• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Local and P&CC elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Figured that this would come up sooner or later, so might as well start it now. (MOD NOTE: This thread is about the local and Police & Crime Commisioner elections, NOT the EU referendum (Covered here:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126375), OR the London mayoral elections (Partially covered here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=129557)
Who will you vote for? What do you think the outcome will be? (For me to answer those questions 1: I won't be voting because I'm too young, and 2: The best I have seen based on the outcome is the Sunday Politics. From which I am none the wiser.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
No local elections for me and I have no clue who is in the running for the Hampshire PCC at the moment.

Lankyline

No idea whose Lancashire's is and wouldn't vote for anyone anyway, the position, imo, is a complete waste of money that would be better spent on frontline services

crispy1978

Just the PCC elections for me. Tory, Labour, Lib Dems and IND standing in North Yorkshire. Coincidentally, my postal voting form arrived this morning.

I'll be honest, I don't know if I will vote, as I have no preference on any of the candidates.

Senex

Established Member
Just the PCC elections for me. Tory, Labour, Lib Dems and IND standing in North Yorkshire. Coincidentally, my postal voting form arrived this morning.

I'll be honest, I don't know if I will vote, as I have no preference on any of the candidates.
Likewise. I've not been impressed by Julia Mulligan, and I know nothing at all about any of the other three candidates.

pemma

Veteran Member
I'll be out of the country on election day so if my postal vote doesn't come before I go then I won't be voting.

Currently we have Conservative John Dwyer who doesn't like police cuts but is unwilling to challenge his own party policy of reducing policing budgets. For once the UKIP candidate has impressed me - he's said he'll do the job for £20k less than the current Conservative and put the surplus in to the policing budget. However, I think the Labour candidate is the strongest candidate and the most likely to topple the Conservative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I believe implicitly in voting, but not in the context of Police and Crime Commissioners, which serve no useful purpose imo, were not the result of public affirmation but a ploy by Theresa May to keep her hat in the ring for future Tory leader and have cost a fortune, particularly in Devon and Cornwall with expensive office moves and general empire building. I shall not be voting, unless I choose to 'spoil' my ballot paper.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I believe implicitly in voting, but not in the context of Police and Crime Commissioners, which serve no useful purpose imo, were not the result of public affirmation but a ploy by Theresa May to keep her hat in the ring for future Tory leader and have cost a fortune, particularly in Devon and Cornwall with expensive office moves and general empire building. I shall not be voting, unless I choose to 'spoil' my ballot paper.

The idea of elected Police and Crime Commissioners (I get to vote on who commissions crimes? Great!) is something I strongly disagree with, so unless I get a leaflet from a candidate whose main agenda is to satirise the whole process I'll be going up to Batley Town Hall to draw cartoon penises on my ballot paper.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well I voted in the P&CC election, although according to the ladies who had been sat in the village hall it's has been a slow day so I doubt the turnout will see an increase.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I voted at around 0845 this morning and was the fourth person at that station and my mother went in at around 1930 this evening and was the 77th. Make of that what you will!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Local, district and PCC election for me. Tory candidates voted for: 0

Although for the first time ever I voted for someone other than a labour candidate voting for the two local independent councilors who have done lots of good on really local issues in my area and deserve to carry on.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Both my picks for the PCC were for independent candidates (1st for the current PCC, 2nd for a retired copper). I think I was number 62 (at half six) [out of around 700 registered voters]

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Well Craig Martin gets my vote for Durham, he may be Lib Dem, but he was the ONLY politician who was willing to listen to and back the parents, staff and pupils when Nicky Morgan and Roberta Blackman-Woods chucked Durham Free School on the funeral pyre of political point scoring for election votes!

Sadly for Durham, the labour run county council have repeatedly proved to be too far up their own chocolate starfishes to give a damn what the people want (which to be fair to Roberta BW she's trying to keep them in check with limited success) so why would the county want a crime commissioner eating out the same trough of swill?

I voted at around 0845 this morning and was the fourth person at that station and my mother went in at around 1930 this evening and was the 77th. Make of that what you will!

Too many people are under the impression their vote won't make a cat in hell's difference, and can't be bothered with the kerfuffle....

Plus there hasn't been any public campaigning going on to encourage anyone to vote and who to vote for

My argument is, if you don't vote, the people you don't want in get in! If you don't want to vote, spoil the paper as it still gets counted!

Last edited:

Rapidash

PCC was the only election today, sent my votes to some indies, one of whom had actually been a plod.

We also had a referendum on our elected mayor, with the options being: carry on as is (elected) or return to the chosen-by-councillors with a cabinet system. Given how unpopular old Gordon has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see the post abolished.

