• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled services operated by WCRC on the Windermere branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

E759

Bus to Bowness, Windermere Lake Cruises 'steamer' to Lakeside, steam train to Haverthwaite and an excellent home-made lunch in the station cafe before the return journey, all assuming time permits.

Short of time for the steam train trip? Lakeside Hotel next to the pier is rather nice.

Do double-check timings.
There be steam trains! Nobody mentioned steam trains. Well I will get busy researching the TT then.

Many thanks indeed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
There be steam trains! Nobody mentioned steam trains. Well I will get busy researching the TT then.

Many thanks indeed.
The trains at Lakeside connect neatly with the steamers. Expect an ex-industrial tank and 3-4 Mk1s. There is an inclusive ticket with the steamer.
Probably too late, but the Lakes Day Ranger covers you from Lancaster, includes a steamer trip and Stagecoach buses, and the Coast line as far as Workington/WCML to Penrith.
Corrected info, sorry. Thanks to BlueFox.

Last edited:

BlueFox

the Lakes Day Ranger covers you from Lancaster, includes a steamer trip and all the buses south of the Workington-Penrith route

The Lakes Day Ranger includes travel on Stagecoach buses in the whole of Cumbria (plus the 555 to Lancaster), not just those south of Workington/Penrith.

pemma

Veteran Member
Quite amusing that some wag seems to have added them as pathed as Class 390 (Pendolino) EMU :)

They were put in twice for some reason, once timed for a 'diesel loco' and once timed for a 390 with the 390 timed services ended up as being cancelled. Also interesting they were timed for just a diesel loco, not a diesel loco trailing x tonnes. The driver might not be too happy if the passengers cram in to the loco due to not carriages behind it.

E759

The trains at Lakeside connect neatly with the steamers. Expect an ex-industrial tank and 3-4 Mk1s. There is an inclusive ticket with the steamer.
Probably too late, but the Lakes Day Ranger covers you from Lancaster, includes a steamer trip and Stagecoach buses, and the Coast line as far as Workington/WCML to Penrith.
Corrected info, sorry. Thanks to BlueFox.
Thank you both. Arriving Oxenholm 12:20 (from Euston changing Preston) and departing 19:25 I've just successfully created a return itinerary to Haverthwaite via WCRC, 599, lake "steamer" and whatever L&HR are running on Tuesday. Having the lake steamer connect with the L&HR is great. Lots of ducks need to line up but if they don't, there is still the lake to enjoy. A cool 24 degrees forecast for Bowness, can't have everything and it is that bit closer to the North Pole...

robbeale

Thank you both. Arriving Oxenholm 12:20 (from Euston changing Preston) and departing 19:25 I've just successfully created a return itinerary to Haverthwaite via WCRC, 599, lake "steamer" and whatever L&HR are running on Tuesday. Having the lake steamer connect with the L&HR is great. Lots of ducks need to line up but if they don't, there is still the lake to enjoy. A cool 24 degrees forecast for Bowness, can't have everything and it is that bit closer to the North Pole...

Don't worry about the L&HR connections. They wait as long as needed for the steamers.
Latterly they've been using the 42073 Fairburn or the 1245 Barclay.

E759

Don't worry about the L&HR connections. They wait as long as needed for the steamers.
Latterly they've been using the 42073 Fairburn or the 1245 Barclay.
thank you Rob, that's good to hear. Is the 599 equipped for contactless payment do you know?

xotGD

Established Member
Well we had a very pleasant day out to Windermere yesterday. An interesting mix of locals, tourists and cranks on the train. My wife has now had 3 WCRC Cromptons!

Anyone just planning to do a single round trip and getting there by car, you can park for free for 3 hours in Booths right by Windermere station. The car park is also an ideal place for photography.

robbeale

thank you Rob, that's good to hear. Is the 599 equipped for contactless payment do you know?

