• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locations of Permit To Travel Machines?

Tractor86

I am a collector of promise to pay ‘tickets’ from whichever station I visit but I have never seen a permit to travel machine. I know they are of little use now but do you know anywhere where one is still located?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

Millbrook (Hants) in Southampton had one a few years back. Guessing it's still there as the website still states that there are no ticket machines.

Aictos

Established Member
Watton at Stone used to have one as did Grange Park both in the Hertford Loop, believe Hertford North used to have one until they built the gateline and it was removed.

I've not had the need to travel to those stations so I can't say if said machines are still at the first two stations mentioned.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am a collector of promise to pay ‘tickets’ from whichever station I visit but I have never seen a permit to travel machine. I know they are of little use now but do you know anywhere where one is still located?
Have you seen the website dedicated to such machines - PERTIS Central?

There is a list of existing machines on their site with photos here: https://pert.is/Search/ALL

William3000

There is one (out of use) to the right of the ticket machine at Foxton station on the Cambridge line.

Attachments

• 85BF94F8-3C2F-41DA-911F-B42E5C971DF3.jpeg
    85BF94F8-3C2F-41DA-911F-B42E5C971DF3.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 245

denham

I should point out that this https://pert.is/Search/ALL website appears to now be very out of date now.

Every machine listed on that website at, Abellio Greater Anglia, East Midlands Railway, London North Western Railway, Southeastern, TFL Rail, West Midlands Railway, managed stations have now been removed as far as i am aware. None of these stations have them any more unfortunately. But there are still a few left at some other stations.

The only machines that i am aware of that they still exist at are at the following stations:

----

Old Style PERTIS machines (Metric AS88/AS89):

CHILTERN RAILWAYS:
• Denham Golf Club
• Kings Sutton
• Little Kimble
• Monks Risborough
• Northolt Park
• Saunderton
• South Ruislip
• Sudbury & Harrow Road
• Sudbury Hill Harrow

GREAT NORTHERN:
• Ashwell & Morden
• Foxton
• Meldreth
• Watton At Stone

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Windsor & Eton Central

SOUTHERN:
• Aldrington (P2)
• Bishopstone (entrance)
• Cheam (P2)
• Cooksbridge (P2)
• East Worthing (P2)
• Faygate (P2)
• Fishbourne (P2)
• Fishersgate (P2)
• Ford (P2)
• Glynde (P2)
• Holmwood (P2)
• Newhaven Harbour (P1)
• Newhaven Harbour (P2)
• Newhaven Town (P2)
• North Dulwich (entrance)
• Nutbourne (P1)
• Plumpton (P1)
• Portslade (P2)
• Salfords (P2)
• Southease (P1)
• Southease (P2)
• Warblington (P1)
• Warnham (P2)

THAMESLINK:
• Haydons Road
• Hendon
• Loughborough Junction
• Morden South
• South Merton
• St Helier
• Sutton Common
• West Sutton
• Wimbledon Chase

----

New Style PERTIS machines (Metric Aura):

SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Beaulieu Road
• Holton Heath
• Longcross
• Millbrook
• Redbridge

----

The five newer style (Metric Aura) ones normally work fine although maintenance has gone downhill since SWR took over from SWT though. But they are more reliable than the older AS88/AS89 types.

The old style (Metric Aura AS88/AS89) ones vary widely as to whether they work or not. All of the ones that i have listed above at Great Northern and Thameslink stations are definitely all broken and have been for a very long time. Your best option is to go to the Chiltern Railways or Southern Rail networks as these still have some working ones.

On the remaining working ones on the Chiltern Railways and Southern Rail networks it is down to pure luck as to whether or not the machine will be working. Whenever they run out of paper it normally takes at least a few months (sometimes even up to twelve months) to get it restocked. Whenever they develop any fault nobody bothers to fix them. They commonly develop coin jams as well. I know ones machine that has had a coin jam for twelve years and is still not fixed. Many machine are just switched off and electrically dead. These machines were installed in the 1980s so they are over thirty years old now and getting difficult to repair.

In regards to the Chiltern stations the ones at Sudbury & Harrow Road and Sudbury Hill Harrow have been broken for years so you will not get a tucket from these. While the ones at Northolt Park and South Ruislip also rarely work. The other ones have all worked at some point recently but whether they are working on the day you visit is down to luck.

In regards to the Southern stations the ones at Cheam and Holmwood and North Dulwich and Warnham have all been broken for over ten years so you will not get any ticket from these. The ones at Ashurst and Balcombe have been removed. All of the other Southern ones that are listed above have worked at some point within the last year or so but whether they will be working when you visit is simply down to luck. I would advise maybe spending a day travelling around to all the Southern ones and seeing how many you can get that are working.

I would say the Southern network is the best to try as they have the largest amount and the largest amount of working ones. Although even on a good day i do not think any more than half will be working. So you just have to have patience and go around to different stations until you find working ones.

Also be aware that these machines do not accept the new style 5p and 10p coins (from 2008 or newer) or the new twelve sided £1 coin either. So make sure to have old style 5p and 10p coins (from 2007 or older) or old round £1 coins or any 20p 50p £2 coins in order to use the machine. Also the 1p and 2p coins do not work in them either.

