• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco Haulage Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
91 sets arn't that bad on the passenger side of view. You honestly keep saying "I don't know anyone who would actually go on..." But people do. And how else can you get on a mallard set without a 91?

You keep praising inferior stock, so I'll do just that myself...

Not that bad for passengers? How? Uncomfortable pieces of junk...I'd rather sit on a seat in 53203 (one of the Solos on the 398 Glasgow Central - Queen Street link) than a Mallard seat. Fact.

class 313

Established Member
You keep praising inferior stock, so I'll do just that myself...

Not that bad for passengers? How? Uncomfortable pieces of junk...I'd rather sit on a seat in 53203 (one of the Solos on the 398 Glasgow Central - Queen Street link) than a Mallard seat. Fact.

You obviously havn't tried any stock that has ironing board seats at 90 degrees with hardly any padding. I call these things, Desiro seating!

David

Established Member
You obviously havn't tried any stock that has ironing board seats at 90 degrees with hardly any padding. I call these things, Desiro seating!

Sounds just like the seats on Mallards....

Besides, have you had a journey on a 185? They are a Desiro, yet they have very comfy seats with plenty of room.

In relation to your other point, I can say, yes he has had a journey on a 450, and the seats are a lot better than a Mallard set, or a Sprinter for that matter.

class 313

Established Member
Sounds just like the seats on Mallards....

Besides, have you had a journey on a 185? They are a Desiro, yet they have very comfy seats with plenty of room.

In relation to your other point, I can say, yes he has had a journey on a 450, and the seats are a lot better than a Mallard set, or a Sprinter for that matter.

I found mallard sets to be better than 350/450s IMO.

David

Established Member
I found mallard sets to be better than 350/450s IMO.

Fair enough. We will have to agree to dis-agree on that matter. 350s and 450s are suburban type units and the seating reflects that. Mallard sets are intercity trains, yet the seating is not very comfortable at all, and there isn't much room either.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
*Bows to the almighty Dave*

Totally agree there.

Yes, I just remembered how Dave knows I've been on a Desiro, suddenly remembered that we both had a Desiro from Clapham Junction to Waterloo a fair while ago. That seems a long time ago...

Desiros are still superior to Mallards, that much I will not back down from.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ROFL if you want, I'm deadly serious...I'd rather sit in a 450 than a Mallard. In fact, the amount of stuff I'd rather ride in than a Mallard is considerable

class 313

Established Member
ROFL if you want, I'm deadly serious...I'd rather sit in a 450 than a Mallard. In fact, the amount of stuff I'd rather ride in than a Mallard is considerable

So, 3+2 seating. Thinner and harder seats, dodgy 90 degrees angle seating, metro style environment?

3 words

You Have Issues

T

Tom

I agree with Julian - if Desiro's had wifi I'd far rather to sit in a 450 than a Mallard TBH. Wi-fi is the only persuading factor for me - the secondmans seat is worse on a 444 than a 450 standard seat!!

David

Established Member
So, 3+2 seating. Thinner and harder seats, dodgy 90 degrees angle seating, metro style environment?

3 words

You Have Issues

Tom, what is your problem? I have made my opinion known, you have made your opinion known, and Julian has made his opinion known. Yet for whatever reason, you can not accept Julian's oppinion, and are trying to belittle over it. Accept that Julian doesn't like Mallard sets with trying to force your opinion on him, and for god's sake, grow up.

RJ

Established Member
I wouldn't bother David. What they need to do is legalise lobotomy for these special cases.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wouldn't bother David. What they need to do is legalise lobotomy for these special cases.

I personally think Mallards are fine (I wouldn't want a 350 from Glasgow to London) but with the way things are going with the size of a large proportion of children born post 1991, I don't think the legroom issues will be a problem.

Jim

Established Member
I hate 377 seating, both 3+2 and 2+2, it is dreafully uncomfy!

I prefer 450's to 444's for some reason (seating wise) but prefer Mallards to FGW refurbs

class 313

Established Member
I hate 377 seating, both 3+2 and 2+2, it is dreafully uncomfy!

I prefer 450's to 444's for some reason (seating wise) but prefer Mallards to FGW refurbs

377s have better seats at each end of the train, ex first class seats. But some 377s have 2+2 seating which beats 3+2 for space.

Mintona

Established Member
I must say, even though I have only ever once got a seat on a Mallard (in 4 journeys!) I found it very comfortable, and for once, I had legroom unlike on other IC trains (cough221cough.)

I have never travelled on a 444 or 450; however, i think that 350s are superb units.

