• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locos and units you didnt like and still dont miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A lot of people saying that the first generation DMUs aren't missed, but I think that depends on what replaced them. If you got Sprinters it was probably an improvement but Pacers less so. That said I do miss the 141s and 144s as they were unique to my part of the world, even though they weren't great.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I miss 1st generation DMUs. They were great to work on and had the large van space which is greatly missed. The 101s had good heating in the van compared to the 108s. When out and about the country I also enjoyed travelling around on the various EMUs such as 302,310 etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I‘ve never understood the ongoing fuss made about preserving the single class 89 loco. A unique prototype loco that didn’t ever go into series production (for what seem perfectly understandable reasons) makes it non-representative, besides it’s just plain ugly to look at. :'(

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I‘ve never understood the ongoing fuss made about preserving the single class 89 loco. A unique prototype loco that didn’t ever go into series production (for what seem perfectly understandable reasons) makes it non-representative, besides it’s just plain ugly to look at. :'(
It's right that it was preserved. Imagine how popular the likes of HS4000,DP2,Falcon etc would be if they still existed.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... but then I always found the pre-refurb 141s to be rather cute in a way- the same way some lasses get all gooey about pugs!

xotGD

Established Member
It's right that it was preserved. Imagine how popular the likes of HS4000,DP2,Falcon etc would be if they still existed.
DP2 could be recreated by converting one of the preserved Deltics.

I'm sure that would be a popular idea. Not!

Dr_Paul

Established Member

I've always thought it's a shame that the LNER U1 Garrett was scrapped. Not the most efficient loco, nor one that was particularly popular with crews, but what a sight it would be.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
DP2 could be recreated by converting one of the preserved Deltics.

I'm sure that would be a popular idea. Not!
Perhaps a fun repaint but not ripping out the Napiers :D
Seeing that the 53 lasted into the 70s and HS4000 even longer (in USSR) it's a shame they were allowed to be missed. At least 18000 came home. Imagine that turbine roaring (if only).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... but then I always found the pre-refurb 141s to be rather cute in a way- the same way some lasses get all gooey about pugs!
I showed my partner a picture of a L&Y 0-4-0ST and she did not go at all gooey.
I'll get my coat........

Ashley Hill

Established Member
And while you're at it, why not preserve the Fell loco, that was more technically remarkable.
Well yes,all those engines blairing away. The SuperClayton and GT3. It's just that several prototypes languished around after withdrawal only to be unceremoniously scrapped whilst yet another prairie tank was rescued from Barry. Likewise the NBLs there. Same with the RTCs 17s and 23. So many chances lost.

randyrippley

Established Member
Well yes,all those engines blairing away. The SuperClayton and GT3. It's just that several prototypes languished around after withdrawal only to be unceremoniously scrapped whilst yet another prairie tank was rescued from Barry. Likewise the NBLs there. Same with the RTCs 17s and 23. So many chances lost.
Chances lost? Not really. What do you want from a museum, a collection of failures? A series of exhibits of how to get railway engineering wrong?
The NBLs, the Claytons, the CoBos were technological disasters, best forgotten not preserved. While the Fell loco, Kestrel, Falcon, GT3 and the 89 were technological dead ends. So much so that after Falcon, Bristol-Siddeley gave up on diesels, while after Kestrel, Sulzer abandoned railway diesels. GT3 just proved that gas turbines were an economic disaster area.
Museums should represent and show what was successful, not that which failed.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Chances lost? Not really. What do you want from a museum, a collection of failures? A series of exhibits of how to get railway engineering wrong?
The NBLs, the Claytons, the CoBos were technological disasters, best forgotten not preserved. While the Fell loco, Kestrel, Falcon, GT3 and the 89 were technological dead ends. So much so that after Falcon, Bristol-Siddeley gave up on diesels, while after Kestrel, Sulzer abandoned railway diesels. GT3 just proved that gas turbines were an economic disaster area.
Museums should represent and show what was successful, not that which failed.

Very good - I like the idea of a "museum of failures" - plenty of scope there , and not just for locomotives ......think Bulleid "Tavern Cars" , or BR's Modular Catering on Inter City.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Throw in a Bulleid Leader perhaps too. They all had their place in history. 71000 was unique and has been preserved. The 4DD vehicles need saving. Whether things were successful or not at least one of everything should have been preserved hence the 89!
The 17 is a popular draw at the galas it visits. It was at ours and I was privileged to be allowed to drive it. Equally the 15 and 28 will be too!

Journeyman

Established Member
Throw in a Bulleid Leader perhaps too. They all had their place in history. 71000 was unique and has been preserved. The 4DD vehicles need saving. Whether things were successful or not at least one of everything should have been preserved hence the 89!
The 17 is a popular draw at the galas it visits. It was at ours and I was privileged to be allowed to drive it. Equally the 15 and 28 will be too!

Neglect of the 4DD vehicles is absolutely criminal - one of those needs to be in the NRM.

Neglect of the 4DD vehicles is absolutely criminal - one of those needs to be in the NRM.
I’d rather a 4-EPB was, one saloon and one compartment coach. More representative or daily commuting across all three SR divisions, and not too far from the LTS, North London Line and Great Eastern Southend lines. And by preserved I mean national museum preserbed.

Journeyman

Established Member
I’d rather a 4-EPB was, one saloon and one compartment coach. More representative or daily commuting across all three SR divisions, and not too far from the LTS, North London Line and Great Eastern Southend lines. And by preserved I mean national museum preserbed.

Both a 4-SUB and 4-EPB survive, along with a 2-HAP and several 2-EPBs, and none are under threat. The 4-DD vehicles are the only double deck rail vehicles ever built in this country, and are far closer to being lost forever.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Re the 4-EPB; I would rather have seen a 9-compartment trailer be preserved as these were originally built as composites back in the day, but never ran as such

Back on topic; I won't miss the 458s with their hideous Desiro ends - worse than the original Class 455/8's...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Re the 4-EPB; I would rather have seen a 9-compartment trailer be preserved as these were originally built as composites back in the day, but never ran as such

Back on topic; I won't miss the 458s with their hideous Desiro ends - worse than the original Class 455/8's...
The 458s show that if your starting point is ugly, there's only so much you can do to beautify... I rather like the early 455 front, it's got a certain industrial charm about it. I wish the 150/2s had got that front rather than the dull featureless face they did get.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Being honest I still miss the 150s on the Chase Line for all the right reasons. They were reliable, kept to time and were just good commuter trains. When the 170s replaced them they were always losing time. The situation got worse when they were coupled to Class 153s. Having to uncouple and recouple mid journey to clear faults was quite common. Yes the 170s are nice units inside but were not really designed for start stop commuter services. To be fair though they did settle down after a while.

Then last year we got the 350s.... Nice trains, disastrous timetable!

For commuter services I suppose they aren't that bad, but in today's world you'd expect something a bit better I feel

Status
Not open for further replies.