• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco-hauled MK3 set in Blue & Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
A while back one of the railway magazines reported that a full set of loco-hauled Mk3s were being returned to BR Blue/Grey livery. I believe, tho I'm not sure, that the intention was for them to be hired out for railtours/charters etc

Since I saw that article I've seen one photo of a DCR 31 hauling a single coach but other than that have heard and seen nothing about it.

Does anyone know what's happened to this set and the project, and what the plan was?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
A while back one of the railway magazines reported that a full set of loco-hauled Mk3s were being returned to BR Blue/Grey livery. I believe, tho I'm not sure, that the intention was for them to be hired out for railtours/charters etc

Since I saw that article I've seen one photo of a DCR 31 hauling a single coach but other than that have heard and seen nothing about it.

Does anyone know what's happened to this set and the project, and what the plan was?

Cheers

Cargo D were bringing some coaches into the rail charter market. As far as I know only one charter ran, with many others cancelled due to a vehicle awaiting repairs. The company went into administration some time ago (three years??).

The coaches have been seen in use with Hull Trains (with a repainted BR blue Mk3 DVT and a BR blue 86), and most recently with Chiltern Trains in the 'Banbury set' (and for WSMR before them). ISTR Virgin used some for a while too.

I don't know who owns what of the coaches now, but some are still in BR blue/grey.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There were several charters that run with Cargo-D set which was a mixture of mark 2s and mark 3s plus mark 1 catering vehicles.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The company went into administration some time ago (three years??).
Yep, August 2011 I believe.

'Inflatable Ingrid*' was full of hot air and was claiming everything was normal and denying there were problems, even when many people knew all was not well. She then disappeared to Belgium, though she's apparently back now, I wouldn't trust anything she's involved in though! I think some people may have struggled to get money back from bookings, not sure what happened in the end.

Basically Mark Honey was the real brains behind Cargo-D, and without him, 'Inflatable Ingrid' and co were absolutely clueless, so it was simply a matter of time before they inevitably went into administration and was of no surprise when it happened.

(* a reference from Red Dwarf, if you're wondering!)

alexl92

Established Member
It ran with an 86 and a BR Blue Mk3 DVT? Are there any pictures of that online? Sounds like a great 'What if...'!

Status
Not open for further replies.