• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Local currency: Lewes, Brixton, Stroud, Totnes, and now Bristol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
http://www.bristolpound.org/

I can't see the point of this. Their stated objectives are to ensure that money earned in these places stays in these places - but in practice all they do is provide a little gimmick for a limited number of locals who presumably never venture elsewhere. If anything these are more beneficial to tourists, because they can be kept as a momento - when such schemes aren't usually open to tourists as they are to locals. And if everywhere in the country started doing it, in time we would end up with either (a) billions down the drain as these things become useless or (b) a far weaker national economy as everything becomes localised again.

Thoughts? Does anyone actually believe this might work? At least Bristol is large enough to justify it, I suppose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
I think something similar has been going on in Cornwall for several years (primarily as a tax loophole)

Clip

Established Member
Im down Brixton quite a lot and I cannot remember ever seeing their currency being used over the counter. Seems a waste

4SRKT

Established Member
It's ludicrous. 'Our City, Our Money' says it all. Smallmindedness and an inability to understand how the economy actually works. OK Bristol, survive on 'your money'. Next time I'm there I'll buy everything I need somewhere else first with 'my money' (AKA Sterling) and make sure I don't spend a penny of it in your city. In fact I'll cart everything all the way from Bradford. [/sarcasm]

Status
Not open for further replies.