• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNR new WCML timetable, May 2019 (in open data feeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Another post has said that only Crewe depot staff are signed for Stoke. This shows the absurdity of the timetable that requires say Birmingham depot staff being rostered for trains via Stoke. We are still on this thread talking about changes made in the May timetable. There was a December timetable change but it still looks as if there has been no real improvement.
There has been a substantial improvement in services via the Stoke wobble. Cancellations have been halved from around 20% to 7% in the first week of the new timetable. Still not particularly good if you are sat at Stone with a three hour gap between trains, yet an ECS move can come through at the time of your train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Unplanned DOO trial on tonight’s 1813 Euston-Crewe forward from Northampton appears to have ended in tears at Long Buckby with 20 minutes then caped and everyone abandoned...

sufian123

There has been a substantial improvement in services via the Stoke wobble. Cancellations have been halved from around 20% to 7% in the first week of the new timetable. Still not particularly good if you are sat at Stone with a three hour gap between trains, yet an ECS move can come through at the time of your train.

RTT is showing May TT change Stone is loosing direct service to Euston. It seems. Birmingham airport-Crewe via stoke. I wonder how this will play out?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
RTT is showing May TT change Stone is loosing direct service to Euston. It seems. Birmingham airport-Crewe via stoke. I wonder how this will play out?
That is not quite a 'roll-back to the pre-May 2019 timetable' then. That would require re-instating direct services to London via Rugeley.

sufian123

That is not quite a 'roll-back to the pre-May 2019 timetable' then. That would require re-instating direct services to London via Rugeley.

London Euston-Crewe via Trent valley will avoid stoke. Birmingham-Rgl shuttle and one from airport. Long distance will be Euston-Liverpool.

RealTrains07

Established Member

Thank goodness. Was hoping something like that would play out. only fair considering what LNR are doing to the rugeley service. Hopefully the service will actually be reliable coming back from brum to crewe now :lol:

although some people are going to be annoyed as it means going back to having to change at brum for another train to london

Last edited:

RealTrains07

Established Member
Hopefully now stone has a better chance of getting more later train services heading down towards birmingham. Make things alot easier having trains going after 22:00

edited:
So far the planned timetable looks messy in the mornings at place like birmingham with trains coming from all sorts of stations

looks like LNR are returning to having regular 2 trains an hour working birmingham to london and back. Which is undoing what they did with the may timetable unfortunately

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From Euston it's two Liverpools and a Birmingham (plus Crewe via TV, 2 Trings and an MKC). So the Crewe via Stoke and the Rugeley are now self contained. Same Saturday. On Sunday it appears one of the Liverpools terminates at either Stafford (mornings) or Crewe (afternoons) (not via the wobble) so only 1tph LNR at Liverpool as per now.

I understand there is an intention to make the traincrew and unit diagrams more self-contained by route, so even if the Liverpools remain shockingly unreliable (as I think they will, they really should split the lot back up) the rest should hopefully remain OK.

RealTrains07

Established Member
From Euston it's two Liverpools and a Birmingham (plus Crewe via TV, 2 Trings and an MKC). So the Crewe via Stoke and the Rugeley are now self contained. Same Saturday. On Sunday it appears one of the Liverpools terminates at either Stafford (mornings) or Crewe (afternoons) (not via the wobble) so only 1tph LNR at Liverpool as per now.

I understand there is an intention to make the traincrew and unit diagrams more self-contained by route, so even if the Liverpools remain shockingly unreliable (as I think they will, they really should split the lot back up) the rest should hopefully remain OK.
Diagram self containment will be needed once the 730s start running for sure. Routes like crewe via stoke will need 350s all day for sure

i saw 2 birmingham to euston per hour on RTT

probably so the crewe and rugeley self contained routes have a london train to change over to?

RealTrains07

Established Member
There are three. Two from Liverpool (xx33 and xx54) and one starting at New St (xx14). There's one through from Walsall in the morning peak.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...0/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LM

shows them all.
Edited:
Yeah can confirm that. RTT has been updated since I last looked:lol:

Used to have 2 trains from birmingham to euston per hour
At Birmingham Intl :
The 03 and 24
However 03 has now been updated to liverpool service

nevermind ignore me.

interesting though is

1) why birmingham to london dont start from intl considering what they said before about space at new street?

2) why their isnt a birmingham to london service to go with the new rugeley to Birmingham service??

Last edited:

sufian123

Edited:
Yeah can confirm that. RTT has been updated since I last looked:lol:

Used to have 2 trains from birmingham to euston per hour
At Birmingham Intl :
The 03 and 24
However 03 has now been updated to liverpool service

nevermind ignore me.

interesting though is

1) why birmingham to london dont start from intl considering what they said before about space at new street?

2) why their isnt a birmingham to london service to go with the rugeley service to Birmingham service??

1) all crews based in Birmingham or Coventry in that region. They would need to send crews to airport in order to make it work. Meaning more crews , which they are failing on.

2) currently there is? Failed miserably

RealTrains07

Established Member
1) all crews based in Birmingham or Coventry in that region. They would need to send crews to airport in order to make it work. Meaning more crews , which they are failing on.