There was once over 1000 of these machines and they could be found at almost every single Network South East station and beyond. But sadly there are less and less every year. I imagine it will not be long before they are all gone.

Good luck with finding some working machines to get some tickets from.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
There is one (out of use) to the right of the ticket machine at Foxton station on the Cambridge line.
I came here to say this! I'm not sure how recently it went out of use...

https://pert.is/Search/Machine/121

I should point out that this https://pert.is/Search/ALL website appears to now be very out of date now.

Every machine listed on that website at, Abellio Greater Anglia, East Midlands Railway, London North Western Railway, Southeastern, TFL Rail, West Midlands Railway, managed stations have now been removed as far as i am aware. None of these stations have them any more unfortunately. But there are still a few left at some other stations.

The only machines that i am aware of that they still exist at are at the following stations:

----

CHILTERN RAILWAYS:
• Denham Golf Club
• Kings Sutton
• Little Kimble
• Monks Risborough
• Northolt Park
• Saunderton
• South Ruislip
• Sudbury & Harrow Road
• Sudbury Hill Harrow

GREAT NORTHERN:
• Ashwell & Morden
• Foxton
• Meldreth
• Watton At Stone

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Windsor & Eton Central

SOUTHERN:
• Aldrington (P2)
• Bishopstone (entrance)
• Cheam (P2)
• Cooksbridge (P2)
• East Worthing (P2)
• Faygate (P2)
• Fishbourne (P2)
• Fishersgate (P2)
• Ford (P2)
• Glynde (P2)
• Holmwood (P2)
• Newhaven Harbour (P1)
• Newhaven Harbour (P2)
• Newhaven Town (P2)
• Nutbourne (P1)
• Plumpton (P1)
• Portslade (P2)
• Salfords (P2)
• Southease (P1)
• Southease (P2)
• Warblington (P1)
• Warnham (P2)

THAMESLINK:
• Haydons Road
• Hendon
• Loughborough Junction
• Morden South
• South Merton
• St Helier
• Sutton Common
• West Sutton
• Wimbledon Chase

----

SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Beaulieu Road
• Holton Heath
• Longcross
• Millbrook
• Redbridge

----

The five newer style (Metric Aura) ones normally work fine although maintenance has gone downhill since SWR took over from SWT though. But they are more reliable than the older AS88/AS89 types.

The old style (Metric Aura AS88/AS89) ones vary widely as to whether they work or not. All of the ones that i have listed above at Great Northern and Thameslink stations are definitely all broken and have been for a very long time. Your best option is to go to the Chiltern Railways or Southern Rail networks as these still have some working ones.

On the remaining working ones on the Chiltern Railways and Southern Rail networks it is down to pure luck as to whether or not the machine will be working. Whenever they run out of paper it normally takes at least a few months (sometimes even up to twelve months) to get it restocked. Whenever they develop any fault nobody bothers to fix them. They commonly develop coin jams as well. I know ones machine that has had a coin jam for twelve years and is still not fixed. Many machine are just switched off and electrically dead. These machines were installed in the 1980s so they are over thirty years old now and getting difficult to repair.

In regards to the Chiltern stations the ones at Sudbury & Harrow Road and Sudbury Hill Harrow have been broken for years so you will not get a tucket from these. While the ones at Northolt Park and South Ruislip also rarely work. The other ones have all worked at some point recently but whether they are working on the day you visit is down to luck.

In regards to the Southern stations the ones at Cheam and Holmwood and North Dulwich and Warnham have all been broken for over ten years so you will not get any ticket from these. The ones at Ashurst and Balcombe have been removed. All of the other Southern ones that are listed above have worked at some point within the last year or so but whether they will be working when you visit is simply down to luck. I would advise maybe spending a day travelling around to all the Southern ones and seeing how many you can get that are working.

I would say the Southern network is the best to try as they have the largest amount and the largest amount of working ones. Although even on a good day i do not think any more than half will be working. So you just have to have patience and go around to different stations until you find working ones.

Also be aware that these machines do not accept the new style 5p and 10p coins (from 2008 or newer) or the new twelve sided £1 coin either. So make sure to have old style 5p and 10p coins (from 2007 or older) or old round £1 coins or any 20p 50p £2 coins in order to use the machine. Also the 1p and 2p coins do not work in them either.

There was once over 1000 of these machines and they could be found at almost every single Network South East station and beyond. But sadly there are less and less every year. I imagine it will not be long before they are all gone.

I think this post trumps anything anyone else posts! Great post!

