• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loganair Axes Newcastle-Aberdeen flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Good news for LNER this one:

Scottish airline Loganair has axed its Aberdeen-Newcastle service, saying demand shows no sign of reaching the level needed to make it financially viable.

The Aberdeen-Newcastle route was previously operated by collapsed airline Flybe.

Today (July 22), a spokewoman for Glasgow Airport-based Loganair said: “Throughout the majority of the last year, Loganair has operated the Newcastle to Aberdeen route to ensure connectivity for essential workers.

“However, passenger bookings have not reached and do not show signs of reaching the levels necessary to provide a service that is financially viable for the long term.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Good news for LNER this one:

Have they started a service from Southampton to Newcastle ?

Loganair famous for taking over routes and dropping them, it's not the first one.

Their fares are often stratospheric.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Their fares are often stratospheric.
Didn't the previous operator go bust - kind of suggests that higher fares are required to cover costs, and if fewer people travel as a result, even higher fares are needed, or it needs to be recognised that the operation isn't viable.

Butts

Veteran Member
Didn't the previous operator go bust - kind of suggests that higher fares are required to cover costs, and if fewer people travel as a result, even higher fares are needed, or it needs to be recognised that the operation isn't viable.

Just as well that criteria does not apply to The Railway ;)

WestCoast

Established Member
I’m BA Silver but I’m defintely a Loganair fan. They can be expensive but note they only really operate routes that provide essential connectivity (and there’s discount programmes for Scottish Islands residents etc) or where no other airline seems to want to operate. It would be great to have BA Cityflyer on more domestic routes but they just don’t seem interested, so I am happy Loganair have taken the plunge to try some of the old Flybe routes where no else will.

They are just really simple to fly with and how it used to be, you buy a ticket and they won’t charge you to check-in at the airport, the ticket includes a checked-in bag and they are usually super friendly onboard and on the ground. Clan Loganair is also decent too - after 12 flights with them in the past couple of years I redeemed my points saving me £100 quid.

Flew Aberdeen - Manchester on one of their new ATRs 72s and for a turboprop was pretty impressed, much nicer than the old Flybe Dash. Almost every seat taken too which was very surprising, will be interesting to see what happens with easyJet coming on the route (see how long that lasts).

Butts

Veteran Member
I’m BA Silver but I’m defintely a Loganair fan. They can be expensive but note they only really operate routes that provide essential connectivity (and there’s discount programmes for Scottish Islands residents etc) or where no other airline seems to want to operate. It would be great to have BA Cityflyer on more domestic routes but they just don’t seem interested, so I am happy Loganair have taken the plunge to try some of the old Flybe routes where no else will.

They are just really simple to fly with and how it used to be, you buy a ticket and they won’t charge you to check-in at the airport, the ticket includes a checked-in bag and they are usually super friendly onboard and on the ground. Clan Loganair is also decent too - after 12 flights with them in the past couple of years I redeemed my points saving me £100 quid.

Flew Aberdeen - Manchester on one of their new ATRs 72s and for a turboprop was pretty impressed, much nicer than the old Flybe Dash. Almost every seat taken too which was very surprising, will be interesting to see what happens with easyJet coming on the route (see how long that lasts).

Loganair seem to have a lot of clapped out Embraers unlike BA Cityflyer and even Flybe's when extant.

Been on ones from BHX to INV and EDI to SOU.

For the fares they charge a free Tunnocks and a Coffee is pretty poor :E - see BA Cityflyer !!

WestCoast

Established Member
Loganair seem to have a lot of clapped out Embraers unlike BA Cityflyer and even Flybe's when extant.

Been on ones from BHX to INV and EDI to SOU.

For the fares they charge a free Tunnocks and a Coffee is pretty poor :E - see BA Cityflyer !!

I quite like the E145s/E135s they inherited from Bmi Regional, great to have the single seat when flying solo.

Longer term they are going to focus on the ATR or so I’m told. I think that seems sensible.

