LNWR service from Liverpool to Birmingham and London.

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by fowler9, 4 Oct 2019.

1. Lozzy0603

Lozzy0603 Member

I'm not sure where the next section is but the North Wembley junction was in use, so that section was live. I believe dets were set South of the Harlesden Junction, but that doesnt mean the line wasn't isolated further up I suppose.
    The DF was back in service pretty soon after the broken train was cleared so I'm presuming that section was also energised. Only the UF remained blocked all day.
    I also really can't understand why LNWR service deteriorated so badly *after* the failed train was moved and the DF opened. They ran a reasonable service all through lunch whilst both fasts were blocked. A cover for further driver shortages?

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

LNR have been gobbing off about OHLE damage today when the reason for the emergency timetable is staff shortage, which is nobody's fault but their management's.

We thought Southern was bad - we didn't know what was coming. The Southern service is now the only vaguely reliable thing on the south WCML aside from VT, and that's got FirstGroup's grubby mitts on it within a month and a bit.

3. BucksBones

BucksBones Member

It's high time for political intervention but that can't happen now until we have a new government. I shudder to think what joys the Christmas period will bring for LNR's long suffering passengers.

4. Bletchleyite

It looks like there may have been a plan for VT to help out...see the attachment which shows a Tring stop cancelled.

Attached Files:

5. Bletchleyite

I could have sworn the 1840 MKC to North Wales yesterday also showed Atherstone on the PIS but didn't actually stop there.

6. Lozzy0603

Lozzy0603 Member

Great! Bring it on!
    Is it practical to have a 'by request only' stop at 125mph? I'd happily flag down a Pendolino, and pay a surplus to get to/from work on time. Perhaps some sort of buzzer and light system 2 miles out from each local station would suffice. Really, anything would be better than LNR at the moment.
    Perhaps slightly better: Could VT 'slip' the back two carriages of an 11 car Pendolino at Hemel and Tring, into the sidings? Very effective for the old sleepers on the Great Western. I think they might have some difficulty re-combining the EMU going southbound but I'm sure it could be worked out. 8-)

Last edited: 4 Nov 2019
  7. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Member

Another day out ruined today due to chaos on the WCML. I travelled today seeing as they'll be on strike (LNR) the rest of the year on Saturday.

If its not weather related its the track or signals.

8. sufian123

sufian123 Member

strike is from next Saturday 16th onwards. Today is signalling, VT are struggling as well. VT given more priority as well.

9. MalaiseForever

MalaiseForever Member

It’s a broken rail.

10. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Member

The whole line seems broken lately

11. Grumpy Git

Grumpy Git Member

FTFY.

12. ElectroSoldier

ElectroSoldier Member

I dont know what it is with these services.
    On Trasky a week or so ago I watched an LNwR service set off towards Crewe about 5 minutes late, a few miles up the line the signaller put a class 6 freight off Speke which slowed not only the class 9 LNwR service but two other class 1 passenger services behind it.
    By the time the LNwR service got to Crewe it was over an hour late and it terminated there.

Its not a usual situation I agree before somebody comes on and points that fact out. But it did happen and its that kind of thing thats happening to their services all the time so they are getting a frightful reputation.

13. Midmat

Midmat Member

So little information available on their website either to tell you what trains they are skip-stopping stations/turning short. So hard to plan what the best thing to do is during disruption.

14. Merle Haggard

Merle Haggard Member

Here's another example of incomprehensible regulation that delays LNR trains.
    On the 6th Nov, I caught the 09.52 LNR Northampton - Euston service.
    It left RT; it's booked F/L from Hanslope and was running on time there, so the late running Virgin 06.58 Lancaster -Euston (Pendo) was stopped there, and we crossed in front of it.
    Both the Lancaster and the LNR train call at MK, and this is where it got strange.
    The LNR was still R/T at MK, but it was looped into platform 5 (in effect, up/dn fast platform) and held until the Lancaster had called at Platform 4 (in effect the up fast platform) and departed. Of course, the Lancaster had to accelerate from a stand at Hanslope so it was further delayed in reaching MK.
    The result was that the LNR train running on time to MK was delayed by nearly 10 minutes, and the Lancaster, by being brought to a stand at Hanslope, by a further about 5.
    The LNR was given precedence at Hanslope; if it been allowed to depart from MK as booked, it obviously would carry on running R/T. It would have left MK about 5 minutes in front of the Lancaster - a reasonable margin.
    Alternatively, if the Lancaster had been allowed to 'run' at Hanslope, it would have delayed the LNR, but, as it was already at a stand when we passed it, I guess the delay to the LNR would have been slightand the Lanxaster woulkd not have been further delayed..
    Before I'm accused of using hindsight to suggest a better course of action, I'll point out that the on time LNR given precedence over late Virgin at Hanslope, then late Virgin given precedence over on time LNR at MK. Where's the logic? And, bearing in mind both locations are (I think) in the Rugby ROC area, with one regulator possibly making both decisions...