• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco Hauled Services in 2021 (Hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Loco Hauled service that ran on part of the Settle - Carlisle line may be running this year? (I think that train was featured on one of the recent TV programmes with Joanna Lumley.)

Do the loco hauled trains still run on the Cumbrian Coast line too, or have they now stopped?

Finally, are the loco hauled trains still running as mentioned in another thread on this website by Chiltern to Birmingham. I hope to travel on some of these as soon as travel restrictions for the UK ease at the end of March-April, all being well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

The only timetabled loco-hauled trains (if you don't count HSTs) in this country now are:
  • The sleeper trains - Caledonian from London to various destinations in Scotland (Classes 92 and 73/9) and Night Riviera from London to Penzance (Class 57)
  • Chiltern's four MK3a sets running London-Birmingham/Oxford - Class 68
  • Transpennine Express Mk5a sets (few sets in use at the moment - intended to be Liverpool-Scarborough/Middlesbrough, but the few in use are mostly operating York-Scarborough shuttles) - Class 68
  • TfW Mk4 sets to run Cardiff-Holyhead, but not currently running - Class 67
  • LNER's remaining Mk4 sets - but these are out of use at the moment - Class 91
I haven't seen any announcement about whether the Skipton-Appleby trains will be running this summer, although there has been a rumour that they will use an HST this year.

The Cumbrian coast (Class 37), Fife Circle (Class 68) and GEML (Class 90) are no longer loco-hauled.

Last edited:

Staycation Express is Back

So according to the above link it will be back this year.

Welcome
We have exciting plans for 2021 including an expanded route, new livery and new on-board services

Be the first to find out about our plans by registering below

Click to register for special fares on the all new Staycation Express, coming to England’s most scenic line in 2021!

Of course the Rolling stock is anybody's guess we know that LSL have enough HST components to make up a short HST set besides the Blue Pullman, which given the so called boring traction seemed to get replaced by less boring traction frequently might be the better option.

Last edited by a moderator:

The TPE sets only run York to Scarborough shuttles on Sundays presently.

Monday to Saturday its:
1)
Manchester Victoria - Liverpool
Liverpool - Scarborough
Sits spare at Scarborough several hours
Scarborough - Manchester Victoria
Manchester Victoria - Scarborough

2)
Scarborough - Manchester Victoria
ECS to Longsight for several hours
Manchester Victoria - Scarborough
Scarborough - Manchester Airport

Full start and finish timings available on the diagrams section of this website.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Great, many thanks for all these replies. (I am just as happy with a 125 on the SCR, I will check Chiltern's website in a few weeks for the Birmingham services which are reduced at the moment.

Iskra

Established Member
The only timetabled loco-hauled trains (if you don't count HSTs) in this country now are:
  • The sleeper trains - Caledonian from London to various destinations in Scotland (Classes 92 and 73/9) and Night Riviera from London to Penzance (Class 57)
  • Chiltern's four MK3a sets running London-Birmingham/Oxford - Class 68
  • Transpennine Express Mk5a sets (few sets in use at the moment - intended to be Liverpool-Scarborough/Middlesbrough, but the few in use are mostly operating York-Scarborough shuttles) - Class 68
  • TfW Mk4 sets to run Cardiff-Holyhead, but not currently running - Class 67
  • LNER's remaining Mk4 sets - but these are out of use at the moment - Class 91
I haven't seen any announcement about whether the Skipton-Appleby trains will be running this summer, although there has been a rumour that they will use an HST this year.

The Cumbrian coast (Class 37), Fife Circle (Class 68) and GEML (Class 90) are no longer loco-hauled.
Have the TFW Manchester-Holyhead and Llandudno class 67 services finished permanently now?

DB

Have the TFW Manchester-Holyhead and Llandudno class 67 services finished permanently now?

Yes, unless they change their plans.

The Mk3s used for that (and for the WAG) have been disposed of.

seagull

First I've heard of a permanent end: last I knew there were training runs taking place along the North Wales Coast with a set, and certainly two days ago there was a full set sat in Crewe LNWR shed. Has something changed recently?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
First I've heard of a permanent end: last I knew there were training runs taking place along the North Wales Coast with a set, and certainly two days ago there was a full set sat in Crewe LNWR shed. Has something changed recently?

That’s for the Holyhead to Cardiff services which the 67/Mk4 sets will be used on.

seagull

Ah, quite right, I misread exactly what DavidB had written, thanks for sorting that out.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Staycation Express on the Settle to Carlisle line is very likely to be HST operated. Paths have already appeared for training runs.

DB

The Staycation Express on the Settle to Carlisle line is very likely to be HST operated. Paths have already appeared for training runs.