SS4

Established Member
I cast my vote after work. Who I voted for is a secret but I don't think any of you will be surprised to learn I did not vote for the Tories.

ExRes

Established Member
If you voted in Devon & Cornwall for a highly experienced and former ground level policeman who happens to be standing as a UKIP candidate, does that make you a racist or someone who wants their choice to have an actual police background?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you voted in Devon & Cornwall for a highly experienced and former ground level policeman who happens to be standing as a UKIP candidate, does that make you a racist or someone who wants their choice to have an actual police background?

but does he need an "actual police background"? The PCC doesn't have any operation responsibility and sets the strategy and policing focus areas

SS4

Established Member

It makes the question loaded

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sadly for Durham, the labour run county council have repeatedly proved to be too far up their own chocolate starfishes to give a damn what the people want (which to be fair to Roberta BW she's trying to keep them in check with limited success) so why would the county want a crime commissioner eating out the same trough of swill?

They are miles better than they were - see Private Eye back issues

Too many people are under the impression their vote won't make a cat in hell's difference, and can't be bothered with the kerfuffle....

Plus there hasn't been any public campaigning going on to encourage anyone to vote and who to vote for

My argument is, if you don't vote, the people you don't want in get in! If you don't want to vote, spoil the paper as it still gets counted!

Exactly - if your library is closing and you don't like out kick out the people responsible and give someone else a go! If not shut up.

Rapidash

You had me panicking me then! Had to check the chap I'd voted for wasn't a kipper running in stealth mode!:lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
but does he need an "actual police background"? The PCC doesn't have any operation responsibility and sets the strategy and policing focus areas

I would far rather have someone competent with an enquiring mind, not afraid to ask awkward questions and not so 'establishment' as to be easily fobbed off. In other words, ex-policemen need not apply! I don't believe it was how Theresa May planned for these appointments to go, as she genuinely seemed to want a big shake-up amongst police chiefs, hence her appointment of a non-policeman in Tom Winsor as Chief Inspector of Constabulary, a 'first'. Very few of these commissioners seem to have had a good press, and some of them a very bad one indeed, with resignations. South Yorkshire should teach anyone who doesn't harbour ostrich tendencies that totally independent scrutiny is required.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
(Durham County Council) are miles better than they were.

Maybe they have, but many people in Easington, Spennymoor, Crook and Durham City don't feel it, but then again the area is full of staunch labour supporters with only Lib Dem any possibility of competing against labour, (and look what they did for the students, shot themselves in the foot there)

Last time Lib Dem won a Durham seat, (thanks to the very same students they pooped on later) the labour run council redrew the electorate map ousting Lib Dem from the Durham city wards (which also moved Spennymoor out of Blair's Sedgefield constituency and into Bish Vegas, thereby increasing Labours dominance!)

Last edited:

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I would far rather have someone competent with an enquiring mind, not afraid to ask awkward questions and not so 'establishment' as to be easily fobbed off. In other words, ex-policemen need not apply! I don't believe it was how Theresa May planned for these appointments to go, as she genuinely seemed to want a big shake-up amongst police chiefs, hence her appointment of a non-policeman in Tom Winsor as Chief Inspector of Constabulary, a 'first'. Very few of these commissioners seem to have had a good press, and some of them a very bad one indeed, with resignations. South Yorkshire should teach anyone who doesn't harbour ostrich tendencies that totally independent scrutiny is required.

I would expect South Yorkshire to have the highest turnout (maybe even topping 20%!).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Maybe they have, but many people in Easington, Spennymoor, Crook and Durham City don't feel it, but then again the area is full of staunch labour supporters with only Lib Dem any possibility of competing against labour, (and look what they did for the students, shot themselves in the foot there)

Last time Lib Dem won a Durham seat, (thanks to the very same students they pooped on later) the labour run council redrew the electorate map ousting Lib Dem from the Durham city wards (which also moved Spennymoor out of Blair's Sedgefield constituency and into Bish Vegas, thereby increasing Labours dominance!)

I know all of the places referred to well and via family have a good idea about Durham City and County Councils and their antics ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If there hadn't also been a council election in my ward, I might've sacked off the PCC elections and Sat in the sun for longer, but I did vote in the end. Although I'm a Labour party member I voted Greens for the council, as the handful of Green councillors in Kirklees have generally done good work. I hadn't done any research on the PCC candidates as my plan was to spoil my ballot paper... However the UKIP candidate had bothered to put out leaflets so I felt I should make my vote count against them. Labour 1st, Lib Dem 2nd. Only other options were Tory, UKIP or English Democrats so I really didn't feel I had a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.