• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[London 2012] It's not Railway News, but who cares!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
London have won the bid for the 2012 olympics.

HOORAH!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Wow, cool huh.....so that's quite a few Railway Project's going ahead then isnt it, I wonder if crossrail will get a move on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tramboy

Not entirely sure about this...call me a pessimist but look at what has happened to all the stadia that other countries have built for the olympics...Barcelona, Athens, Helsinki (winter) to name three...are all unused stadia, and all put the countries in debt.

However, it might be different here as we have no good stadia really. But expect less money into anything outside of London until 2012 is over...that includes railway projects.

Dave

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Well....living in Loughborough....with Loughborough University....the countrys best Sporting University....we are expected to be the place that will benefit quite a bit.

Which means we will probably get loads more forigners visiting the GCR, cant wait!

Nick

Jamie C. Steel said:
Which means we will probably get loads more forigners visiting the GCR, cant wait!

Only when it's a Thomas event ;)

Angus

tramboy said:
However, it might be different here as we have no good stadia really. But expect less money into anything outside of London until 2012 is over...that includes railway projects.

Dave

What about Wembley, Lords, Twickenham, Wimbledon, the Crucible - they are all the greatest venues in the world for their respective sports. And London and the south-east get most of the investment anyway, so I don't see what difference it'll make.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Someone at BTM was extremely excited today about the news. I was using a ticket machine and I heard a 'YES!' loudly to someone on this guy's mobile. It sounded so much like me I couldn't help having a huge grin on my face. He then told me London has got 2012.

Whether they deserve it, I dunno. BTM staff were certainly making it known, the news popping up every so often on screens, there was also an announcement at 1330 'Your attention please, on behalf of FGW, VT and Wessex Trains, we'd like to tell you London has got the 2012 Olympics. Congratulations' or something like that.

Southern did their bit today too... DMI broadcasts wherever I travelled on the network, so I assume it was the same everywhere.

I'm tentatively looking forward to the transformation it's going to bring over the next few years, to a part of London to which for save the DLR putting in a station at Pudding Mill Lane hasn't changed hardly for my entire life. Viva la Revolucíon, as some may say...

NOTE TO MODS: you've Backed the Bid, I think a little bit of editing to 'Host City' is in order. Which reminds me, if my eyes were working properly this evening the Dome is now sporting a massive banner to that effect.

Sprinter

The Dome....another white elephant! What has it been used for since the end of 2000? Hopefully the Olympics will think of something to get the Dome revived, costing taxpayers money for it to lie disused!

When I heard the news I was on a Jubly line train when the Jubille line contraol room came over the tannoy "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Jubilee Line control room announcing that London has been successful in its bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games"

Living in East London myself, I would love to see the transition from bleak landscpe to state of the art, modern sports venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.