• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London, 07.10.2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern

School was shut for a Teacher Training Day on Friday so I took a trip into London. I arrived at Folkestone Central, which now has barriers up for ticket checks. For how long, I don't know. I only had a 20 so couldn't use that self service thing as it only gives out small change. The ticket queue was too long and the 13:44 was just arriving so I told the ticket woman I had money to buy a ticket on board. She let me through and I quickly hopped on the train and found a seat in the front carriage. On the approach to Ashford, I looked over to Platform 5 to see if I could see a Slammer on the 14:05 to Victoria. Just a boring old Networker Refurb, unfortunately.

On arrival at Tonbridge, The Down Hastings/Dover platform was crowded with people awaiting the 14:26 to Hastings(13:45 from CX). This turned up packed and as a 4 car formation. Around a mile out of Tonbridge, the train slowed up, thanks to the 13:33 Hastings - Charing X service, which was running slightly late. No ticket check was done until the train was in the Sevenoaks Tunnel. To be honest , I don't think there was even a ticket man on train until Tonbridge. I bought a CDR.

I got off at Charing Cross and bought a Travelcard. At £2, their really great value for money. In Folkestone, I'd have to pay that much to go about 6 miles on a rubbish Kent bus.

After I had my ticket, I took the 11 to Victoria. Major Delays Occurring, due to a signal failure outside the station. The only train on the suburban side was a lone 456. I boarded the delayed 15:23 East Grinstead service, where the doors had a mind of their own so nobody could access the front three coaches. I soon got fed up of waiting and left the train, proceeding to check the boards. Nothing but the 15:47 Hastings/Bognor Regis and 15:33 Horsham were displaying. I knew that an Ex Brighton Express 319 was on the Horsham so I boarded that. It must have been around 15:50 when we finally left. It got so bad that they had to join a pair of 455's outside the station, blocking the slow into Victoria. This meant all the suburban trains had to be sent to the fast at Battersea, stopping the Gatwick and Brighton Expresses outside Battersea Park.

Part 2 to be continued...........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern

I Decided to get off at Clapham and wait for the 16:03 to Watford, which was already delayed by 2 minutes. It finally turned up at 16:08. I got off at Kensington Olympia and took the District to Earls Court. I then got the C1 to South Kensington, where I got the Circle Line to Paddington. I then took the Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway and the PR1 to Harlesden. Next, I got a 313 to Willesden Junction and walked to the high level station for another 313 to West Hampstead.

At West Hampstead, I got off and walked over to WHT. As usual, there wasn't a single train that was running on time. I boarded the 18:12 319 8 - car to Moorgate, which arrived late. Off at Moorgate and down to the WAGN Platforms for the 18:40 313 to Finsbury Park. I then took the Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale, where once again, everything was delayed. The 19:18 317 to Liverpool Street finally turned up at :24 so I caught that. The seats are quite similar to the old CEP's.

At Liverpool Street, everything was delayed due to a vehicle striking a bridge in Bethnal Green. I crossed to the East Anglian Side and took a 315 to Stratford. At Stratford, I took the Jubilee Line to West Ham and the District to Victoria. We then got stuck at Monument because of problems in the Victoria area.

At Victoria, I caught a 377 to East Croydon, the tram to West Croydon and a 456 back into Victoria. Then I got either a 436 or 36 to Vauxhall, not sure which. Next I caught a 455 to Waterloo, walked to Waterloo East, took a 465 down to London Bridge and waited for the 23:07 Dover Priory service. It was so crowded, I took it to Orpington and got off to wait for the next one. It turned up at 23:55 and got into Folkestone at 01:20, two minutes down for some reason. I got home at about half one.

The End. Thanks for reading

TheSlash

Established Member
Reading between the lines, yesterday was actually friday? If so the 455 coupling was an attempt to rescue a defective unit.
I say an attempt because as soon as the units coupled, the fault transfered to the rescuing unit aswell and they both got stuck until fitters got them on the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.