• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

DB

Surely that is no different to the situation with 37 + ETHEL on the West Highland Line? The ETH controls were all in the ETHEL, and any class 37 could work with it without modification.

Did it actually work in multi, though? If so that would probably have worked by the ETS being permanently on when the engine was running - the ETHELs couldn't provide traction power so the generator must have been wired direct to the ETS sockets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CW2

Established Member
Did it actually work in multi, though? If so that would probably have worked by the ETS being permanently on when the engine was running - the ETHELs couldn't provide traction power so the generator must have been wired direct to the ETS sockets.
On the ETHEL the ETS was not provided all the time the engine was running. You had to enter the vehicle and turn on the ETS, at which point the engine note would rise noticeably. The multi working was connected up so that if the fire alarm was triggered on the ETHEL then it would show up in the cab of the 37 as a fault.

On Moderation
All this talk of 37s and 73s for the BEL depends on what you are trying to achieve. First, is the BEL just the usual SR 750V DC train supply or will it be able to take standard 850-1000V supply as well?

If the latter there is no point using the 73, unless you have a 73/9 and want to run in push-pull mode. If you want push-pull without a 73/9, you'll need a 33/1. Otherwise just drag it with a LSL Duff.

ExRes

Established Member
I always understood it that a 73/0 could heat a train on diesel (but not heat and haul) while a 73/1 couldn't heat on diesel at all?

In any case, other than one of the GBRf 73/9 conversions, a 73 of either JA or JB types is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard when considering diesel haulage of the BEL. Too little power to be of use.

73/1s did provide ETS on diesel, we had to use diesel from the PRDC across the WCML for the Dover TPO, the posties would certainly have dropped the lack of supply into conversation ........

Diesel certainly didn't give a lot of power but sufficient for when I usually used it, with the TPO empties from Dover to Ashford there were numerous 3rd rail gaps between Minster Jct and Ashford and at 5am it was a lot easier to use diesel than keep running the power off, with a 60mph speed limit it managed just fine, obviously a higher line speed would have required a rethink

Richard Scott

Established Member
73/1s did provide ETS on diesel, we had to use diesel from the PRDC across the WCML for the Dover TPO, the posties would certainly have dropped the lack of supply into conversation ........

Diesel certainly didn't give a lot of power but sufficient for when I usually used it, with the TPO empties from Dover to Ashford there were numerous 3rd rail gaps between Minster Jct and Ashford and at 5am it was a lot easier to use diesel than keep running the power off, with a 60mph speed limit it managed just fine, obviously a higher line speed would have required a rethink
I'm fairly sure 73/1s can't supply ETS on diesel, have experience of one and nowhere is there an ETS on switch for diesel. Sure the short distance off the juice wouldn't have been noticed on TPO as heaters would take a while to cool. 73/0s can heat on diesel but only if traction power not required.

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I always understood it that a 73/0 could heat a train on diesel (but not heat and haul) while a 73/1 couldn't heat on diesel at all?

In any case, other than one of the GBRf 73/9 conversions, a 73 of either JA or JB types is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard when considering diesel haulage of the BEL. Too little power to be of use.

Apologies "43096". That is what I meant to say. Thanks for pointing it out.
We were on a Birmingham-Hastings ADEX way back then, with the usual roarer to Mitre Bridge, for the Crompton to Eastbourne where they backed the 73/0 on. The weather was pretty miserable and overcast so the young driver switched the ETH on while the ED was burbling away waiting the tip. Got the road, driver took power and the burbling ceased. Someone from the front coach legged it up to the cab and suggested the driver switched the ETH off, and off we went.

There was a similar issue on a tour to the Severn Valley many many years ago which involved a "JA" (73/0) and a "KB" (33/1) in mult. Fine so long as ETH wasn't selected.

So yes, a 73/0 can heat on diesel when static. I am not an expert but I imagine the control and power supply system could be converted from 73/0 to 73/1 standard, but as "43096" says, expecting that much from a 73 on diesel is optimistic to say the least. Has the BB been fitted out with energy saving lighting ? The heat and on board catering would still suck a far amount out of the 73's meagre supply.

On Moderation
Apologies "43096". That is what I meant to say. Thanks for pointing it out.
We were on a Birmingham-Hastings ADEX way back then, with the usual roarer to Mitre Bridge, for the Crompton to Eastbourne where they backed the 73/0 on. The weather was pretty miserable and overcast so the young driver switched the ETH on while the ED was burbling away waiting the tip. Got the road, driver took power and the burbling ceased. Someone from the front coach legged it up to the cab and suggested the driver switched the ETH off, and off we went.

