• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Locomotion] Few Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
Well I've had some spare time over the last few days so decided to blow the dust off this old game and start a UK style scenario. Not sure if many remember this game or still got it but I'm finding it very addictive and trying to squeeze in a hour a week. Anyway it's 1976 so onto the screenshots!

British Rail have recently launched a new NSE brand for the commuter services around Coalhampton, the capital. Here trains are seen running on 3rd rail serving the city of Castleborough running alongside the newly constructed Airport Express line which is due into operation within the next 5 years.

The mining industry is booming and many private investors are catching onto this with heavy cash flows being pumped into infrastructure. Here a Class 87 is seen loading Iron Ore before heading onto the mainline.

Many of the upgrades can be seen at the Burton Coal Mines with a diesel minecart system running through deep slopes before meeting with the interchange. Overhead self-loading facilities are being installed to speed up the loading however disputes with unions are currently being undertaken since this will result in the loss of OHLE through these lines.

Brightchester is the Northern hub for the rail network with mainline services terminating here. Here seen is the Highland depot which is used to service the freight wagons and store snow clearing tools for the winter season. Class 37s run the passenger services serving the remote regions of the Far North with a lifeline.

The ski resort of Mt Seaview has one of the last remaining gravity assisted cliff railways in the country and has proved to be a tourist attraction in its own right. In light of this, the local council of Beachville has extended the tram network to serve the cliff railway to form Mt Seaview Parkway.

Transport for Coalhampton has noticed the need for a rapid transport system so has created an underground rail network to serve the city through a loop and with commuter services to nearby towns. Here is an A-Stock surface train serving the towns while a tube train emerges from the Coalhampton loop.

Middlesbury is a growing town being served by Intercity trains and commuter rail services. Services are expected to expand following the recent introduction of high speed trains and the much anticipated ATP.

Woodlands is the main depot servicing the rail network for all stock. Hidden away is remains of the old Pullman service which is being replaced with new ATP trains due in the next few years and an increase in Push-Pull express trains. An MPV is seen entering the depot following recent engineering works for the new Eurotunnel project to increase coal flows.

The next 10 years are looking to be promising with the introduction of ATP, Airport Express and a mining boom. Industrial action has been discussed following new government policy to privatise many public sectors.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbon 1

YES! Finally someone else plays Locomotion on here! Will upload screenshots tomorrow....watch this space :p

-----

Casually turning this into the Locomotion screenshots thread :D

So, this is my small, but extremely busy network, running mainly as double track, as after Lower Tinwood Junction, the mainline divides in true Locomotion fasion (strict policy of one train per signal block :roll:)

screenshot10ei.png

This is the busiest station on the network, spanning three towns: Blackfield, Bootstoke and Alderworth. Here we see that the main source of traction is an army of Class 86s, with a Class 85 (001, yes i have to name my trains in numerical order :p) on a rake of standard mail carriages.
---
screenshot9sq.png

This is the famed junction, with Lower Tinwood Train Care Depot in the background. Just out of shot in the lower right is an iron ore mine, with a Class 58 moving into the loading area. Just beyond the mine is the divergence for the short Suningston Branch, and to the left, the Sharptown line passes the freight loop (where all the Class 37 hauled food trains are stopped for a short time as they are restricted to 50mph). APTs were tested on the route, but with many stations and most trains stopping with no loops, it was not seen as financially viable, although, it seems that wouldn't have mattered :lol:
---
screenshot3fhtkt.png

This is Sharptown and Gardenhatton station at the south westerly extremity of the network.
---
screenshot2sar.png

This picture portrays the relative calm compared to busy times between the two biggest stations on the network.
---
screenshot8k.png

Here we see no less than four expresses in the area between Shipbourne and the newly nicknamed 'Three Cities Station'. Also in the shot is a slow moving Class 37 which will cause havoc along the congested line.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Myself i know that interface/ Graphics engine more from Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 though myself.

Ahh now there is a good game! Only played Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 (and it's expansions) myself but I wasted many a happy hour in my misspent youth playing that game.

I've also had a go at Locomotion (to bring us back on topic) and it was quite good fun, though I never really had the time to commit to it properly.

Ivo

Established Member
I never realised how different this game appears to its predecessor...!

The only problem is, with OpenTTD around, there is no real reason to obtain a copy.

Laryk

The only problem is, with OpenTTD around, there is no real reason to obtain a copy.

Having played OpenTTD for a while now it would just make me angry going back to Locomotion - but you've got to love the curved track! :)

chris89

Established Member
I never realised how different this game appears to its predecessor...!

Like wise. There isn't really any reason at all to go for it with Open TTD about.

As again its strange to me seeing the Layout like that without having a large theme park in view :P

But then on RCT1 & 2 and to lesser extent 3 i always built large Railway or Monorail systems though :P and raise the price when it rains :P <D

Chris

Ascot

Established Member
Now if only we had OpenTTDs logic and signalling combined with Locomotions graphics and train mods. :lol:

WestCountry

Now if only we had OpenTTDs logic and signalling combined with Locomotions graphics and train mods.
OTTD has the extra zoom levels in trunk now, someone already tried converting Locomotion models to OpenTTD, and a couple of trainsets in development have scale-length vehicles and 24 turning angles. Are you sure your suggestion hasn't already happened? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.