2) currently there is? Failed miserably
It will be interesting to see how starting and finishing a intl will work every hour but then again I guess sometimes its just the process of getting off one service and starting to work another??

wondered why the sunday service is terminated/started at coventry, makes sense now:lol:

What i meant was, in the plans their is 1 Birmingham to euston train every hour which acts as the connecting train to change onto after getting off the crewe one

but their isnt the same given to the passengers who are coming from rugeley once at new street?

considering their was a connection before may 2019 to get to euston?

sufian123

It will be interesting to see how starting and finishing a intl will work every hour but then again I guess sometimes its just the process of getting off one service and starting to work another??

wondered why the sunday service is terminated/started at coventry, makes sense now:lol:

What i meant was, in the plans their is 1 Birmingham to euston train every hour which acts as the connecting train to change onto after getting off the crewe one

but their isnt the same given to the passengers who are coming from rugeley once at new street?

considering their was a connection before may 2019 to get to euston?

It does for rgl as well connect with xx14 or xx33 past at newest, or continue to airport for connection. Latter terminates at bhm. xx37 giving connection to xx54.

6026KingJohn

Thank goodness. Was hoping something like that would play out. only fair considering what LNR are doing to the rugeley service. Hopefully the service will actually be reliable coming back from brum to crewe now :lol:

although some people are going to be annoyed as it means going back to having to change at brum for another train to london
Better to change at Stafford than Birmingham, saves about an hour.

To Euston - Stoke train arr xx45, London via Trent Valley dep xx55
From Euston - Trent Valley train arr xx35 Stoke dep xx55

Always assuming they are on time:)

RealTrains07

Established Member
Better to change at Stafford than Birmingham, saves about an hour.

To Euston - Stoke train arr xx45, London via Trent Valley dep xx55
From Euston - Trent Valley train arr xx35 Stoke dep xx55

Always assuming they are on time:)
Makes you wonder why people were complaining about the connection at stafford in the first place when they actually ran on time

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Makes you wonder why people were complaining about the connection at stafford in the first place when they actually ran on time
Because they used to have a direct service, avoiding the Birmingham wobble and the Northampton wobble. Also avoiding Virgin, now Avanti, rip-off prices even for off-peak times. A through train is a near certainty once you are on it, a connection is a risk until you have made it. A missed connection guarantees at least a one hour extension to your scheduled journey. The waiting facilities at Stafford are not exactly comfortable nor warm. New Street remains a thoroughly unpleasant dungeon for the rail user not experiencing the delights of the retail above. Once you are on your through train you can settle down and relax for the whole journey, not having to interrupt it to change trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because they used to have a direct service, avoiding the Birmingham wobble and the Northampton wobble. Also avoiding Virgin, now Avanti, rip-off prices even for off-peak times. A through train is a near certainty once you are on it, a connection is a risk until you have made it. A missed connection guarantees at least a one hour extension to your scheduled journey. The waiting facilities at Stafford are not exactly comfortable nor warm. New Street remains a thoroughly unpleasant dungeon for the rail user not experiencing the delights of the retail above. Once you are on your through train you can settle down and relax for the whole journey, not having to interrupt it to change trains.

It is a difficult one. You can't run more than 4-car round the "wobble", yet the services are heavily overcrowded so need to be 8, and Stafford I believe doesn't have the capacity for splitting/joining which would be the only other way to do it. There isn't really a nice answer. Though I am surprised they're going for two through Liverpools rather than once Liverpool and one either Crewe via wobble/Rugeley.

RealTrains07

Established Member
It is a difficult one. You can't run more than 4-car round the "wobble", yet the services are heavily overcrowded so need to be 8, and Stafford I believe doesn't have the capacity for splitting/joining which would be the only other way to do it. There isn't really a nice answer. Though I am surprised they're going for two through Liverpools rather than once Liverpool and one either Crewe via wobble/Rugeley.
It makes sense extending the 2nd of the liverpools to start from euston instead of Birmingham intl as like now

However having a london service for the wobble is just not viable anymore. So removing it in may will be a good decision going forward for now at least. I cant see a better option for a euston via wobble service until phase 1 of HS2 is done really till then commuters are just gonna have to put up with a euston connection at stafford

marks another milestone for the wobble though :lol:
May 2019 - final service via trent valley
May 2020 - final service to euston
May 2021 - ???

sufian123

It makes sense extending the 2nd of the liverpools to start from euston instead of Birmingham intl as like now

However having a london service for the wobble is just not viable anymore. So removing it in may will be a good decision going forward for now at least. I cant see a better option for a euston via wobble service until phase 1 of HS2 is done really till then commuters are just gonna have to put up with a euston connection at stafford

marks another milestone for the wobble though :lol:
May 2019 - final service via trent valley
May 2020 - final service to euston
May 2021 - ???

Euston-Crewe via wobble and bhm, from the start, but MPs pressure they kept it anyway. They going back to original plan for the Wooble.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Euston-Crewe via wobble and bhm, from the start, but MPs pressure they kept it anyway. They going back to original plan for the Wooble.
Iam confused? The original plan before MP involvement was for the wobble to have a service crewe - birmingham and back right? London was never in the plan

the only reason it was joined onto one of the london to Birmingham ones was after the protest against it.

this is the original plan just terminating at international instead to avoid wasting space at new street

sufian123

Iam confused? The original plan before MP involvement was for the wobble to have a service crewe - birmingham and back right? London was never in the plan

the only reason it was joined onto one of the london to Birmingham ones was after the protest against it.

this is the original plan just terminating at international instead to avoid wasting space at new street

basically north staffs had MPs involved to keep Euston services, but wmt didn’t want to at first, now they going back to their original plan. First plan was extension of a wolves local service, I like the idea of airport as well.

RealTrains07

Established Member
basically north staffs had MPs involved to keep Euston services, but wmt didn’t want to at first, now they going back to their original plan. First plan was extension of a wolves local service, I like the idea of airport as well.
Wolves being the service from wallsall right??

Status
Not open for further replies.