• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locating Pinch Points on the UK Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianQLove

As part of our research we are seeking a method of locationg the pinch points on the UK rail network. I see that there have been various threads in the past discussing the issue, but these have mainly thrown up suggestions for pinch points, rather seeking widespread analysis.

Can anyone suggest sources of data which would provide such information, please?

Thanks in advance for contributions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not sure anything will be out there in the wider domain as they only become pinch points based on timetable. Clearly anywhere where NR have declared "congested infrastructure" would tick the box such as Castlefield. Possibly NR route studies, but they may not have "data" as such.

NoRoute

Lot of reports on the Network Rail website about their route strategies, the route specifications have sections detailing the constraints on the various sections of the network:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'd say that Network Rail's Route Studies are a good place to start.

philthetube

Established Member
As part of our research we are seeking a method of locationg the pinch points on the UK rail network. I see that there have been various threads in the past discussing the issue, but these have mainly thrown up suggestions for pinch points, rather seeking widespread analysis.

Can anyone suggest sources of data which would provide such information, please?

can we ask who we are please?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If the UserID is genuine, the OP is a chartered architect and working with some business/transport consultancy called Connected Cities Ltd.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Wat are you researching, why and for whom? it may help deliver a better, more bespoke answer.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
If it is about "Connected Cities" (rather than "towns", "villages", "freight terminals", etc.) can we assume that this is about 'main lines'/junctions rather than (say) the Stourbridge Town branch or Felixstowe, which are arguably almost 100% 'full' during the daytime.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Welcome to the forum

DerekC

Established Member
I agree with @NoRoute that Network Rail's long term planning documents are a good place to start. However anyone trying to understand the limits to railway capacity needs to understand the principles of operational planning. The IRO runs an excellent weekend course on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.