Tractor86

----

CHILTERN RAILWAYS:
• Denham Golf Club
• Kings Sutton
• Little Kimble
• Monks Risborough
• Northolt Park
• Saunderton
• South Ruislip
• Sudbury & Harrow Road
• Sudbury Hill Harrow

GREAT NORTHERN:
• Ashwell & Morden
• Foxton
• Meldreth
• Watton At Stone

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Windsor & Eton Central

SOUTHERN:
• Aldrington (P2)
• Bishopstone (entrance)
• Cheam (P2)
• Cooksbridge (P2)
• East Worthing (P2)
• Faygate (P2)
• Fishbourne (P2)
• Fishersgate (P2)
• Ford (P2)
• Glynde (P2)
• Holmwood (P2)
• Newhaven Harbour (P1)
• Newhaven Harbour (P2)
• Newhaven Town (P2)
• Nutbourne (P1)
• Plumpton (P1)
• Portslade (P2)
• Salfords (P2)
• Southease (P1)
• Southease (P2)
• Warblington (P1)
• Warnham (P2)

THAMESLINK:
• Haydons Road
• Hendon
• Loughborough Junction
• Morden South
• South Merton
• St Helier
• Sutton Common
• West Sutton
• Wimbledon Chase

----

SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Beaulieu Road
• Holton Heath
• Longcross
• Millbrook
• Redbridge

----

Thank you for this! Extremely helpful.

----

CHILTERN RAILWAYS:
• Denham Golf Club
• Kings Sutton
• Little Kimble
• Monks Risborough
• Northolt Park
• Saunderton
• South Ruislip
• Sudbury & Harrow Road
• Sudbury Hill Harrow

GREAT NORTHERN:
• Ashwell & Morden
• Foxton
• Meldreth
• Watton At Stone

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Windsor & Eton Central

SOUTHERN:
• Aldrington (P2)
• Bishopstone (entrance)
• Cheam (P2)
• Cooksbridge (P2)
• East Worthing (P2)
• Faygate (P2)
• Fishbourne (P2)
• Fishersgate (P2)
• Ford (P2)
• Glynde (P2)
• Holmwood (P2)
• Newhaven Harbour (P1)
• Newhaven Harbour (P2)
• Newhaven Town (P2)
• Nutbourne (P1)
• Plumpton (P1)
• Portslade (P2)
• Salfords (P2)
• Southease (P1)
• Southease (P2)
• Warblington (P1)
• Warnham (P2)

THAMESLINK:
• Haydons Road
• Hendon
• Loughborough Junction
• Morden South
• South Merton
• St Helier
• Sutton Common
• West Sutton
• Wimbledon Chase

----

SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY:
• Beaulieu Road
• Holton Heath
• Longcross
• Millbrook
• Redbridge

----
Meldreth and Ashwell and Morden are gone. Tried the Sutton loop just before COVID and none were in use, haven't been there since. I don't recall there being one at Ford when I last visited, but I'm not certain of whether it is gone. Windsor and Eton Central was there at the end of June, just the long ticket office opening times that is the problem there.

KT550

I visited Holmwood and Warnham stations today and can confirm both still have machines.

The Warnham machine had power connected and the clock was running 8 minutes slow, so I chanced a 5p coin but got nothing in return, not even my money back.
20210813_Holmwood.jpg20210813_Warnham.jpg

KT550

Longcross machine in working order today

Attachments

• 20210821_170832.jpg
    20210821_170832.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 20210821_170845.jpg
    20210821_170845.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 20210821_233150.jpg
    20210821_233150.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 242
I visited Holmwood and Warnham stations today and can confirm both still have machines.

The Warnham machine had power connected and the clock was running 8 minutes slow, so I chanced a 5p coin but got nothing in return, not even my money back.
View attachment 101093View attachment 101096
Those two machines have both been broken for over a decade. Someone else in a post above also mentioned this. To be honest i think that nobody bothers to repair these machines any more as they are so old and rarely used these days.

Chriso

South Ruislip beyond the barriers on the underpass has one but the button is now missing making the machine oou. I think they gave up once the new touch screen machine went in next to it. The two Sudbury stations have them but not sure if still operational as they also have no ticket machine just oyster pads. Denham Golf Club, Saunderton, kings Sutton and Hatton also had them when I passed through recently again unaware if still in use

Rand.

As previous comment by Exile, there is one at Redbridge, Southampton. I used it a few months ago, surprised to find it operational as not seen one for years.
Put about 30p in it. The guard was completely taken by surprise, couldn't work out how to reduce my ticket to Sholing by that amount as he had forgotten how and the last time somebody used a permit machine.

KT550

Mistley, Essex
still has an inactive machine.

Attachments

• 20210828_124856.jpg
    20210828_124856.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
As previous comment by Exile, there is one at Redbridge, Southampton. I used it a few months ago, surprised to find it operational as not seen one for years.
Put about 30p in it. The guard was completely taken by surprise, couldn't work out how to reduce my ticket to Sholing by that amount as he had forgotten how and the last time somebody used a permit machine.
Seeing how little of them are left i think most Guards have completely forgotten about these. I think some of the newer Guards are not even trained about these. From my experience Guards seem to much prefer if you just board without any ticket or Permit To Travel and just buy onboard rather than having to deal with these Permit To Travel tickets.

XAM2175

Established Member
From my experience Guards seem to much prefer if you just board without any ticket or Permit To Travel and just buy onboard rather than having to deal with these Permit To Travel tickets.
I'd be more concerned about the opinion of revenue inspectors, myself!