Loco MORNING STAR 70021

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by STEVIEBOY1, 3 May 2018.

1. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Good evening. I have just bought second hand 00 gauge 4.6.2 Loco MORNING STAR 70021. I Just wondered in working life what regions would that loco have worked it. It has the British Railways wheel with a lion on the tender. Tks. Steve.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

4. eastdyke

eastdyke Established Member

The David Hey Collection website includes the excellent Britannia class synopsis by Derek Dean.
    The entry for Morning Star can be found from the following link and then scrolling down the page:
    http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page91.htm
    The entry includes:
    Plus pictures and much more!

5. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

Morning Star was used on Manchester Central to St Pancras expresses (and vv) c 1960, and (as noted above by eastdyke) David Hey's page confirms it was a Trafford PArk loco in that time. I definitely saw it in that time. Of course, I'm sure it did other turns too, but the Midland needed Cl 7 power to keep time with the accelerated timings while the WCML was being electrified, and I think 70021 was one of the first transferred from the Western to help with these duties. It was found by 1960 that the many tight curves on the Derby - Manchester route induced frame crackin on the Brits, and they began to be transferred away - replaced mainly by Cl 45s, which were then coming out of shops.

6. Arglwydd Golau

Arglwydd Golau Established Member

I remember seeing 70021 on Stockport Edgeley shed very early in the morning on a Saturday in June 1966 from the 'Aberdonian' railtour.....I think that I had just woken up, looked out of the window and there she was!

7. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Thank you all so much for this information, very interesting. :D