There was a similar issue on a tour to the Severn Valley many many years ago which involved a "JA" (73/0) and a "KB" (33/1) in mult. Fine so long as ETH wasn't selected.

So yes, a 73/0 can heat on diesel when static. I am not an expert but I imagine the control and power supply system could be converted from 73/0 to 73/1 standard, but as "43096" says, expecting that much from a 73 on diesel is optimistic to say the least. Has the BB been fitted out with energy saving lighting ? The heat and on board catering would still suck a far amount out of the 73's meagre supply.
Interestingly there is a rumour elsewhere that LSL have bought 33110. An ideal loco for shoving the BEL around away from the stabiliser rail.

CW2

Established Member
Interestingly there is a rumour elsewhere that LSL have bought 33110. An ideal loco for shoving the BEL around away from the stabiliser rail.
That would make a great deal of sense. It was offered for sale by Bodmin & Wenford Railway:
33110 Sealed Bid Auction
An ideal addition to the LSL fleet, if confirmed.

Murray J

37521 just failed at Blackburn, while operating the 5Z47 Crewe H.S to Appleby Sidings move, of the skipton-appleby stock. according to a user on railcam, 37521 had an electrical issue, with the loco and GSMR shutting down. the stock is now on it's way back to Crewe as 5Z48 with 47593 leading.

Jim

Established Member
37521 just failed at Blackburn, while operating the 5Z47 Crewe H.S to Appleby Sidings move, of the skipton-appleby stock. according to a user on railcam, 37521 had an electrical issue, with the loco and GSMR shutting down. the stock is now on it's way back to Crewe as 5Z48 with 47593 leading.

37407 has replaced 521 for tomorrow apparently, running 5Z49 from Crewe now.

alexl92

Established Member
37407 has replaced 521 for tomorrow apparently, running 5Z49 from Crewe now.

37407 was a short term hire, they've now sent another 37 up to replace it, with a class 20 as backup.

Colby James

Also apparently HST class 43 43060 isn’t going to LSL I’m afraid to say it along with 050 are going to Colas.

So if 060 isn’t off to LSL then which unit is off to LSL with 043 then according to roumers?

Speed43125

Also apparently HST class 43 43060 isn’t going to LSL I’m afraid to say it along with 050 are going to Colas.

So if 060 isn’t off to LSL then which unit is off to LSL with 043 then according to roumers?
What are Colas doing with 43s? more NR work, like their 67s?

David Goddard

Established Member
We saw 33110 on a low loader heading East on the M4 at Reading at about 07:30 this morning. Assume it is off to a new home

alexl92

Established Member
The B&WR did announce that it had left the railway but didn't say where for - LSL makes total sense.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 33 isn't going to LSL. I believe it is going to the owner of 33202 and 33018

43 302

Established Member
40145 has just taken LSLs 4th power car, 43058, from Long Marston to Crewe as 5Z42. One more PC to go. Likely 45/59.

jaketaylor

Any idea when the two that are getting intercity livery leave Eastleigh? & will they have a matching rake of mk3s too? Thanks to anyone that can help with the information!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The HST training train (Crewe - Carnforth - Rugby - Crewe) was two de-branded EMT power cars and four ex-GWR trailers.
https://flic.kr/p/2k2D5uD (not my photo)

There was hope that it would have been the Blue Pullman set which has made it to Crewe:
https://flic.kr/p/2k1MkTj (again not my photo)
Hope by who ? Maybe you ?
AIUI the livery detail couldn't be completed in time at Eastleigh, so I guess it will be completed at Crewe prior to official launch. Makes sense to give the other power cars a run out.

Mollman

Established Member
Hope by who ? Maybe you ?
Well yes, you got a problem with that?
A number of other enthusiasts seemed to as well, we all put 2 & 2 together (set being delivered to Crewe and pre-tour training runs scheduled) but must have got 5.

59CosG95

Established Member
For those interested, the "Midland Pullman" HST rake recently released from Eastleigh is formed 43055 / 41176 / 41108 / 41162 / 41059 / 40801 / 41182 / 41169 / 44078 / 43046. The powercars have, for those unaware as to why the yellow ends have gone, been fitted with a new top headlight in addition to the original clusters.