• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

local.live v Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gricer

Anyone who has been disappointed with the view of their area in Google Earth might like to try looking at the same area in local.live.com

Basingstoke for instance looks really naff in Google Earth but incredibly good in local.live

Another advantage is that there is no download required to use local.live

In certain areas you can do 'bird's eye views' like this one of Portsmouth Harbour station.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=sfzfyqgx6w87&style=o&lvl=1&scene=4336777

Frank

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jdjonnay

That's well good that is! The journey planner is a bit better than the RAC one too, which told me to get to birmingham I had to leave the M5 at Junction 8 - which is the south wales turning :s

Guinness

Established Member
Apparently Live isn't quite up to date. Some parts of the country have imagery over 5 years old. I agree it can be clearer though despite been slower.

Julian G

Established Member
Apparently Live isn't quite up to date. Some parts of the country have imagery over 5 years old. I agree it can be clearer though despite been slower.

maybe someone can find an 87 somewhere :happy11:

The Gricer

Don't know about 87s but if units are your thing then there are 12 of them in the view of Basingstoke station: 8 x 450s, 2 x 444s, a 165 and a Voyager.

Frank

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
its worse than google earth for me... doesn't zoom in quite as far over newport.... and the imagery is very outdated... it doesn't show my work place (it shows the building there before it) and that has been there since February 2001.

ChrisM

I prefer it to google earth as it's seems to cover the whole UK rather then just a few major cities,although it is well out of date it is still useful to me.
Used it the other day to find new photography locations within easy reach of stations and it worked a treat.

LondonBVE

Actually Google Earth also don't update much. Example My nearby junior colleage, Singapore Sports School and Polytechic should be done, but Google Earth still show as they are under construction. I update my google earth when ever i use. It still shows they are under construction.

metrocammel

Both seem to have pretty old shots. Piccadilly still shows a VWC DVT + mk3's, loads of mk2' & 3's on Longsight, class 101's at LO, plus 323's in GMPTE grey/red, making it at least 3 to 4 years ago. Also, where "Ardwick" depot now is, it just shows a green expanse of land (and there have been earthworks going on at the site for at least 4 years now).

theblackwatch

Established Member
Both seem to have pretty old shots. Piccadilly still shows a VWC DVT + mk3's, loads of mk2' & 3's on Longsight, class 101's at LO, plus 323's in GMPTE grey/red, making it at least 3 to 4 years ago. Also, where "Ardwick" depot now is, it just shows a green expanse of land (and there have been earthworks going on at the site for at least 4 years now).

And google earth shows one of my work colleagues old car parked outside her house - she swapped it around 3 years ago!!

chunx2005

local.live is much better for me. The pics must be 10 yeras old as mantle lane has some wagons in it!
it has Birds Eye view over Toton!!! :angel12: :queen: :happy10: :sign7:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For my area (York) there's absolutely no contest. Google Earth looks diabolical, while Local.live looks superb!

This seems to be the case in many other areas too, though there are the odd exception where Google Earth is better.

Google Earth is more convenient to use, and faster as it is a proper application; while Local.live only works through a web browser... if you got the best of both that would be even better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.