Daniel

Established Member
I have never travelled on a 444 or 450; however, i think that 350s are superb units.

450s and 350s are extremely similar in design and seat quality, (although there are some differences such as 2+2 seating on 350s vs 3+2 on 450s), so you could choose to base your opinion of them on that journey.

Birdbrain

Some 377's have good seats. I don't mind desiro seats as far as modern trains go but i'd always prefer the seats of a 442 or a SWT 158/9

Daniel

Established Member
Yes I quite like them, too. Can easily handle the journey from Euston, (non-stop to Rugby), through to Rugeley Trent Valley.... and back.
Much more suited, I feel, to longer journeys, as they do have "proper" tables, when compared to the Class 321s, (with no corridor connection or large tables, excluding First Class).

Established Member
Still prefer 321s though! As you can slouch on the old BR seats

Only 2 years left over here, better start getting your mileage moves in!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

350s are good units as long as they are not wedged, but thats the same with most stuff i suppose, I'm looking forward to regular Euston-Crewe semi's which should have great pendo-avoidance potential if someone bothers to take connections into consideration when timing said trains. I will live in hope!

class 313

Established Member
Only 2 years left over here, better start getting your mileage moves in!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

350s are good units as long as they are not wedged, but thats the same with most stuff i suppose, I'm looking forward to regular Euston-Crewe semi's which should have great pendo-avoidance potential if someone bothers to take connections into consideration when timing said trains. I will live in hope!

Well 319s will replaced when Thameslink 2000 comes into place, but I bet I have more mileage on 319s than all of you put together =D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hold on, you're bragging that you've more miles on 319s than anyone else? Have you seen everyone's 319 mileages? No? Thought not.

Not that I'd want to force myself onto a 319 just for mileage. That was, is and always will be a dreadful (literally) idea. Why bore yourself to death doing mileage moves on EMUs? There's no noise, no clag, no real thrash at all...Besides, there's no extremely long routes to bash on 319s anyway, so to notch up massive numbers you'd be forced to do lots of Bedford - Brighton and vice versa moves...

How about this instead:

Instead of doing 319s, you get to somewhere half decent and do something altogether more interesting. I'm not thinking of doing railtours for now, as it needs to be on the mainline regularly. So what might I be thinking of that's so interesting compared to 319s? How about this lot:

180s
220s
221s
222s
91s
390s
HSTs
165s
166s
168s
377s
444s
450s

...and that's just some of the stuff that comes to mind that goes around London...None of this 319 BS, onto something half-decent. Yes, a 390 is far more Rateable than a 319!

You think you're so high and mighty because you do 319s. I know no-one on Earth who'd WANT to admit to having more than a handful of last-train-home miles on 319s.

But I suppose I should really let you froth on about 319s, bragging about miles had on them. I'll continue to brag my mileage on 40145 and HSTs. At least I can brag about something people like!

class 313

Established Member
Hold on, you're bragging that you've more miles on 319s than anyone else? Have you seen everyone's 319 mileages? No? Thought not.

Not that I'd want to force myself onto a 319 just for mileage. That was, is and always will be a dreadful (literally) idea. Why bore yourself to death doing mileage moves on EMUs? There's no noise, no clag, no real thrash at all...Besides, there's no extremely long routes to bash on 319s anyway, so to notch up massive numbers you'd be forced to do lots of Bedford - Brighton and vice versa moves...

How about this instead:

Instead of doing 319s, you get to somewhere half decent and do something altogether more interesting. I'm not thinking of doing railtours for now, as it needs to be on the mainline regularly. So what might I be thinking of that's so interesting compared to 319s? How about this lot:

180s
220s
221s
222s
91s
390s
HSTs
165s
166s
168s
377s
444s
450s

...and that's just some of the stuff that comes to mind that goes around London...None of this 319 BS, onto something half-decent. Yes, a 390 is far more Rateable than a 319!

You think you're so high and mighty because you do 319s. I know no-one on Earth who'd WANT to admit to having more than a handful of last-train-home miles on 319s.

But I suppose I should really let you froth on about 319s, bragging about miles had on them. I'll continue to brag my mileage on 40145 and HSTs. At least I can brag about something people like!

You really do make me laugh!!!

PMSL! Is all my reply!

And one last thing, you think you're high and mighty cos of bashing hsts yeah? Don't say you don't cos we have all seen the rancid video of you "I spit on GNER veg" I mean WTF. I spit on you sir! Yes you.

Status
Not open for further replies.