Pity they couldn't come up with a less ridculous name for it...

I would think that LSL Would Refurb and Repaint the HST if they are running one on the Staycation Express. As at the moment , 059, 058 and 083 are currently in Ex EMR Livery and look very tatty. Not to mention the fact that currently there are no HST Mk3s in Intercity Swallow livery. So my guess would be that 2 of the above PCs will be painted into ICS Livery and used on a service on the S and C in the Summer, however as part of their Intercity Brand.

DB

I would think that LSL Would Refurb and Repaint the HST if they are running one on the Staycation Express. As at the moment , 059, 058 and 083 are currently in Ex EMR Livery and look very tatty. Not to mention the fact that currently there are no HST Mk3s in Intercity Swallow livery. So my guess would be that 2 of the above PCs will be painted into ICS Livery and used on a service on the S and C in the Summer, however as part of their Intercity Brand.
yep, does seem likely. One power car is already at Eastleigh, and some more mk3s were taken there recently so some of those could be intended for this.

CW2

Established Member
Is there any news in the ATW Cardiff - Holyhead services? RTT shows the services from 17th May to be Holyhead - Shrewsbury only, so it would appear unlikely there will be any class 67 / Mk 4 sets involved.

Turbo004

TfW are currently training guards and drivers with Mk4 stock. The official plan is for some Holyhead - Cardiff services to go over to Class 67 / Mark 4 stock at the September timetable change. There should be 3 Northbound services and 3 Southbound services. There is a possibility if training goes well the odd service may go over to Mark 4 stock before September. On the other hand the services are going to be very expensive to run so I’m still hoping that there won’t be last minute cutbacks.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

You’ve missed off the International services from Belfast to Dublin which are class 201 hauled, whilst they are international services they are available for travel solely within this country also.

DB

You’ve missed off the International services from Belfast to Dublin which are class 201 hauled, whilst they are international services they are available for travel solely within this country also.

I didn't 'miss off' those - I intentionally excluded them as NI railways are separate from the main UK national rail system.

On Moderation
Think your guess hasn’t worked out!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Have they resumed loco hauled operations? It was a DMU-only affair last time I looked.

D6130

Established Member
TfW are currently training guards and drivers with Mk4 stock. The official plan is for some Holyhead - Cardiff services to go over to Class 67 / Mark 4 stock at the September timetable change. There should be 3 Northbound services and 3 Southbound services. There is a possibility if training goes well the odd service may go over to Mark 4 stock before September. On the other hand the services are going to be very expensive to run so I’m still hoping that there won’t be last minute cutbacks.
Let's hope that the excellent restaurant service is restored on the morning Up service and evening Down service before too long.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Let's hope that the excellent restaurant service is restored on the morning Up service and evening Down service before too long.

I suspect both the GWR and TfW Restaurant Cars are going to be something further down the line towards normality - with an airborne disease sharing tables or just the close confines etc isn’t really work until we are all vaccinated.

Turbo004

I’ve heard when restaurant cars are introduced it will be possible to have meals on all Class 67 and Mark 4 services. One of the meals being considered on the early afternoon services is Afternoon Tea which sounds very tempting.

DB

I think you mean GB rail system. NI is still part of the UK!

No, I don't. NI railways are not part of the UK national rail system - it's a separate network with a different gauge.

The fact that NI is part of the UK is irrelevant.

berneyarms

Established Member
No, I don't. NI railways are not part of the UK national rail system - it's a separate network with a different gauge.

I do live in Ireland so I do appreciate the difference. But in my experience, many people from Great Britain use UK when they actually mean GB.

Incidentally, when published, the National Rail timetable book was always called the GB Passenger Rail timetable to distinguish it from including NI Railways.

XAM2175

Established Member
Your original post did say "The only timetabled loco-hauled trains (if you don't count HSTs) in this country now..." so in the fullest spirit of RailUK pedantry - and noting that you included services in Scotland and Wales in addition to England - it does appear that you were referring to the UK as a whole and thus were wrong to omit the services in Northern Ireland without clarification.

DB

Your original post did say "The only timetabled loco-hauled trains (if you don't count HSTs) in this country now..." so in the fullest spirit of RailUK pedantry - and noting that you included services in Scotland and Wales in addition to England - it does appear that you were referring to the UK as a whole and thus were wrong to omit the services in Northern Ireland without clarification.

We will have to disagree on this. It's normal on this forum for statements to generally apply to the main UK rail network unless specifically stated - and the main UK network does not include the separate NI network.

SeanG

Don't forget that the NYMR will be operating from Whitby to Grosmont over National Rail metals. Its classed an an open access operator rather than a charter so not sure it'll fit your criteria. A good day out nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.