Lochmaben a layout in 7mm 31.5 gauge

HSP 2

On Moderation
This layout has been in our heads for about 4 or more years, we have now made a start on the thing.
The station is on the line between Dumfries and Lockerbie, but it was closed in about 1966, a bit of a problem as we want to model it in the 1980
The yellow line is what we would like to model, this would take approx. 18'. But as the layout is going to about 18' 6" in diameter we cant do that.
Lochmaben Copy (2) of Map 3.png

The track is all going to be built to 31.5mm gauge.

If anyone can help with any phots please post onto this thread.

Due to the lock down it has taken us a bit longer to get started on this project. The first job was to make this, the template for all of the baseboards, using a bit of maths and some old school boy (girl) logic we ended up with this. Why did we spend time making this? You may well ask.
1627372673614.png

This is the reason. All twelve of the baseboard tops (or bottoms) cut out. Someone wants to put wires on this already (so we may have to make some more front boards to fit the fiddle yard boards) . What's up with blue diesels? Apart from it's not steam and in the 1960s!!!

I'm glad that it's Charles that's in the middle of the layout and not me to give some idea of size . Some parts for some of our other layout can be seen in this photo, along with some old git trying not to be in the photo.
1627372963753.png

The start of the first drop board (why start with something simple) this is just the first of three, all of the rest should be simple? More bits of layouts in the background.

The above photo is showing what we have started as standard the leg sockets, we have four of them on all of our baseboards but only use two of them on most boards (apart from the first board). This board is odd in that it can have two lengths of leg , the normal length at the R/H side or the short ones at the L/H side. A lot of this is due to how we can set up at exhibitions. We did learn a long time back .

The first BB taking shape, this end will join onto the fiddle yard. We normally use clamps to join the BBs together but we're trying tee nuts and bolts on this layout (less to carry about).
1627373080091.png

1627373149146.png

No the mice have not got to the BBs the holes are for the kettle connectors (DDC power feeds J & K) they can also be used for the 240v ring main.
The same board from the other end, just two more of these to do and then it's onto mass production of the nine main boards.
1627373247729.png
1627373361624.png
1627373409298.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
This all looks interesting - thanks for sharing. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a circular layout (I mean that in terms of the boards being completely circular, not in terms of a round-and-round layout) before, so this is going to be one to follow.
A quick search online says that 31.5mm gauge is pretty much O gauge - I don't think we've had many O gauge layouts on this forum before!

-Peter

EDIT: Just noticed the thread title says it's 7mm gauge anyway - no need for my detective skills ;)

HSP 2

On Moderation
EDIT: Just noticed the thread title says it's 7mm gauge anyway - no need for my detective skills ;)
Peter.

It's 7mm scale and 31.5 gauge. As it's group layout we wanted to be able to run RTR and kit built stock, but we also wanted more accurate looking point work mostly around the vee and the checkrails. You will see more as the layout progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter C

Established Member
Peter.

It's 7mm scale and 31.5 gauge. As it's group layout we wanted to be able to run RTR and kit built stock, but we also wanted more accurate looking point work mostly around the vee and the checkrails. You will see more as the layout progresses.
Sounds interesting. Being able to run RTR and kit-built stuff should allow for fun operations!

-Peter

Huntergreed

Established Member
Fantastic! Dumfries resident and travelled through Lochmaben many times, so very much looking forward to seeing this progress!

Cowley

Established Member
Associate Staff
General Discussion
Railtours & Preservation
Modelling & Games
This looks really interesting and I’ll be following the progress closely. Those baseboards look great by the way.
I like the fact that you’re striving to go a bit further than is the easy option with the trackwork etc. Good stuff.

HSP 2

On Moderation
Hello all,

For anyone that has forgot BBs are base boards.

More photos of the BB's. The second of the drop boards in place we still have to put the pattern makers dowels in place as the bolts are only used for bolting the boards together.
1631432682646.png
The track bed is wide enough for two tracks, as the head shunt should go on for some length. But to have done that we would have not been able to, A) be able to put it up in the club rooms, and B) it would not fit in the van. As it is we may have to take a car with us to get the stock in and the other two operators. The van normal takes 5 but we're having to take a row of seats out.
1631457786655.png
1631457955760.png
At this end of the BB I did make a foo pare in that I forgot to move the bolt holes up by 1/4" not that much of a problem but it's one of them things that can happen when your making your BBs upside down.

