• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco number books/ spotting books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRobinson

I can't speak for the ownership of that book, but I can tell you that it's both cheaper (albeit only 10p) and likely to be despatched more quickly if you buy from Amazon.

TBH, it seems odd to be wanting to buy a book with information valid for one year halfway through the year- surely you'd be better off waiting until the 2013 version is out?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yes, the Platform 5 Locomotive & Rolling Stock pocket books linked to in the opening post are the definitive enthusiasts' guide to loco (and unit) technical data, liveries and allocations. The Combined Volume, as it's name suggests, rolls all four of the Pocket Books, with one each covering Locos, Coaching Stock, DMUs (And Light Rail Systems) and EMUs into one single bound publication: The Combined Volume is published later in the year, on the 1st of March, than the individual pocket books, which become available from the very beginning of the year they relate to and are generally accurate to late October of the preceding year, whilst the Combined Volume ostensibly includes updates to the information contained that is accurate to the beginning of the year in question.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can't speak for the ownership of that book, but I can tell you that it's both cheaper (albeit only 10p) and likely to be despatched more quickly if you buy from Amazon.
I would encourage folk to order them direct from Platform 5 Publishing: They're a very friendly and tight knit bunch of people who have always been exceptionally efficient at getting orders out to people, even following the sad loss of their founding member, Peter Fox.

Established Member
I normally buy the combined that has the lot in, the last one i bought cost me around £14, I know theres cheaper versions, like the excellent spotters companion but I just like the way platform 5's books are set out.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Frankly I'm amazed that there is still a market for such publications. I'm 46 in August but was a keen spotter in my teens when on a Saturday platform ends up and down the country would be packed with 'spotters. Nowadays things are very different, even at the likes of Crewe, Derby, Doncaster, Birmingham NS, Bristol Temple Meads etc.

D6975

Established Member
Platform 5 are probably the best of the books available, but I stopped buying them years ago and went paperless. I created spreadsheet files and update them with info from the web. (Used to use the junction, sadly no more).

The Spotter's Companion, the fleetstatus thing off wnxx and my own creation: a 'Loco Profiles' folder containing sub-folders of diesel/steam/electric/dmu etc, then folders in there for each class.

So say if I wanted to know if I'd seen 67015 - I find the 67s folder and there'd be an accordingly-named photo in that folder (or not). Works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.