They’ve been around for 60 years of course and seem quite risk adverse so the latest expansion post Flybe collapse has been pretty bold for them. Some routes will work, others won’t. There won’t be a lot of airlines queuing up to take on Newcastle - Aberdeen though.

Butts

Veteran Member
I quite like the E145s/E135s they inherited from Bmi Regional, great to have the single seat when flying solo.

Longer term they are going to focus on the ATR or so I’m told. I think that seems sensible.

They’ve been around for 60 years of course and seem quite risk adverse so the latest expansion post Flybe collapse has been pretty bold for them. Some routes will work, others won’t. There won’t be a lot of airlines queuing up to take on Newcastle - Aberdeen though.

Wasn't it Southampton-Aberdeen via Newcastle ?

WestCoast

Established Member
Wasn't it Southampton-Aberdeen via Newcastle ?

For sure, Loganair have a number of routes like that at that moment. One of the most interesting for me is a service that runs through on the same flight number (LM25 down and LM26 up) Shetland - Aberdeen - Manchester - Newquay. That’s true north to south connectivity!

Speaking of the Southampton to Aberdeen via Newcastle, maybe another ex Flybe franchisee, Eastern, will step in. Unfortunately they are even more expensive than Loganair usually and have some aged planes too.

DanNCL

Established Member
Aberdeen - Newcastle was inevitably going to see a reduction in demand with the shift away from fossil fuels, and consequently the decline of the oil industry which was the primary source of demand for that route. I'm not surprised that Loganair have pulled the plug on it.

Speaking of the Southampton to Aberdeen via Newcastle, maybe another ex Flybe franchisee, Eastern, will step in. Unfortunately they are even more expensive than Loganair usually and have some aged planes too.
I'd be surprised if Southampton - Newcastle lasts much longer. I flew Southampton - Newcastle a few years ago back when it was Flybe and there were only about 10 other passengers on it. It might do slightly better now than previously, now that LNER have gone from comfortable trains to ones with the comfort levels of a park bench whilst having the cheek to up the fares at the same time, but I can't see that convincing a significant enough number of people to switch from rail via London to a direct flight to make the direct flight financially viable.

Butts

Veteran Member
For sure, Loganair have a number of routes like that at that moment. One of the most interesting for me is a service that runs through on the same flight number (LM25 down and LM26 up) Shetland - Aberdeen - Manchester - Newquay. That’s true north to south connectivity!

Agreed on fares, have they not got a few mini-embraers like Loganair ?

How long is that Sumburgh to Newquay jaunt timetabled for ?

Aberdeen - Newcastle was inevitably going to see a reduction in demand with the shift away from fossil fuels, and consequently the decline of the oil industry which was the primary source of demand for that route. I'm not surprised that Loganair have pulled the plug on it.

I'd be surprised if Southampton - Newcastle lasts much longer. I flew Southampton - Newcastle a few years ago back when it was Flybe and there were only about 10 other passengers on it. It might do slightly better now than previously, now that LNER have gone from comfortable trains to ones with the comfort levels of a park bench whilst having the cheek to up the fares at the same time, but I can't see that convincing a significant enough number of people to switch from rail via London to a direct flight to make the direct flight financially viable.

Southampton is a great Airport, land and you can be in Southampton Parkway minutes later.

Been down from Edinburgh and Glasgow a few times in Flybe Days and once on Loganair.

flymo

Established Member
How long is that Sumburgh to Newquay jaunt timetabled for ?
Flightradar 24 shows 5 hours 5 minutes.

0820 out of Sumburgh, stops at Aberdeen 0920 - 1000 and again at Manchester 1125 - 1200 arriving Newquay 1325.

Northbound Dep Newquay 1400, stopping at Manchester 1525 - 1600, and again at Aberdeen 1725 - 1800 and arriving Sumburgh 1905.

All in all a grand day out. Never got to try the Newcastle to Aberdeen or Southampton flights, wish I had now..

Status
Not open for further replies.