No its not but you can get the Stagecoach app.
The afore mentioned day ranger ticket will cover you for the bus but not for the boat/L&HR. The day ranger ticket is valid, annoyingly, for a single trip on the lake with the idea that people pick up the bus at the other end.
Assuming you get the 1240 to WDM you'll have a choice of the 1350 or 1455 to Lakeside from Bowness which get you back to Bowness after the L&HR at 1625 or 1730.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I was under the impression EWS supplied the 37s and drivers for the Rhymney's . Don't know about the coaching stock or the exact financial arrangements.
Definitely EWS locos with Rhymney based ATW drivers. WCRC had nothing to do with it. Occasionally a 47 worked the Rhymney valley hired from Riviera Trains at Crewe.

E759

No its not but you can get the Stagecoach app.
The afore mentioned day ranger ticket will cover you for the bus but not for the boat/L&HR. The day ranger ticket is valid, annoyingly, for a single trip on the lake with the idea that people pick up the bus at the other end.
Assuming you get the 1240 to WDM you'll have a choice of the 1350 or 1455 to Lakeside from Bowness which get you back to Bowness after the L&HR at 1625 or 1730.
Thanks again Rob; I've got tickets too/from Oxenholm (Off-peak out and Advance back) and was planning on getting the £23.80 ferry/train Freedom ticket and will use the Stagecoach app for the bus. This is based on the premise that I don't need to pay for the Windermere branch as has been mentioned up-thread. However given it's £6.20 I will probably get one and it acts as a b/up for the RRB in case WCRC goes down.

Itinerary (as stands): WCRC 1240, 599 13:22, ferry 1350, L&HR 14:40 then returning straight back to Bowness arriving 1625 to rest there or Windermere for either the 1710 or 1830 WCRC.

PS: Nice to see my itinerary matches your very helpful advice!

robbeale

Thanks again Rob; I've got tickets too/from Oxenholm (Off-peak out and Advance back) and was planning on getting the £23.80 ferry/train Freedom ticket and will use the Stagecoach app for the bus. This is based on the premise that I don't need to pay for the Windermere branch as has been mentioned up-thread. However given it's £6.20 I will probably get one and it acts as a b/up for the RRB in case WCRC goes down.

Itinerary (as stands): WCRC 1240, 599 13:22, ferry 1350, L&HR 14:40 then returning straight back to Bowness arriving 1625 to rest there or Windermere for either the 1710 or 1830 WCRC.

PS: Nice to see my itinerary matches your very helpful advice!
Enjoy, make sure you wave to me when you pass. I skipper the Tern which will be the 1600 to Lakeside so will pass you on your way back from Lakeside.
So far it's definitely free on the branch. I've used it multiple times. Never been asked for a ticket or anything. Lovely staff on board willing to chat, and lots of locals using it alongside the tourists and enthusiasts.
Hope you enjoy your day.

E759

Enjoy, make sure you wave to me when you pass. I skipper the Tern which will be the 1600 to Lakeside so will pass you on your way back from Lakeside.
So far it's definitely free on the branch. I've used it multiple times. Never been asked for a ticket or anything. Lovely staff on board willing to chat, and lots of locals using it alongside the tourists and enthusiasts.
Hope you enjoy your day.
You have a great job Rob! In the summer it must feel like hardly work at all. Will watch for Tern. I am so grateful for the advise I've received here and very much looking forward to an integrated multimodal trip :)

Sir_Sheep

Thinking about making a day of this on Friday 29th. A ride on Tern sounds perfect! Can’t wait

pemma

Veteran Member
Anyone know when these are likely to finish? 2nd of July was what I heard?

As things stand WCRC services are in the system until 29th June. On 30th June a reduced Northern service is showing (replacement buses in the morning, a mixture of trains and buses in the afternoon) with a full Northern service from 1st July (Sunday.)

pemma

Veteran Member

Now the forecast is for 26oC in Windermere tomorrow - the same as London and cooler than Manchester. (Source: Accuweather.)

djpontrack

The empty stock tonight is showing as going to Lancaster then Morecambe and back to Carnforth. They must want to turn the stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.