea that even if you get caught, nobody will do anything. It isn't good enough, and it wants dealing with.

I agree however I don't think locking people up for minor offences works well. Fine them AND make them work off the debt AND make them be seen to be working off the debt.

Luckily not all 8 teaks have been put out of action. As Brake Third Open 43567 is coupled to the Pullman Diner set at present in lieu of Pullman Car 79 [of Hornby Dublo, Triang and later day Hornby fame] is out of service for a major overhaul. There are several problems wit 79 that need addressing, so the teak 43657 is covering for the time being in the Diner. Which in turn reminds me. Several folk have remarked that they were surprised that the teaks were ONLY third class as they were far better than First!

that is good news. They are such nice carriages and add to the ambiance

Last edited:

Ploughman

Established Member
Posted elsewhere and copied here.

This is the sort of attitude by the courts that needs to change.

Back a few years the Bowes Railway, had a visit by the itinerant scrap-men, who were caught red-handed.
As expected they were invited to Court. But it wasn't their fault, it was the Railways.
As Bowes should have had signage saying Trespassers will be prosecuted etc.
It didn't matter that the metal ones had been weighed in, the wooden ones had been burnt as fire wood and one of the scrap-men apparently being unable to read to save his life......

Posted elsewhere and copied here.

This is the sort of attitude by the courts that needs to change.

Back a few years the Bowes Railway, had a visit by the itinerant scrap-men, who were caught red-handed.
As expected they were invited to Court. But it wasn't their fault, it was the Railways.
As Bowes should have had signage saying Trespassers will be prosecuted etc.
It didn't matter that the metal ones had been weighed in, the wooden ones had been burnt as fire wood and one of the scrap-men apparently being unable to read to save his life......

Thanks for copying my post onto this site too Ploughman. It was back in the early mid eightes, when I was involvd there. Had though of adding it myself;).

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A requirement to do voluntary work every weekend for the next two years, for every weekend the work is not satisfactory the following weekend spent locked up in isolation with no electronic devices and only selected books for entertainment, while on basic rations

Yes, something along those lines would be good. Helping to repair the damage they caused.

route:oxford

Established Member
While wearing a bright pink coat emblazoned with the word criminal.

Isn't "Criminal" a registered trademark of House of Fraser for fashion and apparel?

Not sure about using pink as a humiliation tool either, it suggests the state doesn't value gender or sexual diversity.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Personally I would fine the criminals the cost of replacement material and labour (that would be needed to fix the damage if the perpetrators weren't doing it) deducted from wages or benefits as is necessary. Then I would ensure the criminals were put to work fixing their damage they caused followed by a nice period cutting weeds alongside the track by hand, doing a bit of heavy manual labour cleaning ditches etc. while wearing a bright pink coat emblazoned with the word criminal.....
As I said I can guarantee an appropriate sentence won't be passed, so there is no prospect of this happening. I agree this would be appropriate except I'd drop the coat requirement. As is often the case, I am very confused with what your stance actually is. I don't really want to argue with you on here because it has been done before and it often seems to be the case that you think I am saying something I'm not.

As for "what of prevention?" Well clearly there isn't enough of that either!

If you are at the NYMR the weekend after next, I will gladly share my frustrations with you and we can discuss potential solutions (none of which will actually happen, if they are sensible solutions, but we can dream!)

AndrewE

Established Member
As for "what of prevention?" Well clearly there isn't enough of that either!
Can we afford not to put up simple, secure sheds? It might be a problem where sets of stock have to be stabled in platforms because there is nowhere else, but given the amount of money flowing into new-build locos I am sure that loads of steel-clad agricultural-type sheds could be thrown up pretty quickly if the appeals were made...

Making them Heritage-compliant might be more of a problem though... I would say start by painting the outsides to resemble the surrounding scenery (as Crewe and Wolverton works were to deceive bombers during the 2nd world War)

BestWestern

Established Member
Can we afford not to put up simple, secure sheds? It might be a problem where sets of stock have to be stabled in platforms because there is nowhere else, but given the amount of money flowing into new-build locos I am sure that loads of steel-clad agricultural-type sheds could be thrown up pretty quickly if the appeals were made...

Making them Heritage-compliant might be more of a problem though... I would say start by painting the outsides to resemble the surrounding scenery (as Crewe and Wolverton works were to deceive bombers during the 2nd world War)

Exactly this! It's sad and it's inconvenient, but the heritage movement has to appreciate that trains left sat in the open all night, often in remote locations, is just not an acceptable security situation in this day and age. It amazes me just the same when bus operators merrily leave their hardware essentially parked in the streets at night, and then lo and behold several hundred thousand pounds gets set ablaze by some degenerate scumbag. For heaven's sake these are your essential assets, put them somewhere secure!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

This is a very good suggestion and the people who caused the destruction could be made to assist with the construction and cammo type painting as mentioned above too.

AndrewE

Established Member
This is a very good suggestion and the people who caused the destruction could be made to assist with the construction and cammo type painting as mentioned above too.

I would not want to give them the opportunities to spot either what materials of potential value were lying round, or see what the weakest bits of the structures might be...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I would not want to give them the opportunities to spot either what materials of potential value were lying round, or see what the weakest bits of the structures might be...

Mmm, yes, point taken.

So for some really great news. All the damaged teaks bar Thompson TK 1623 have been repaired and are back in service.

The LNERCA were lucky in having a "new" replacement glass liner for the tea urn in the Buffet 641, donated. A Lady who ran her own cafe had a spare as she the same type urn stored in her garage, left over having retired/sold the business on.

The problems with 1623 are down to having to have new replacement reading light fittings and fixtures made again from scratch. Those destroyed had taken year or so to have made, mainly down to finding a manufacturer prepared/able to make them.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Well done to all who have done a great job to get so much of the damage repaired so quickly.
It is a sad fact of life that there are those who enjoy destruction.....but it is far more important to remember, that they are greatly outnumbered by those who enjoy creating for others.

Edit. I've just watched the Teak set leave Grosmont on the 16:30 for Pickering and it's the Buffet 641 rather than 1623 that's still out. As she needs more work doing......

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Edit. I've just watched the Teak set leave Grosmont on the 16:30 for Pickering and it's the Buffet 641 rather than 1623 that's still out. As she needs more work doing......

The buffet is parked near Pickering. That coach will need the windows repairing.

It needs more than the Windows doing Matt, as the fixtures and fittings were damaged too on the counter, as well as some in the kitchen. Also there is some more involved repairs that I believe are being tackled too whilst 641 is out of service. These repairs have been know about for some time, whilst not at the moment safety criticaly would need doing at some point in the nearer future......

Last edited by a moderator:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Good fortune to follow the recent bad events. Well done to whoever put the bid together.

National Lottery are now much keener on sustainability of tourist attractions. Which this package is full of.

Last edited:
If I was being really really cynical id say the vandalism was an inside job to help get funding for carriage shed and increase donations to match the £4.6million....

I jest, but some good fortune to follow the recent bad events. Well done to whoever put the bid together.

National Lottery are now much keener on sustainability of tourist attractions. Which this package is full of.

An outrageous statement, if you had an ounce of decency you should withdraw it at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.