1631458108930.png
1631458194680.png

Well tonight we got the last of the three drop boards finished and bolted to the other two. The paper that you can see on this end of the BB is for one of the points in to the station yard. When we start laying track this point will be at the far end of these boards.
1631458708199.png
The inside circumference of each board is approx. 42" and the outside circumference is approx. 58". So using a bit more maths we get the following sizes, inside Dia. 13.369', and the outside Dia. 18.462' Dia..
1631458903032.png
1631459388504.png
I may get a talking to on Monday night by these two, as they don't like been photo'd.

The next job is to mass produce the normal boards, that could take a few club nights to do and I'm sure that you wont want to see nine BB that are all the same being made.

Stay safe,

HSP 2

On Moderation
the mad man's back, well we got up to the club last some of us at least (due to the rule of six). So what did we do, the first thing was to have a bit of a clean up (how is it that the club has been closed since before Christmas but boxes turn up in the middle of the floor?). So we then erected the full layout for the first time,
1631545667137.png
Rick is working on the laser level tripod, Kev and me had a go at getting a sort of level layout using a spirit level. The floor is any thing but flat due to all of the old internal walls having been removed.

1631545780519.png
From the other side of the layout. This is going to be the head shunt end of the layout on the right leading on to the station. on the left is going to be the single line entrance to the fiddle yard.
1631545841466.png
1631545923850.png

Ian then had a play with the tripod to try and get a panorama shot or two of the layout, so we now have a straight layout and a very odd shaped clubroom. It's an odd shape to start with but it looks odder now.

Well the rue of six is still with us but we are trying to get on with the layout. Over the last couple of weeks Ian has knocked out a new Templot plan for the front of the layout, this was due to finding out that we had a point tie bar over a large cross beam. He also did some other work on parts that we weren't too keen on.
The first job was to get some of the 3mm thick cork tiles down for the track bed (I thought that watching paint dry was a boring sport, but watching glue dry beats it hands down).
The next club night Kev and me started getting some of the Templot plans down. Then Kev went onto the next station board so I decided to start gluing sleeper down, just to see how it would look.
The next club night was much the same, more cork, more Templot and more sleepers. We now reckon that we have the way to do it!
So a photo showing the start of the first station board from the fiddle yard end, this joint will be covered by a road over bridge, a handy way to hide the way we are going to fix the rails at this end.
1631546223051.png

The next photo is just showing the next station board going on to the fiddle yard. With the Templot plans just laid in place. While all of this has been going on Rick has been working on the Templot plans for the fiddle yard, at the other end.
Go on which cup is mine?
1631546342678.png

I would like to thank Martin Wynne for Templot and its free use for all us track modelers.

More to follow soon.

Peter C

Established Member
Looks interesting - very nice to see the group of you working on it. Baseboard building is a simple thing really (although that doesn't mean your work is worth any less!), but never having done it like that, I find it amazing.

-Peter

HSP 2

On Moderation
Looks interesting - very nice to see the group of you working on it. Baseboard building is a simple thing really (although that doesn't mean your work is worth any less!), but never having done it like that, I find it amazing.

-Peter
Peter,

would you please explain by what I have put in bold.

TIA

HSP 2

On Moderation
Most of the boards are made from 9mm ply, apart from the ends that are 12mm ply. A lot of the strength comes from the solid base or top, We may look at adding some diagonal cross members to stop the boards racking. The wood that you can see is just to add more gluing area to the joints, in the photo of the BB that's upside down you can see a box with a square hole this is for one of the legs to fit in.

Peter C

Established Member
Most of the boards are made from 9mm ply, apart from the ends that are 12mm ply. A lot of the strength comes from the solid base or top, We may look at adding some diagonal cross members to stop the boards racking. The wood that you can see is just to add more gluing area to the joints, in the photo of the BB that's upside down you can see a box with a square hole this is for one of the legs to fit in.
Ah OK. I've always wondered why so many layouts seem to spend a lot of time at the bare-baseboard stage, but I suppose it's better to spend a while making things properly once than making things quickly and then fixing them for months or years after!

-Peter

HSP 2

On Moderation
It's a private layout being built by about five of us, but it will be used as an exhibition layout with an exhibition life of 15 - 20 years depending on how many of us are still alive.

A fiddle yard that was built over 25 years ago is still in use for its fourth layout front.

Last edited by a moderator: